Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Show the research. Show the data. Seriously. Show it. If you can't provide it and don't know of any airline that has up to date numbers which show we are at the point where BHM to the Bay Area makes sense, then you can just say that too.

Shipt doesn't have anywhere near the pull some of you guys seem to think it does.
Show the data? Seriously? Why don't you show where the data isn't there? You seem so sure of it. You are asking him to show data that we obviously cannot provide. The airlines are going to be the only ones who have that type of data, it's not just floating around out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 06:40 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
True. I'm not a fan those types as well, but its hard not to notice a consistent pattern when it comes to his post about Birmingham.
Are you talking about bfmx1? He doesn't really have any posting history ... a total of 67 posts. I don't think I've ever seen him post anything at all about any subject, and certainly not to a consistent point.

But ... what I interpret what he said is (hopefully not putting words in his mouth) that it is not the Airport Authority's decisiion to make as to whether new flights are added. Sure, they can convey their wishes and lobby all they want, but it's up to the airlines to decide if it's feasible and profit-making for them. If it was only up to the local Airport Authorities, every airport in the state would have non-stops to every major city in the country. But it's not their call.

And I think that's what he said ... he wasn't being negative or unrealistic, just pointing out the process.

Just saying "discussions are in progress" doesn't mean anything ... discussions are always in progress or the person at the airport isn't doing his job.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:23 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Are all of you worrying that Birmingham is situated in a poor location? I don't think so; in fact, its geographic location is superior to most other cities outside the Northeast. It's amenities will definitely attract top talent.

In Birmmingham, you are...

2 hours away from Atlanta, which has the largest airport in the world.
2 hours away from Chattanooga, with its scenic mountains and river gorge
90 minutes from the summit of Mount Cheaha, tallest mountain in the state.
90 minutes from Huntsville, the aerospace capital of the South, home to a NASA facility and world-class museum.
1 hour from the U of Alabama.
4 hours away from Pensacola Beach, with its white sand beaches and crystal clear, 85 degree waters, bayous, and unspoiled longleaf pine forests.
3.5 hours from Mobile, with historic architecture and mardi gras to rival New Orleans.
1 hour from DeSoto Caverns
Close to numerous civil war and civil rights sites

Of course, Birmingham has many hills within it, and they stay very lush and green, thanks to abundant rain year-round. The climate is just right--mild winters that see some snow, but not enough to even have to shovel it.

On top of that, you've got some of the most affordable real estate and lowest property taxes in the nation.

Even Sacramento can't even come close when it comes to proximity to so many attractions, natural and man-made. Sacramento is also more expensive.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 PM

377 posts, read 340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Are you talking about bfmx1? He doesn't really have any posting history ... a total of 67 posts. I don't think I've ever seen him post anything at all about any subject, and certainly not to a consistent point.

But ... what I interpret what he said is (hopefully not putting words in his mouth) that it is not the Airport Authority's decisiion to make as to whether new flights are added. Sure, they can convey their wishes and lobby all they want, but it's up to the airlines to decide if it's feasible and profit-making for them. If it was only up to the local Airport Authorities, every airport in the state would have non-stops to every major city in the country. But it's not their call.

And I think that's what he said ... he wasn't being negative or unrealistic, just pointing out the process.

Just saying "discussions are in progress" doesn't mean anything ... discussions are always in progress or the person at the airport isn't doing his job.
I didn't get that from the commentary, I did get that from this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Did you even read what I wrote? Trust me, I know the business.

I said that normally I'd laugh about that flight talk, but in this case, there is a bigger chance of it happening due to Shipt's CEO on the board. Duh.

You do understand that the Authority governs the airport and works closely with staff? This means that there will be an EFFORT to try and make that sort of route happen. It may or may not happen, but it won't be lack of effort.
It seemed that he was addressing the idea that having someone like that on the Birmingham Airport Authority will increase the likelihood and intensity of the push from Birmingham to gain more flights in this case to San Francisco and/or Boston as he appeared doubtful of it. As Mississippi Alabama pointed out whether it happens or not it will not be for lack of trying and the Authority will likely become much more aggressive and creative in adding more airlines to the city. As far as I know the board having this level of vision and support for such initiatives is a first and frankly having more people like this on the Airport Authority is yet another sign of Birmingham "acting it's age" and thinking big. Having support from city entities (like the airport authority) does bode well for initiatives like this.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:29 AM

666 posts, read 516,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
He does not. If the consumer base also includes business travelers. If there is a growing demand for more non stop direct flights between those cities because of the increase in business there then it will come. That poster is too persistent with negativity and non-objective critiques. Most changes usually occurs from the business community leadership in this city (as in most Southern cities) so what they generally pursue they tend to get want/need.
This is basically what I said. If there's enough demand, then it'll come. I don't understand your offense to what I said. I am in Birmingham all the time and do know what I'm talking about so I don't appreciate you badgering me just because we appear to disagree sometimes.

"Most changes usually occurs from the business community leadership..." Is that objective?

"(as in most Southern Cities)"... So it's different in Northern cities? What objective data analysis did you pull together to support this?

If there's one "pattern" that I've noticed and others as well is that you and a couple others spew pseudo-objective information then bully anyone who questions it. I don't see any requirement for objectivity here... ever.

But this is just absurd if you think this one guy is going to single handily entice a direct flight without bona fide demand.

Last edited by bfmx1; 09-10-2018 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-10-2018, 09:37 AM

666 posts, read 516,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

You did a pretty good job of summing up what I'm saying. It's simple economics. It's NOT that he cannot have a positive effect! But the mantra that he can finally "lead the team to victory" is unmerited.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:54 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Why don't you read the BBJ. There is an article about increased numbers shows it
I didn't see an article showing the data showing increased demand for a nonstop from BHM to the bay...

Last edited by toosie; 09-10-2018 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post

Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Show the data? Seriously? Why don't you show where the data isn't there? You seem so sure of it. You are asking him to show data that we obviously cannot provide. The airlines are going to be the only ones who have that type of data, it's not just floating around out there.
The fact that no airline is rushing to provide nonstop service from Birmingham to the Bay is the only evidence I have.

I look forward to the "I told you so" posts when Birmingham gets that flight, even if it isn't for another 5 years.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
This is basically what I said. If there's enough demand, then it'll come. I don't understand your offense to what I said. I am in Birmingham all the time and do know what I'm talking about so I don't appreciate you badgering me just because we appear to disagree sometimes.

"Most changes usually occurs from the business community leadership..." Is that objective?

"(as in most Southern Cities)"... So it's different in Northern cities? What objective data analysis did you pull together to support this?

If there's one "pattern" that I've noticed and others as well is that you and a couple others spew pseudo-objective information then bully anyone who questions it. I don't see any requirement for objectivity here... ever.

But this is just absurd if you think this one guy is going to single handily entice a direct flight without bona fide demand.
What is the purpose of this post? No one cares, dude.. to an audience that cares, but it is not those of us contributing to the constructive discussions on this sub-forum. This post is badgering, so the next time any of your posts that comes with this non-sense directed towards me I'm reporting it.

FYI, in your previous posts in your own admission about not knowing what goes on here in Birmingham, so I don't have anything else to say...

Last edited by jero23; 09-10-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 06:22 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
10 or so posts have been deleted for being off topic or orphaned - and others edited for personal remarks (also off topic).

Please stop bickering and derailing the thread - it’s barely been on topic at all. If you think a poster is chronically negative or even trolling, then don’t engage them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area