Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:08 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times

Advertisements

there was a plan to put a movie theater at brookwood, but it looks like that didn't materialize.

totally agree that online shopping plus "lifestyle" centers like the summit are the preferred means of shopping these days (and have been for at least the last 10-15 years). i think people just prefer the convenience these offer over enclosed malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 04:13 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
There is a new plan released by the current owner to evolve the center to include an upscale theater, upscale hotel, and an additional office tower.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 PM

377 posts, read 340,725 times
That's a good idea, they need to be innovative to compete in the age of amazon. The Galleria has been aggressive and is bringing in Dave & Busters to expand their entertainment offerings and be more attractive, perhaps this(theater, hotel, tower) will give it a boost.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 AM

157 posts, read 153,728 times
My wife is an employee of Bayer and was the Marketing Dir for the Summit property until she took over the Pizitiz for them this summer. The amount of effort the Summit puts into maintaining their position as the best retail space in the metro is incredible now that I have seen a glimpse behind the curtain. These developers have to be nimble in real time while also thinking 3, 5 and 10 years down the road.

It's a business where if you don't constantly evolve you die. Brookwood did the later IMO.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 7,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
There is a new plan released by the current owner to evolve the center to include an upscale theater, upscale hotel, and an additional office tower.
Oh nice. I didn't see anything about a new plan, only tossing around ideas according to an article on AL.COM. Those are normally fluff pieces unless you know of more concrete discussions taking place.

Are there any other upscale (I guess that means dine-in) theaters in the area? About the upscale hotel, I'm no Commercial Real Estate mogul but I stayed at the very nice Grand Bohemian in Mountain Brook and it didn't seem very full or crowded. I have a hard time seeing the demand for upscale hotels in Birmingham.

I disagree that the Galleria is thriving. The quality of its stores seems to have gone downhill sharply and perhaps serves a different clientele which is the first step to becoming Century Plaza.

I'm just surprised because most of the places I travel have only seen mall closings in their marginal parts of town. This seems to be the hotspot area from younger people in Birmingham yet they're letting their mall close. I would find it hard to believe anyone would risk a new project in this area other than something simple and sure-money. If the area cannot support a nice mall, why would a company dump millions into high-end dining/theater/hotels? That would be a hard bargain to present to a bank for a loan but stranger things have happened!

I hope it happens, I just don't see a positive trend that would make one feel anything other than not confident.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:04 AM

522 posts, read 846,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamALtoTN View Post
Oh nice. I didn't see anything about a new plan, only tossing around ideas according to an article on AL.COM. Those are normally fluff pieces unless you know of more concrete discussions taking place.

Are there any other upscale (I guess that means dine-in) theaters in the area? About the upscale hotel, I'm no Commercial Real Estate mogul but I stayed at the very nice Grand Bohemian in Mountain Brook and it didn't seem very full or crowded. I have a hard time seeing the demand for upscale hotels in Birmingham.

I disagree that the Galleria is thriving. The quality of its stores seems to have gone downhill sharply and perhaps serves a different clientele which is the first step to becoming Century Plaza.

I'm just surprised because most of the places I travel have only seen mall closings in their marginal parts of town. This seems to be the hotspot area from younger people in Birmingham yet they're letting their mall close. I would find it hard to believe anyone would risk a new project in this area other than something simple and sure-money. If the area cannot support a nice mall, why would a company dump millions into high-end dining/theater/hotels? That would be a hard bargain to present to a bank for a loan but stranger things have happened!

I hope it happens, I just don't see a positive trend that would make one feel anything other than not confident.
This seems to be an updated plan for Brookwood.

https://www.shopbrookwoodvillage.com...compressed.pdf

Old 09-26-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamALtoTN View Post
what type of clientele is that?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
what type of clientele is that?
The type of clientele that wants lower-end brands and who doesn't want to over pay for premium names. I would call them "normal" Americans. Stop trying to bait.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 AM

So providing brands that cater to "normal Americans" is the "first step to becoming Century Plaza."

Got it.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
So providing brands that cater to "normal Americans" is the "first step to becoming Century Plaza."

Got it.
Correct. It starts with nice stores closing and being replaced with lower cost brands/goods. They do well for a few years then people stop going because lower rents/sales don't allow the upkeep they once enjoyed.

Or it can remain a very viable middle of the road mall for many decades to come but then it's not an attraction, it's more of a necessity like a grocery store.

A thriving Olive Garden isn't attracting nice things but maybe nice things isn't what works there. Nothing wrong with that but when your neighbors sell their Mercedes for a Honda, you don't look at them as moving on up. You look at them as probably struggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area