Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,889 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Birmingham Area. We are looking at homes. I've seen some listings in Helena with zip code 35022, which share the same zip code as Bessemer. Helena has good reviews for low crime but I've read that Bessemer is not a safe place to live. We are still in California but plan to arrive in Alabama by end of May. I'm looking at listings on line and trying to determine (long distance) if I should even consider a Helena address with zip code 35022. Low crime rating is a major consideration for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 02:20 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,190,586 times
i don't know much about bessemer or helena, but just doing a quick google maps search for "35022", it looks like most everything within that zip is relatively suburban or even rural. i wouldn't think crime would be terribly high here. any particular area/subdivision you're looking at?

also, what are your other critieria/considerations? commute time, schools, proximity to cultural amenities, etc?

Old 04-18-2019, 02:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 6,941,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEZLUP View Post
We are moving to the Birmingham Area. We are looking at homes. I've seen some listings in Helena with zip code 35022, which share the same zip code as Bessemer. Helena has good reviews for low crime but I've read that Bessemer is not a safe place to live. We are still in California but plan to arrive in Alabama by end of May. I'm looking at listings on line and trying to determine (long distance) if I should even consider a Helena address with zip code 35022. Low crime rating is a major consideration for us.

Hey there. We certainly try to give good advice, but need some more information to give you the best advice. Birmingham is a pretty diverse market with one area appeal to one set of tastes and interest while another area having a completely different appeal.

What are your needs? Where will you be working? What are your major interests in terms of things to do, et al? What else can you tell us?

Old 04-18-2019, 02:41 PM

We are retiring. (My husband's family lives in the Birmingham area). So, no commute considerations. We looked at Hoover, Helena, Calera, Pehlam, Chelsea, Warrior, Trussville even Oneonta. A number of subdivisions are being seriously considered. There is a subdivision in Helena called Timberlake, which appears to be nice. But, when I did a little digging I saw that the zipcode for this subdivision was the same as for Bessemer. All of the city ratings show that Bessemer has a lot of crime, overall. (I'm sure there are safe areas in Bessemer but I've seen listing showing it as one of the top ten high crime areas in Alabama.)

Old 04-18-2019, 02:50 PM

10,494 posts, read 6,941,674 times
Quote:
We are retiring. (My husband's family lives in the Birmingham area). So, no commute considerations. We looked at Hoover, Helena, Calera, Pehlam, Chelsea, Warrior, Trussville even Oneonta. A number of subdivisions are being seriously considered. There is a subdivision in Helena called Timberlake, which appears to be nice. But, when I did a little digging I saw that the zipcode for this subdivision was the same as for Bessemer. All of the city ratings show that Bessemer has a lot of crime, overall. (I'm sure there are safe areas in Bessemer but I've seen listing showing it as one of the top ten high crime areas in Alabama.)

Bessemer does have its issues.

To me, I would offer up Helena and Hoover as providing the right balance of amenities for the money. In truth, the entirety of North Shelby County, especially near Indian Springs would be a great area to consider. Hope that helps!

Old 04-18-2019, 03:05 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks! Really appreciate the info.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:36 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,190,586 times
if you do a zip code search on google maps, you'll see just how huge these areas are:

Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM

446 posts, read 391,510 times
Check out this zip code map of the area:

https://www.zipmap.net/Alabama/Shelby_County/Helena.htm

What area do your in-laws live in? I would not consider Oneonta a part of B'ham. I personally would not consider Warrior, but TBH I don't know the area. Once upon a time I would have said Hoover is nice, but not anymore, and not for several years now.

North Shelby County has some nice areas. Vestavia Hills is also nice.

In your place, I would travel to B'ham and spend a week or two touring the different areas and talking to good real estate agents. It might also be a good idea to rent first, and spend a longer time looking for areas you might like buy in.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2019, 06:55 AM

839 posts, read 810,985 times
What's your price range? Coming from California, you're likely to be able to afford way way more than you could there.

I live in the Warrior area (Smoke Rise, just to the north in Blount County). It's pretty far out, and there aren't many amenities. The only decent sized grocery store is a Piggly Wiggly. For most regular, every day shopping, you have to drive at least 12-15 miles to Gardendale or Fultondale. Traffic isn't bad, though, so driving even to downtown Birmingham only takes about 25 minutes outside of morning rush hour. This hasn't really developed into a true bedroom community of Birmingham, yet, and is more of a hybrid between a suburb and an old, country southern town. And Warrior isn't exactly a charming southern town, either. LOL.

If affordable, inner suburbs like Vestavia Hills and Homewood are wonderful places, with beautiful, shady neighborhoods and plenty of amenities.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:43 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,948,338 times
Quote:
Timberlake is the subdivision right off from the Bessemer Airport. That area is Helena and on the good side of Bessemer (south). Remember that good is relative.

That said, I would come visit and ride around everywhere before you commit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area