Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 11:48 PM

910 posts, read 833,702 times

Advertisements

A couple of people have thrown their hat in the ring for this year's Mayor's election. I personally believe Mayor Randall Woodfin has represented this city in a very professional way. He is more transparent than any Mayor this city has seen! I honestly like the trajectory that the city is on. God, I hope we don't take this city in reverse and elect any of these old fashioned election chasers. Woodfin's youth and intelligence is definitely a breath of fresh air for Birmingham! Just my opinion, what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 06:00 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Lashunda Scales filed. Total horror show. I've never met anyone who worked with her who didn't come away damaged. She narrowly escaped a felony conviction a few years ago due to a plea deal.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:53 AM

910 posts, read 833,702 times
I feel like we have to have at least one more term from Woodfin to really set Birmingham on a solid path to success. You can tell how seriously he takes his job by the team he surrounds himself with. His administration is full of people who actually are experts in their job, as opposed to just friends. He's been interviewed several times on multiple national cable news networks, and he always represents us well. I'm always proud when CNN or MSNBC, etc is like, "And today we have with us, Randall Woodfin, Mayor of Birmingham Alabama". You just know that you are about to witness a thoughtful and intelligent interview! Only fault I find in the guy is that he's so soft spoken. He needs to stand up for himself more. Certain city council members are always beating up on him. Well, one really, and that's Steven Hoyt!

Old 01-19-2021, 09:13 PM

136 posts, read 116,898 times
I don’t share all Woodfin’s politics, but he seems to be doing a great job and represents the city well.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:11 AM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
Scales or Hoyt would be horrible.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:26 AM

66 posts, read 79,293 times
wow ! what happened to white candidates?? I knew Birmingham is a mostly black city, but I really didn't realize the white population shrunk to less than 25% !! (according to Ballotpedia)...is THIS now correct? I thought Birmingham started a pattern of in-migration? What is exactly happening in politics??

Total population:212,2114,853,875Land area (square miles):14650,645Race and ethnicity[3]White:24%68.8%Black/African American:72.6%26.4%Asian:1%1.2%Native American:0.2%0.5%Pacific Islander:0%0.1%Two or more:1%1.7%Hispanic/Latino:3.5%4%EducationHigh school graduation rate:85.1%84.3%College graduation rate:24.2%23.5%gl

Old 01-20-2021, 12:39 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttyShekelman View Post
wow ! what happened to white candidates?? I knew Birmingham is a mostly black city, but I really didn't realize the white population shrunk to less than 25% !! (according to Ballotpedia)...is THIS now correct? I thought Birmingham started a pattern of in-migration? What is exactly happening in politics??
Every mayor of Birmingham since 1979 has been black. Birmingham has been a majority black city for a long time. As of 2010, the city was about 22% white. We'll see what the 2020 census says, but I doubt it changes by too many percentage points. Maybe 2 or 3 percent one way or the other. I don't think you'll see a white mayor of Birmingham for a very long time.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 AM

Why the loss in non-black population, but the msa *seems* increasing? hmm

Old 01-21-2021, 08:58 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttyShekelman View Post
Why the loss in non-black population, but the msa *seems* increasing? hmm
Not really a loss of non-black population. Are you really not familiar with white flight that started like 60 or 70 years ago, and is hardly unique to Birmingham?

Old 01-22-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Not really a loss of non-black population. Are you really not familiar with white flight that started like 60 or 70 years ago, and is hardly unique to Birmingham?
Yes, I do understand historical white flight in many cities across the nation but these numbers I read on ballotpedia would seem to suggest MORE bifurcation of races not less at 2021. At this rate of now being 73% black, no one will want to live in Birmingham but blacks if that's true. Then it would be fair to assume that white flight is accelerating not reversing? That couldn't be a good thing can it? Maybe it is for some?

In the total US, black constitute about 13% of the population. HISPANICS constitute 18% of the total population (the now largest minority group?)

Much larger cities such as Los Angeles only have 48% HISPANIC, Houston only 43%, Dallas 42%.

Birmingham is 20% higher "black" than Atlanta (55% of population). Birmingham seems to be the only southern "large" city with the highest black population, thus the blackest larger city in the US, second only to DETROIT. Birmingham is blacker than Memphis (a much larger city).

I don't know if it's reasonable to conclude that white flight is pronounced in Birmingham? if so, why the big differences when compared to other US cities?

The concentration of blacks in Birmingham (for its size) is noteworthy, so is the dearth of whites.

Birmingham is thus not a "diverse city" in re how the term relates to traditional racial nomenclature. It's far from it given the numbers. It is also not "diverse" given the documented voting patterns, and leadership as you aptly mentioned.

Of course if a newcomer or transplant thinks(or seeks) that true "diversity" is having a 73% black population in a city, I would firmly disagree and perhaps chuckle a bit.

It also seems to have unanimity of political thought to a large degree. That's not "diversity" either. There is no real reversal of this obvious lack of "diversity".

Last edited by AttyShekelman; 01-22-2021 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area