Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 2,728 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions?

I love the area around Bush Blvd and am looking to buy there. I'd like to stay closer to downtown and rehab an older home to live in.

I prefer an established neighborhood with sidewalks to jog on and relatively low crime. I'd like for the neighborhood to be diverse and well maintained.

I do not have kids so the school system isn't that important to me.

Are there any areas besides this that I should look at?

About me:

32 y/o
Recently moved here from Atlanta
Currently stay off of 280
Not interested in living in a subdivision
Prefer a tudor or craftsman to renovate

Last edited by B'HAMGIRL; 07-25-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,181,130 times
have you considered norwood?

many people think it's one of the next neighborhoods to take off. definitely not there yet, though. it's "established" in the sense that it has old homes, sidewalks, trees, etc. not sure about crime... maybe similar to bush hills / fairview? still quite a few dilapidated homes in the area that cost next to nothing. I have a few friends that have bought houses there and are renovating them. the location near the future stadium / topgolf / uptown / caraway seems to be reason for optimism.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
have you considered norwood?

many people think it's one of the next neighborhoods to take off. definitely not there yet, though. it's "established" in the sense that it has old homes, sidewalks, trees, etc. not sure about crime... maybe similar to bush hills / fairview? still quite a few dilapidated homes in the area that cost next to nothing. I have a few friends that have bought houses there and are renovating them. the location near the future stadium / topgolf / uptown / caraway seems to be reason for optimism.
Thank you! I haven't heard of Norwood so i'll take a drive through the area over the weekend and see what's what! Just curious- are your friends planning on living in the area or are they just investment properties?

Old 07-25-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'HAMGIRL View Post
Thank you! I haven't heard of Norwood so i'll take a drive through the area over the weekend and see what's what! Just curious- are your friends planning on living in the area or are they just investment properties?
one of them lives with his wife and 2 young kids there.

another just bought a house, but isn't living there while he renovates it. I think his plan is to move in after (instead of flipping it), but I'm not sure.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:55 PM

1,566 posts, read 3,266,761 times
Also take a look at Roebuck Springs. It's much further along than Norwood and Bush Hills in the neighborhood revitalization vein (never really de-vitalized like Norwood and parts of Bush Hills). Also, I've been gone from the BHM for more than four years, but I would suspect that the sections of Woodlawn that are closest to Avondale would be a good bet for an investor who isn't faint of heart. Finally, if Bessemer is an option for you, take a look at this Historic Lakewood area off Fourth Street. There is a strong core of neighbors in that little pocket and they're very active in preservation.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 AM

157 posts, read 150,210 times
Glen Iris area?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:58 AM

OP, what does "closer to downtown" mean to you? Directly adjacent? Under a certain driving time/distance?

Old 07-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Also take a look at Roebuck Springs. It's much further along than Norwood and Bush Hills in the neighborhood revitalization vein (never really de-vitalized like Norwood and parts of Bush Hills). Also, I've been gone from the BHM for more than four years, but I would suspect that the sections of Woodlawn that are closest to Avondale would be a good bet for an investor who isn't faint of heart. Finally, if Bessemer is an option for you, take a look at this Historic Lakewood area off Fourth Street. There is a strong core of neighbors in that little pocket and they're very active in preservation.
Thank you! I'll take a look at some of these homes and drive around the neighborhood. If I can't find what i'm looking for I may consider Bessemer but everyone i've met here so far says stay away!

Old 07-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
OP, what does "closer to downtown" mean to you? Directly adjacent? Under a certain driving time/distance?
Less than 10-15 minutes driving distance.

I work from home so I don't need to be close to a certain location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: