Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:01 PM

12,696 posts, read 9,206,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Probably long term, Birmingham will enjoy more growth in the tech sector for a number of reasons: 1) More significant entrepreneurial culture; 2) Access to more sources of capital; and 3) UAB vs. UAH. Mind you, this is not a slam on Huntsville.
UAB is ranked higher than UAH by US News, but neither school is all that high. To me, UAH is known more for engineering, and UAB for medicine. UAB has almost double the undergrad enrollment, so likely can afford more diverse curricula. I see both schools as basically commuter colleges, but not to the extent that they once were. I'd give UAB the nod overall, primarily because of its reputation for medical school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 06:41 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,193,893 times
Wouldn't it be cool if it were just called the University of Birmingham?

Similar to other universities in the region named after their cities... Louisville, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Richmond, etc. (All of which, coincidentally, are known primarily as basketball schools).

Old 09-18-2018, 06:59 PM

12,696 posts, read 9,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if it were just called the University of Birmingham?

Similar to other universities in the region named after their cities... Louisville, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Richmond, etc. (All of which, coincidentally, are known primarily as basketball schools).
There's already one by that name in England.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:04 PM

ha! so there is..

maybe Birmingham University then.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,468,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
UAB is ranked higher than UAH by US News, but neither school is all that high. To me, UAH is known more for engineering, and UAB for medicine. UAB has almost double the undergrad enrollment, so likely can afford more diverse curricula. I see both schools as basically commuter colleges, but not to the extent that they once were. I'd give UAB the nod overall, primarily because of its reputation for medical school.
I'm trying to be funny but UAB hasn't been a commuter school in years. Yeah, it has commuter school elements, but those are a part of the legacy of being a large urban university within a major US city. However, 7 in 10 students in undergrad do live on campus or within the 3-5 miles of campus. UAB had been in the midst of its evolution from commuter school to urban university campus when I was still attending, and I graduated from there in the late 00s. If you try to be a commuter student at UAB then you will be hard pressed to find classes that works with your full time work schedule unless you are in graduate school there these days.

UAB has the setup and resources these days to rival more established schools like Georgia Tech, Emory, and Tulane in the South in the medical and STEM sectors. The engineering programs at UAB are gaining more recognition these days because they are known for producing nearly as many engineers as Auburn especially civil engineers. The one thing UAB has said themselves they are going spend more investment in the coming years is upping their production of graduates from their biomedical and computer engineering programs.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 PM

4,987 posts, read 9,071,969 times
I don't think GDP size is the determining factor for a city's tech sector. A city could have a smaller GDP than another but yet have a stronger tech sector. I think both cities are doing a great job in that category anf I see a lot of growth in the future.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:52 AM

441 posts, read 326,465 times
UAB has been rapidly shedding it's commuter school legacy in recent years. Roughly 80% of incoming freshman are now living on campus. There's plan to break ground either this year or next year on another 750 bed dorm and new dining hall. Even for students that don't live directly on campus, more of them are living in nearby apartments or houses in Midtown, Southside, Highland Park, etc rather than at mom and dad's house.

Also, I propose the school be named University at Birmingham so we can keep the same established acronym

Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM

634 posts, read 684,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
It would be akin to calling Minneapolis the Miami of the north because there is water nearby.

That was great, thanks for the chuckle!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM

I do agree that UAB no longer carries the "commuter school" reputation it once did.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:04 PM

157 posts, read 151,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
UAB has been rapidly shedding it's commuter school legacy in recent years. Roughly 80% of incoming freshman are now living on campus. There's plan to break ground either this year or next year on another 750 bed dorm and new dining hall. Even for students that don't live directly on campus, more of them are living in nearby apartments or houses in Midtown, Southside, Highland Park, etc rather than at mom and dad's house.

Also, I propose the school be named University at Birmingham so we can keep the same established acronym
I've only been in B'Ham a few years now and would have never guessed UAB was ever considered a commuter school by some. We live in Glen Iris and I'm surrounded by UAB undergrad and graduate students. I would wager the apartments across the street from me are 70% students or so on Idlewild Circle.

The conditions some of these kids are willing to live in is pretty bad to be honest. Some of these large homes have been chopped up into several units needs some serious maintenance. Glad to hear there is a new option for these kids to live coming online soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area