Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 PM

14 posts, read 13,265 times

Advertisements

With the new Stadium, Interstate, and all the redevelopment we could be looking an epic new Birmingham skyline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 07:54 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,224 times
No.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,198 times
When I think of epic skylines, I think of Manhattan, Hong Kong, Miami, Dubai, etc.

Places where 1000/near 1000 footers have and will continue to go up.

Not a place where no 300 footer has gone up in 3 decades.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:18 AM

666 posts, read 515,000 times
I've been a long-time reader of skyscraperpage.com and the general consensus is that a building has to be 500ft to be considered a skyscraper, thus it's hard to call something a "skyline" without a skyscraper.

I think the new bridges will be quite a bit taller than the old right? If anything this will hurt the "skyline" because it will compete with the building height. I'm not saying it will "dwarf" the two tallest, but the higher the roads are, the shorter the buildings appear.

Great skylines in the US are (IMO)
Manhattan
Chicago
LA
San Fran
Dallas
Houston
Austin
ATL
Charlotte
Denver
Minneapolis
Philly
Pittsburge
Miami

I'm sure I forgot a few.

All of those have multiple buildings over 500, 700, and some over 1000 feet.

Birmingham's tallest building is the old SouthTrust building (Shipt now) and it's like 450 feet. Shorter than Mobile and would pretty much be considered a midrise in the cities mentioned above.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:55 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,224 times
right.

even the two new residential "towers" currently going up (vesta and ascend) are probably barely 200 ft tall (and maybe not even that).

Old 08-09-2019, 12:23 PM

666 posts, read 515,000 times
Btw, how's that RSA tower in Mobile doing? I was always kinda surprised that got approved and built. I don't see Mobile as being a city that can support that. It was David Bronner's pride and joy when he was over the RSA but I'm unsure about the financial feasability. I was so mad when I learned they were building taller than Bham. Yep it's a pride thing. Stupid Mobile and their "mardi gras started here" mantra. No offense but seriously ha.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:23 PM

12,948 posts, read 9,467,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I've been a long-time reader of skyscraperpage.com and the general consensus is that a building has to be 500ft to be considered a skyscraper, thus it's hard to call something a "skyline" without a skyscraper.

Shorter than Mobile and would pretty much be considered a midrise in the cities mentioned above.
Anything between 15 and 45 stories is considered a high rise. As you said, anything above 500 feet is a skyscraper. There's only one skyscraper in Alabama, the RSA building in Mobile. It looks a bit out of place actually, but a lot of its height is the spire.

Huntsville is the only major city in Alabama without even a high-rise, let alone a skyscraper. At one time, the city had a 10-story limit on buildings downtown, but that's no longer in effect except near historic residential areas.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:18 PM

157 posts, read 153,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post

I think the new bridges will be quite a bit taller than the old right? If anything this will hurt the "skyline" because it will compete with the building height. I'm not saying it will "dwarf" the two tallest, but the higher the roads are, the shorter the buildings appear.

Great skylines in the US are (IMO)
Manhattan
Chicago
LA
San Fran
Dallas
Houston
Austin
ATL
Charlotte
Denver
Minneapolis
Philly
Pittsburge
Miami

I'm sure I forgot a few.

All of those have multiple buildings over 500, 700, and some over 1000 feet.

Birmingham's tallest building is the old SouthTrust building (Shipt now) and it's like 450 feet. Shorter than Mobile and would pretty much be considered a midrise in the cities mentioned above.
Some of my favorites in addition to your list:
Boston
Seattle
Cleveland (Yea, Cleveland has Key Tower and some other really cool buildings)
Jersey City
Cincinnati

Old 08-09-2019, 02:19 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Hey, I'm as proud a citizen as anybody. But, no, we have a modest skyline.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:21 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,414,841 times
Don’t need one.

Skylines look nice from afar, or for pictures. But ground level building density is much more important imo. Birmingham’s growth in that area, especially in Parkside, looks way more impressive.

I’m sure Charlottes skyline and skyscrapers looks awesome, but compare the ground level density to a city like Portland, and it doesn’t even come close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area