Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I suppose I need educating on exactly what "tech" is. When I hear the term, I think of research and development activities into things like aerospace, medical, electronics ... things of that nature. For instance, automobile assembly (such as the Mercedes plant in Vance, the Hyundai plant south of Montgomery) is not tech, but developing the robots and methodology to assemble the parts IS tech. I think of the kinds of goings-on as in the Silicon Valley, Austin, and even Huntsville. Programmers fall under "tech", but why does it take 800 additional people to develop an app? Surely there has to be more to it than that. Or maybe I just don't understand what is meant by an "app" (I think of the one-click buttons on my iPhone as apps).
That's an antiquated view on tech. The economies of Silicon Valley, Seattle, Boston, etc. are the type of areas (software development) within the technology field that is becoming prominent. These recent moves in Birmingham shows there is a major focus in participating the software development and app(lication) innovation. Essentially, this city is striving to become the Southeast hub in these areas of technology. No offense to Huntsville, the areas of tech that make up their area primarily research & development portions of the sector with a focus on public and some private sector industries and very little in software development. The only areas the two cities overlap are the biotech sector with both being heavily involved in research and development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 10:50 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,810 times
I read the article, and I noted one sentence which states, "The company plans to primarily recruit talent from within the city and the surrounding area."

I don't live in Birmingham or the surrounding area, but I would be willing to relocate. Would Shipt consider hiring anyone who is not currently in the greater Birmingham area?

Old 07-19-2018, 07:06 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I read the article, and I noted one sentence which states, "The company plans to primarily recruit talent from within the city and the surrounding area."

I don't live in Birmingham or the surrounding area, but I would be willing to relocate. Would Shipt consider hiring anyone who is not currently in the greater Birmingham area?
No idea. But most tech companies in this market are scrounging for bodies. In truth, Shipt will have to look outside the market because the talent pool isn't deep enough for someone to suddenly vacuum up 850 jobs in one fell swoop.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:37 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
No idea. But most tech companies in this market are scrounging for bodies. In truth, Shipt will have to look outside the market because the talent pool isn't deep enough for someone to suddenly vacuum up 850 jobs in one fell swoop.
Yep. In truth, to the poster above's point, I'm sure they'll be trying to hire the best people available. That local hiring stuff is just fluff for the local papers. You have to understand that there is a segment of folks who want to get a cut of the pie without doing anything, mostly the older generation. Shipt is just giving lip service to that.

People keeping homegrown companies home, is EXACTLY how you grow. You MUST attract people from out-of-state. It's a simple equation.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:

It says "primarily locals" but unless you graduated from one of the computer engineering, computer science, or information technology at either the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) or Auburn University then those are likely the only locals that are going to be hired. These type of job opportunities will likely be posted on nationwide job sites including Indeed and Simply Hired. This is just as much opportunities for outsiders to relocate to the region for a job in their career field as it is for locals.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,810 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Yep. In truth, to the poster above's point, I'm sure they'll be trying to hire the best people available. That local hiring stuff is just fluff for the local papers. You have to understand that there is a segment of folks who want to get a cut of the pie without doing anything, mostly the older generation. Shipt is just giving lip service to that.

People keeping homegrown companies home, is EXACTLY how you grow. You MUST attract people from out-of-state. It's a simple equation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
It says "primarily locals" but unless you graduated from one of the computer engineering, computer science, or information technology at either the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) or Auburn University then those are likely the only locals that are going to be hired. These type of job opportunities will likely be posted on nationwide job sites including Indeed and Simply Hired. This is just as much opportunities for outsiders to relocate to the region for a job in their career field as it is for locals.
I live in the greater Seattle area, and I have met many people working at companies like Amazon and Microsoft who are not from the greater Seattle area, yet have been recruited by companies from elsewhere to work for these high-tech companies.

I am a local resident to these companies, yet I am continually being passed over for jobs near my home. Therefore, what would make me a more competitive candidate for a job with a technology company in Alabama, a state that I have never lived in and have only made a couple of brief visits in my life?

It is also mentioned above that graduates from UAB or Auburn are the only locals that likely to be hired. Doesn't Alabama have other quality universities, most notably University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa or University of Alabama at Huntsville?

One commentator wrote, "You have to understand that there is a segment of folks who want to get a cut of the pie without doing anything, mostly the older generation. Shipt is just giving lip service to that." What does that mean?

Also it is written, "You MUST attract people from out-of-state." Why should a company need to attract people from out-of-state? Shouldn't local people be the first to be considered? As a Washington resident, I am not satisfied with home companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, etc. turning me down and hiring non-locals instead of me. It is more costly to hire out-of-state people, and many of them many not like the region and will move, either back to their previous home location or to somewhere else.

Also, if a company has too many people working for it that are not local to the region, then they may eventually move the company to an area preferred by corporate executives, Board of Directors, investors, and others. I note in my research of Shipt that after Birmingham, the second-largest office for Shipt is in San Francisco, and I know that among the majority of high-technology people nationwide, California is a preferred state to work and to do business in than Alabama. Shipt is owned by Target, a Minnesota-based corporation, and Minnesota is consistently ranked as one of the states with the highest quality of life in the USA. Thus, there is also a high risk that Target, the parent company, may move the headquarters of Shipt to the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:48 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,164,659 times
Quote:
I live in the greater Seattle area, and I have met many people working at companies like Amazon and Microsoft who are not from the greater Seattle area, yet have been recruited by companies from elsewhere to work for these high-tech companies.

I am a local resident to these companies, yet I am continually being passed over for jobs near my home. Therefore, what would make me a more competitive candidate for a job with a technology company in Alabama, a state that I have never lived in and have only made a couple of brief visits in my life?

It is also mentioned above that graduates from UAB or Auburn are the only locals that likely to be hired. Doesn't Alabama have other quality universities, most notably University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa or University of Alabama at Huntsville?

One commentator wrote, "You have to understand that there is a segment of folks who want to get a cut of the pie without doing anything, mostly the older generation. Shipt is just giving lip service to that." What does that mean?

Also it is written, "You MUST attract people from out-of-state." Why should a company need to attract people from out-of-state? Shouldn't local people be the first to be considered? As a Washington resident, I am not satisfied with home companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, etc. turning me down and hiring non-locals instead of me. It is more costly to hire out-of-state people, and many of them many not like the region and will move, either back to their previous home location or to somewhere else.

Also, if a company has too many people working for it that are not local to the region, then they may eventually move the company to an area preferred by corporate executives, Board of Directors, investors, and others. I note in my research of Shipt that after Birmingham, the second-largest office for Shipt is in San Francisco, and I know that among the majority of high-technology people nationwide, California is a preferred state to work and to do business in than Alabama. Shipt is owned by Target, a Minnesota-based corporation, and Minnesota is consistently ranked as one of the states with the highest quality of life in the USA. Thus, there is also a high risk that Target, the parent company, may move the headquarters of Shipt to the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area.
If you apply and have what they are looking for, they are not going to turn you down because you from out of state. They want more local candidates because it's a local company of course , but don't feel any type of way about Shipt. Good luck

Old 07-19-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I understand your concerns. However, Birmingham is in a position where it is aggressively working to build a cluster based economic sector around technology-related industries. The first step is becoming a major data center hub with the DC BLOX flagship announcement, the Shipt massive expansion is the another step, but there will be more moves and announcements to come. The only way things can work for the city to sustain and grow its economy is push for the expansion of higher income industries.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

Shipt and CVS are going to start a long-term partner to provide nationwide medicine deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area