Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 5,948 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in Adger Alabama and we will be moving there within the next month. We know absolutely nothing about the area and would like some help on where would be the best place to rent a house. I dont think there is much around the Adger area but we would like to be no more than 35 minutes away from his job if possible. We have a 3 year old son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 05:32 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Growth seems strong on the I-65 corridor east of that area. Schools may be better there than Bessemer.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 AM

Thank you. I have looked a little in that area but from what I can tell it would be more than 35 minutes for him to get to work, if I am wrong please let me know. I have found some homes I like in the Pleasant Grove and Hueytown areas, are these safe areas?

Old 02-06-2019, 05:21 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
A lot depends on things such as schools, what you enjoy doing in your off time, etc. Can you shed some light on that so we can make a good recommendation?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:32 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Overall, Pleasant Grove and Hueytown are fairly safe. There are also some areas off exit 1 on Interstate 459 that could be reasonable.

With a 3 year old, you will be prioritizing the public school system I would imagine...? You can get from the west side of Hoover to Adger in under 25 minutes according to Google, so that is also something to consider. A price range would be helpful.

There is actually a thread right here: //www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...elp-us-11.html where you should post your question. Give us a little more information, like price range, etc.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:14 PM

1) In what area of town will you be working? Husband will be working in Adger in the coal mine. I will be staying home with my son.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment? Under 1500 if possible has to be a house instead of apartment I have 3 dogs

3) Do you have children? yes one 3 year old. Do they have unique educational needs? no

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? Taking our son to parks, zoos, water parks and pools, and shopping

5) Do you have special medical needs? no

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care? it really doesnt matter but a friendly neighborhood would be nice.

School is important but safety is the most important because my husband works alot and my son and I are home alone alot and we go out and do alot of stuff by ourselves while my husband is at work.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acline2011 View Post
1) In what area of town will you be working? Husband will be working in Adger in the coal mine. I will be staying home with my son.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment? Under 1500 if possible has to be a house instead of apartment I have 3 dogs

3) Do you have children? yes one 3 year old. Do they have unique educational needs? no

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? Taking our son to parks, zoos, water parks and pools, and shopping

5) Do you have special medical needs? no

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care? it really doesnt matter but a friendly neighborhood would be nice.

School is important but safety is the most important because my husband works alot and my son and I are home alone alot and we go out and do alot of stuff by ourselves while my husband is at work.

I would look at the west side of Hoover (relatively safe, relatively good schools, 25 minute commute to Adger). You can find a 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom newer construction home for 1300-1500. Maybe even a little less if the home is older. Neighborhoods to begin your search would include Russet Woods, Lake Cyrus, Deer Valley... but there are several others in the area.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:40 PM

thank you. I will start looking in this area.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:52 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
McCalla would also be a pretty good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: