Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:56 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times

Advertisements

About 2 months ago my family discovered a little grocery store in Bessemer next to the Wal-Mart. We went in and could not believe the prices!

A gallon of milk is a $1.99, canned goods .39 cents and they have frozen pizza's for 2.99...........and it's all good stuff!

They save money by not supplying bags or using fancy displays.......

I'm shocked at the deals we get there!

I would post the link but I'm afraid I might get banned!

But here is an excerpt from the site..........

Part of the ALDI experience is enjoying all of the money-saving rituals that come with smarter shopping. ALDI regulars have come to find our easy-to-use shopping cart deposit system downright endearing, figuring that paying too much is a much greater inconvenience. With this system, we don’t have to assign an employee to round up carts in the parking lot, we don’t lose expensive carts, and you don’t have to worry about dings in your car doors from runaway carts.

You'll find ALDI shopping carts hooked together right outside the door. As you approach the store, just insert a quarter to release a cart. When you’re finished shopping, reconnect the chain and get your quarter back. This expense-saving tradition (no rolling carts to chase and no damaged cars!) has become a legendary part of the ALDI culture.

And as long as you're bringing a quarter, bag even more savings at ALDI by bringing some bags from home. To help bring you incredible value every day, we don't hire baggers or bury the cost of free grocery bags in our prices. Instead, we encourage you to bring your own. For your convenience, we do sell heavy-weight paper grocery bags at every checkout for 5¢. If you prefer, we have big, heavy-duty plastic shopping bags with handles (much bigger and heavier than supermarket plastic bags) for 10¢. Insulated bags for your frozen food items are just 99¢. And the empty cardboard cartons you'll find throughout the store are yours for the taking—especially convenient if you're buying canned goods or other heavy products!

In addition to all of the "green" you save by shopping at ALDI, you'll enjoy the feeling of doing your part toward saving our planet. From smaller, energy-saving stores, to recycled bags and cartons, your entire ALDI shopping experience captures the very essence of conservation.

Loyal ALDI shoppers appreciate our simplified shopping process, and the pride they can feel by being responsible and forward-thinking consumers. You'll feel it too, when you start saving up to 50% on everyday needs and find that it is "easy being green."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Aldi USA is not what the original is:>( Compared to some of the rising grocery prices you can get a bargain occasionally but check weight and value. 2.99 pizza is what it is - 2.99 pizza.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Aldi USA is not what the original is:>( Compared to some of the rising grocery prices you can get a bargain occasionally but check weight and value. 2.99 pizza is what it is - 2.99 pizza.

I did..........it's very good! Same weight and size as other brands!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
They carry some good brands. I loved it when they had Pizzaria UNO. Only issue I have is that they tend to only do certain things for a limited time, and that the check out people sling your cans, jars, etc. into the cart all on top eachother. Not very professional in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
They carry some good brands. I loved it when they had Pizzaria UNO. Only issue I have is that they tend to only do certain things for a limited time, and that the check out people sling your cans, jars, etc. into the cart all on top eachother. Not very professional in my opinion.
It is a European chain. Try going grocery shopping there:>) It is an adventure.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It is a European chain. Try going grocery shopping there:>) It is an adventure.
Hey, if it means we can save $2 for a gallon of milk, I'll put up with a lot. Do they have a gas station, too?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:42 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
My wife and I shopped there last week. They had some cool items that I am not used to seeing very often, and the prices were really good. I still think the service was terrible though.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hey, if it means we can save $2 for a gallon of milk, I'll put up with a lot. Do they have a gas station, too?

I wish they did!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
My wife and I shopped there last week. They had some cool items that I am not used to seeing very often, and the prices were really good. I still think the service was terrible though.
I don't care about service when I can buy 100 bucks worth of groceries for 50 dollars!
Yesterday we made a list and went to wal-mart and priced everything. Then went to Aldi and priced them, 106 bucks was 58 at Aldi.........the heck with service!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:43 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times
Great prices but I don't like the knock-off cereal products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area