Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 02:14 PM

666 posts, read 518,209 times

Advertisements

To the OP.. An Atlantic Station would really be awesome in Southtown or anywhere around Birmingham really. Unfortunately, Birmingham doesn't have the depth needed to support something like that.

The Summit meets the needs of the metro and other attempts at what I'll call mid-tier shopping/restaurants/grocery areas have failed. There's not enough demand in BHM to support something like this.

Too many stores have not survived in BHM market (outside of the Summit) like zGallerie, Whole Foods in Hoover, Newks, Brookwood Mall, while they generally do well in many other markets. Just not enough people making enough money at the end of the day.

WOULD IT BE COOL? YESSSS it would be super awesome.. And it could be a potential one day if/when Bham proper continues to thrive.

But right now, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 04:30 PM

14 posts, read 13,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I've always pictured Time's Square being there. Then I remember, oh yeah, we're talking about Birmingham.

Funny how nobody has even tried to dismantle this OP it's so ridiculous.

He clearly writes for BhamNow.
Dude. What's wrong with Birmingham's boards. I clearly don't write for Birmingham Now. I was trying to join in a discussion with a message board I usually just read, my bad. I Hope you good folk don't treat all infrequently posters this way. It's no way to build a board community. The sad thing is most of Birmingham boards are like this.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 PM

14 posts, read 13,307 times
Quote:
To the OP.. An Atlantic Station would really be awesome in Southtown or anywhere around Birmingham really. Unfortunately, Birmingham doesn't have the depth needed to support something like that.

The Summit meets the needs of the metro and other attempts at what I'll call mid-tier shopping/restaurants/grocery areas have failed. There's not enough demand in BHM to support something like this.

Too many stores have not survived in BHM market (outside of the Summit) like zGallerie, Whole Foods in Hoover, Newks, Brookwood Mall, while they generally do well in many other markets. Just not enough people making enough money at the end of the day.

WOULD IT BE COOL? YESSSS it would be super awesome.. And it could be a potential one day if/when Bham proper continues to thrive.

But right now, no way.
I was just looking at the location and how it would change the city's skyline. The southside already has a very impressive skyline, but a couple towers @ Southtown would be a game changer? Kinda of related. What about a circle city mall type of development southwest of UAB? I lived in IND for while, and it was a go to mall for some things.

Last edited by magiccityluv; 01-17-2020 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Clumsy fingers typo.. My bad.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:49 AM

666 posts, read 518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccityluv View Post
I was just looking at the location and how it would change the city's skyline. The southside already has a very impressive skyline, but a couple towers @ Southtown would be a game changer? Kinda of related. What about a circle city mall type of development southwest of UAB? I lived in IND for while, and it was a go to mall for some things.
I get it. I do agree. It would be awesome. I think part of the problem is your original post was very vague and left it wide open for us to interpret what you were trying to do/say.

But yes, and AS would be awesome... But given the stores that have closed and the areas that have flopped or couldn't thrive, it's a long shot.

The Summit sucks the retail life out of the rest of the city unfortunately. It's a top tier mall in the whole Southeast, but leaves little for other nearby areas to tap into.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:29 AM

522 posts, read 847,689 times
Quote:
Dude. What's wrong with Birmingham's boards. I clearly don't write for Birmingham Now. I was trying to join in a discussion with a message board I usually just read, my bad. I Hope you good folk don't treat all infrequently posters this way. It's no way to build a board community. The sad thing is most of Birmingham boards are like this.
I am one who used to post often enough, but gave it up. There are so many people who are so negative, dropping by, stinking up the Birmingham board. It does seem like people hate that Birmingham is coming back.

I agree with bfmx1, a little. The Summit seems to hurt a lot of other places, who could possibly attract certain retailers, from keeping those better tenants. I believe the reason Bayer was trying to buy and develop the land across from The Summit, had something to do with this. I know that highly sought after retailers would do well in Birmingham, if the were at The Summit or across the street from The Summit. I don’t even think Lane Parke would have the draw, to replace what Brookwood wants to be.

With that said, a Southtown development could do well with the amount of people living, working, and visiting the area, due to Bayer being apart of the redevelopment of Southtown.

Last edited by bhamguy; 01-20-2020 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Adding a name of another poster.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:05 AM

157 posts, read 154,170 times
Quote:
Ha, if you'll notice, I only take exception with their articles related to the economy and job market where they tout the city as one of the best job markets in the country. Or when they make it sound like people are flocking to the city, etc.

It's so annoying that people believe the propaganda without thinking.

Other than that, I'm totally good with a site that is designed to highlight the great things going on/happening because there is a lot of stuff going on that is very noteworthy.

The OP is one such kind of post. Thinking that Birmingham could actually support anything like Atlantic Station is a farce.
You and I are 100% aligned on this one.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:08 AM

157 posts, read 154,170 times
Quote:
IND is a metro area about twice the size of BHM with a pretty high population density nearest the core. Quite the inverse of BHM today.

Possible if the metro continues with its urban infill plans in a few decades, or unless we land the next Apple/Google/Amazon HQ here in the city.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 596 times
Default using is for women

only now discount is

fa15 is pill sizes article

Old 01-25-2020, 11:33 AM

748 posts, read 340,184 times
Atlantic Station is not something to emulate.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 PM

1,180 posts, read 985,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Atlantic Station is not something to emulate.
I don't know. It has gotten better over the years. They are building new office space,apartment, and hotels currently. Atlantic Station lead invest in the westside of Atlanta which has become a beast in terms of development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area