Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 02:48 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,942,145 times

Advertisements

Why do people see this as such a terrible thing? You don't like the price? Well it costs big money to build roads anywhere. You don't like where they laid it out? Well the terrain is horrific in that area, and there are many established suburbs. You have to locate it far out, no other choice.

I don't see why anyone would be against it. I mean, it's going to compete against other projects, but I would say that it's a needed road. People say they didn't need 840 in Tennessee or 269 in Memphis but there are more and more cars on those every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:30 PM

10,486 posts, read 6,920,120 times
Dunno. To me, it's needed to develop northern Jefferson County.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 PM

302 posts, read 331,233 times
Thing is, it's not needed. Even the most liberal traffic studies show only a slight reduction in congestion among existing interstates. At $100mm a mile, that's hard to justify. A toll is probably the only shot this project has at being completed within our lifetimes.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:43 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,726,396 times
It's mostly a combination of cost/use.

As for the "don't like the cost; it costs big money to build roads anywhere" thing... well... sort of.

But at 100 million a mile, this is several times more expensive than your average road.

Also, imo, northern (and western) JeffCo don't really need to be developed. This is not San Francisco where land is so expensive people need to be 50 miles from the city center to rent a shoebox. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of parcels that can be developed of all types within 15-20 miles of downtown.

I'm just thinking of what all could be bought with $5 billion, even if it was only used for improving roads/traffic, and I can't think of too many ways to spend $5 billion that would be less efficient. And yes, I understand that certain federal dollars can only be used for federal projects... but this still just seems like an incredibly poor return on investment.

With 5 billion, I coulda buried 20/59 through downtown, widened 65 from downtown to Alabaster, as well as 20 and 59 out to Leeds/Trussville, fixed a few 280 bottlenecks, and still have a billion or two leftover.

Last edited by steveklein; 08-14-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 PM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
The terrain is bad, but not much more than 280. I had hoped to cash in on any northern connector, but had to dump my property in the Centerpoint area. Loosely - big major road = development and increased property values.

B'ham will eventually need it, and the cost of acquiring properties now will be cheaper than in the future. Would it be wise to start now? Maybe, maybe not.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The terrain is bad, but not much more than 280. I had hoped to cash in on any northern connector, but had to dump my property in the Centerpoint area. Loosely - big major road = development and increased property values.

B'ham will eventually need it, and the cost of acquiring properties now will be cheaper than in the future. Would it be wise to start now? Maybe, maybe not.
Can't recall but hasn't the necessary ROW been acquired already?

Old 08-15-2019, 06:48 AM

839 posts, read 807,401 times
I moved here right after college at age 22 and am now an almost 53-year old grandfather. I've been hearing about this northern beltline the entire time.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:30 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,942,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
Can't recall but hasn't the necessary ROW been acquired already?
Some of it has, along with the environmental work.

As to your previous post, I could probably get on board with it not being needed at present. Most highways like this have at least SOME data pointing toward them, even if they are ultimately pork. But it's the future that must be considered.

I personally think the layout of this road is wrong. I think it needs to only stretch from I-22 down to I-20. But, I'm sure ALDOT had a reason for laying it out where they did.

At the end of the day though, I think a fundamental change is necessary to improve our roadway system. I don't know that adding more lanes and more roads is the answer. I think we need to rework the interchanges, that's where the congestion lies.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Some of it has, along with the environmental work.

As to your previous post, I could probably get on board with it not being needed at present. Most highways like this have at least SOME data pointing toward them, even if they are ultimately pork. But it's the future that must be considered.

I personally think the layout of this road is wrong. I think it needs to only stretch from I-22 down to I-20. But, I'm sure ALDOT had a reason for laying it out where they did.

At the end of the day though, I think a fundamental change is necessary to improve our roadway system. I don't know that adding more lanes and more roads is the answer. I think we need to rework the interchanges, that's where the congestion lies.
Thanks. And yes, there are definitely more items that warrant priority.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:45 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,181,928 times
agree with steveklein... for me, it's all the other things that could've been done with that money (from a transportation standpoint) that seem more beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area