Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:10 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times

Advertisements

https://bhamnow.com/2018/07/11/shipt...n/#more-344988

Quote:
According to documents from the city’s Joint Budget and Finance Committee, Shipt is seeking incentives from the city of Birmingham and Jefferson County to grow and maintain its headquarters in the Magic City. They’re currently in the John Hand Building.

Along with the incentives, the council also approved the city to sell the a parking deck in the John Hand Building to a Shipt subsidiary for $1 million. Proceeds from the sale will be used to establish a fund to improve infrastructure and do weed abatement in the city.
Shipt is proposing to expand its HQ with 880+ new jobs with the average annual salary of $50,000. This is would be a major boost to the growing tech sector. Also this will definitely be a boost to the regional economy and inward migration population growth. I can see this being the start of something much larger for the City for economic growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 09:44 AM

830 posts, read 1,019,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post

Shipt is proposing to expand its HQ with 880+ new jobs with the average annual salary of $50,000. This is would be a major boost to the growing tech sector. Also this will definitely be a boost to the regional economy and inward migration population growth. I can see this being the start of something much larger for the City for economic growth.
https://www.citylab.com/solutions/20...-whale/564080/

Quote:
These sorts of economic big bangs can happen anywhere, not just on the coasts. Just last December, Birmingham-based e-delivery startup Shipt was acquired by Target for $550 million. Shipt was founded by a Birmingham entrepreneur who managed a local team of over 200 and raised capital from Alabama investors—all of whom got a windfall. Birmingham is poised to reap the benefits of the Shipt acquisition for many years to come, including a bevy of new mentors and investors supporting a new generation of startups.
All it takes is one superstar company or startup to change the regional economic landscape and outlook. It's why so many cities are investing in incubators and programs to facilitate relationships with sources of venture capital. But once those companies start to scale up, cities have to step up to keep 'em.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:

Now THIS is somewhere I can get on board. City of Birmingham really needs to step up to the plate and keep these guys here. That's how it happens. If they lose Shipt, well.....let's just say they can't lose Shipt if they want a future. If you can't keep homegrown companies then you won't attract companies from elsewhere.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:03 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:

Potentially good for Birmingham, but I'm not sure how it involves the "tech sector". Shipt is an internet-based grocery delivery service isn't it?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Potentially good for Birmingham, but I'm not sure how it involves the "tech sector". Shipt is an internet-based grocery delivery service isn't it?
Yes. If Birmingham hangs on to them though, that's about as related to the tech sector as Amazon's distribution center.

It does kinda speak volumes about where Birmingham's tech sector stands when so many of our residents don't even really know what the tech sector is.

With that being said, I don't think it is completely unfair to label them a tech company. I'll call 'em allied tech. In the same ballpark as Uber.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:42 PM

302 posts, read 335,789 times
Not sure I'm following the nuance about whether Shipt is a "tech" company or not. Yes, much of the tech and startup culture is how a brand positions itself ("technically" speaking, Amazon is just a warehousing and distribution company).

Not only retaining Shipt, but proactively supporting its growth and HQ base in Birmingham has profound ramifications. This is not akin to landing an Amazon distribution center. It is more comparable to Amazon locating a portion of their ecommerce operation in the region.

This arrangement between the city/county/state and Shipt lends us bona fide credentials when recruiting tech companies and positioning this area as an attractive tech hub, albeit an emerging one.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:03 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Yes. If Birmingham hangs on to them though, that's about as related to the tech sector as Amazon's distribution center.

It does kinda speak volumes about where Birmingham's tech sector stands when so many of our residents don't even really know what the tech sector is.

With that being said, I don't think it is completely unfair to label them a tech company. I'll call 'em allied tech. In the same ballpark as Uber.
Shipt is an app that does something for you. So is Uber. The very definition of tech.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t...ogy_sector.asp

Look in the mirror, pal.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
LIVE Shipt announcement on FB.

Governor opened with some remarks (pretty sure she called them "Shift" at one point... ).

Bill Smith (CEO) then spoke. Mentioned these were new "highly-skilled, high paying jobs".

Randall Woodfin up now.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:09 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

Okay. Gotta say it. This is just absolutely bizarre. Uber is nothing more than an app that provides a distribution channel for services. A wildly successful app, but an app nonetheless.

Shipt is the same thing, but one that has managed to latch onto some of the most forward-looking retailers around. I mean, holy sh*t, you might as well say that the iPhone is about as related to the tech sector as the phone company. That's how absurd your point is.

Hey, I'm not a sunshine pumper. There are times when I will point out what's wrong with some of the more flagrant boosterism you see here. But I don't get this weird compulsion you have to downplay whatever good that happens in this area. I mean, let me do you a kindness here. If you walked into any group of tech people, whether in Birmingham or Seattle or Silicon Valley and actually repeated that first sentence of your post, you would get laughed out of the room. You can thank me later for clueing you in.

So to review. Shipt is an app. It is a wildly successful app, one that was homegrown in Birmingham, so much so that Target paid a half-billion to have it. Now, Shipt will be expanding its payroll dramatically, adding programmers and the whatnot to its roster. And it will likely be doing it in Birmingham.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:35 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Yeah, this major announcement will be a game change because of this also boost the urban multiplier effect towards other tech based jobs also well. Birmingham may in fact become a Southeastern tech hub for sure now since the momentum is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area