Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times

Advertisements

if an outside municipality (like peachtree city, ga or murphreesboro, tn) is trying to lure a company away with incentives, then i think this doesn't necessarily apply. and the municipality itself can certainly up the ante on incentives for the business since it's already located there.

again, this applies to moving from one municipality in jefferson county to another. i think in the scenario you describe, all bets are off.

as for the pact/agreement, i agree it's mostly just for show and press. but i don't think it's a bad thing either. and i doubt this was a significant waste of resources to meet, draft the verbiage and approve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:19 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
from the article:

• Cities will not actively pursue a business to move from its current location in Jefferson County to their municipality. ‘Actively pursue’ means to initiate contact with the business directly, with the intent of luring the business through cold calls, visits, mail solicitations, or marketing directed specifically at that business. This does not preclude a municipality from generally marketing itself as a good place to do business or generally advising its residents about the benefits of locating a business there.

• If a business is seeking to move from one municipality in Jefferson County to another: Cities will advise the business that they will not offer financial incentives (sales and property tax abatements, construction sales tax abatements, or any other revenue enhancements through tax relief), free or discounted land, or a lease below market value. This includes abatements and incentives sought through the Industrial Development Board and Downtown Redevelopment Authority where applicable.

in other words, businesses are still free to move about if they want to. obviously nobody can stop that from happening. it's just that the city of hoover, for example, is agreeing not to directly contact encompass and lure them to move to the galleria with incentives.
The philosophy would be to create manufacturing and warehousing job and economic opportunities for the undeveloped areas of the county where greenfield development is plentiful. Meanwhile the white collar jobs could be focused on the urban core areas where more concentrated, mixed-use office developments would be feasible. Basically, it looks like officials are working on a metropolitan areawide strategy that will encompass all 7 counties for regional incentives for economic development. The collaboration would allow jurisdictions to work together to use the regional amenities and assets as incentives. It is a pretty ambitious concept that is achievable for the metro area on the economic development front.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...pledge-to.html

Last edited by jero23; 04-04-2019 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-04-2019, 02:22 PM

666 posts, read 516,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
if an outside municipality (like peachtree city, ga or murphreesboro, tn) is trying to lure a company away with incentives, then i think this doesn't necessarily apply. and the municipality itself can certainly up the ante on incentives for the business since it's already located there.

again, this applies to moving from one municipality in jefferson county to another. i think in the scenario you describe, all bets are off.

as for the pact/agreement, i agree it's mostly just for show and press. but i don't think it's a bad thing either. and i doubt this was a significant waste of resources to meet, draft the verbiage and approve it.
Yep agree. Its certainly NOT a bad thing. Can anyone interpret Jero's post?

Old 04-04-2019, 03:16 PM

302 posts, read 335,743 times
Bottom line, there is ample evidence to suggest that metros with regional cooperation (or governance) frameworks benefit and those that don't, stagnate. This is good for the region.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:31 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbirmingham View Post
I'm not going to spend (waste) the time to respond to all the different replies when I think they are disingenuous at best. When people are responding with things like "What's the expression? Boom goes the dynamite?" to refer to something that isn't an accurate representation of what is going on, an internet forum is not the best place to communicate.

Mayor Brocato said this about the agreement:

“In the past, our cities tended to compete rather than cooperate,” said Hoover Mayor Frank Brocato. “Today, economic development favors metro areas that work together better as a region. While businesses can still chose to relocate in our county, this group of mayors has committed that we won’t try to initiate those moves, and we will focus on more a comprehensive strategy for growth.”

If you can't agree that that is a move in the right direction, then I can't help you. Every city will be stronger when the whole region is stronger.
“Nobody Wins When the Family Fueds...”

Old 04-04-2019, 04:20 PM

302 posts, read 335,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
“Nobody Wins When the Family Fueds...”
Accurate.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:25 AM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
Jeffco Commissioner Steve Ammons also said the group plans to create a pool of regional incentives (via contribution from individual Jeffco cities) that can be used to attract businesses that would bring significant operations to the region.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:44 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
Jeffco Commissioner Steve Ammons also said the group plans to create a pool of regional incentives (via contribution from individual Jeffco cities) that can be used to attract businesses that would bring significant operations to the region.
When those incentives are actually put in place and available, that could be a step in the right direction. Talking about it during a photo op is nice and all but not actually that meaningful. Yet.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:24 PM

377 posts, read 340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Yep agree. Its certainly NOT a bad thing. Can anyone interpret Jero's post?
It's pretty clear cut. The strategy being employed is one to bring business to the 7 county metro area as opposed to a specific city or town. For example if a company is looking to bring light industrial jobs to a new space a small town in the area can offer up its property but by virtue of being small and not part of a larger area it will be limited to perhaps one property to offer that doesn't have everything the company is looking for making it less attractive and probably excluding it from contention. Contrast that with officials representing a larger area with much more in terms of resources. They are capable of presenting several green fields with several pros to match making the area a much more attractive option and as history has shown this line of thinking performs better at attracting business. White collar jobs that are concentrated in urban areas and mixed use office developments in urban and suburban areas the same logic applies. It seems the primary thrust is for warehouse and industrial jobs and a secondary eye on white collar jobs.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:29 PM

377 posts, read 340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
More good news! I take this as more confirmation that this historic agreement among the decision makers has some teeth in it and more importantly this is not simply a photo-op, these leaders are serious about Greater Birmingham elevating and are committed to working together to see it happen. It's almost unbelievable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area