Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 AM

240 posts, read 504,549 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I may be relocating to Birmingham and was wondering if people bike around the city to get to work downtown (assuming you live close-in like southside) and if there are any lanes for bicyclists?

Also, are there parks for people to ride and hike in around town (not mountainbiking)?

In general, how is the park system especially around downtown and southside?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 116,760 times
Hi Todd4. I would say that you would be in a small minority if you cycle to work, but this is based on my work experience from seven years ago in the UAB area so others may have a newer observation. There are no bike lanes. There are, however, places to bike. There is a long trail alongside Lakeshore in Homewood where people bike, jog, etc. daily. I live on Shades Mountain, and while there are no bike trails per se, I see cyclists regularly in my neighborhood and also in the Homewood area. A friend of mine bikes her child to the Montessori school in Homewood.

There is a string of parks along Highland Ave. (in the southside/forest park area) for recreation, but not hiking/biking. Google Rufner Mountain and check out their trails etc.

Birminghamians love their cars! If you are looking for a place where biking to work, walking to entertainment, and hoping on public transportation are a way of life, you will be disappointed. There was a campaign several years ago to foster cooperation between Bham and the surrounding cities of Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Homewood, etc. so that the greater bham area could have a unified public transportation system, biking lanes, trails, etc. but it was defeated. Sigh. Birmingham *is* moving forward, but it is a little like watching paint dry-- slow and subtle.

L.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:40 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,707 times
Currently underway within the city limits of Birmingham, is a project to create the largest urban park in the United States - Red Mountain Park. RMP will be three times larger than Central Park in NYC and already has the land and funding in place. An Executive Director for the park is currently being recruited.

friends of Red Mountain Park :: About the Park (http://www.redmountainpark.org/park_index.php - broken link)

Also located within the city limits is Ruffner Mountain Park....

Ruffner Mountain Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20 minutes south of Birmingham is Oak Mountain State Park which is a 10,000 acre state park filled with hiking and biking trails.

Alabama State Parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area