Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 08:16 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times

Advertisements

Behind the scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 08:30 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Randall Woodfin should officially challenge the 2020 numbers, because I believe they are wayyyyyy off!
serious question: what is this based on? i'd love for you to be right, but i want to hear your case.

admittedly, i probably only see or drive through 8-10 neighborhoods on any regular basis. and yes, they all seem to be growing (crestwood, avondale, five points / southside, downtown, even woodlawn). but is the same true of the other 90 or so neighborhoods? i'm genuinely curious because i simply don't ever see them. the link with the various census tracts indicates there are only a handful of neighborhoods that are truly growing.

i will say that i did expect that all the growth downtown and in parkside would offset some of the losses elsewhere, so the 11,000+ drop did seem steep. but i don't have my eyes on all parts of the city to truly conduct an "eye test" of these other neighborhoods.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Just look at yesterday election turnout of 26%. Just under 37K voted. So can you imagine a census count of people particpating. Even with that map showing no growth in many neighborhoods, I'm willingly to bet a good amount didn't response. Did Birmingham lose some people. Of course. But 11K..humm. Every estimate leading up to 2020 had a loss maybe between 2-5K, nothing was estimated at 11K. But what's done is done.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:28 PM

910 posts, read 834,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
serious question: what is this based on? i'd love for you to be right, but i want to hear your case.

admittedly, i probably only see or drive through 8-10 neighborhoods on any regular basis. and yes, they all seem to be growing (crestwood, avondale, five points / southside, downtown, even woodlawn). but is the same true of the other 90 or so neighborhoods? i'm genuinely curious because i simply don't ever see them. the link with the various census tracts indicates there are only a handful of neighborhoods that are truly growing.

i will say that i did expect that all the growth downtown and in parkside would offset some of the losses elsewhere, so the 11,000+ drop did seem steep. but i don't have my eyes on all parts of the city to truly conduct an "eye test" of these other neighborhoods.
Just plain common sense! Look, I'm not even trying to say that Huntsville hasn't surpassed the city limits of Birmingham. I'm simply saying Birmingham city population is not as low as the census claims. You'd have to be blind to not see the growth in this city! I'm trying not to believe politics played a role in this.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:51 PM

Dude, residential units are going up in this city at a rate not seen in decades! And, from what I'm hearing, most developments are close to if not fully leased. Some areas of the city are definitely losing people. You'd have to be delusional to not recognize that fact, but Downtown, Midtown, Southside, Woodlawn, Avondale, etc are all growing! To lose 11 thousand people with the growth we've witnessed with our own eyes is simply not possible. Like my grandmother says, "something in the buttermilk ain't clean "!

Old 08-26-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Behind the scenes.
Gotcha bro!

Old 08-26-2021, 12:22 AM

Check this out.........
Question? Over the last 10 years, what area of the metro has YOUR eyes shown you to be booming with growth???
Now, the census says Jefferson County grew! Hmmm
It also says Metropolitan Birmingham grew! Wow
But, City of Birmingham lost 11,000 people! Lol!
Listen, all of the major growth we've seen in the past 10 years has been in the city center dude!
I consider myself pretty good at mathematics, but something isn't adding up!

Old 08-26-2021, 06:34 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Check this out.........
Question? Over the last 10 years, what area of the metro has YOUR eyes shown you to be booming with growth???
Now, the census says Jefferson County grew! Hmmm
It also says Metropolitan Birmingham grew! Wow
But, City of Birmingham lost 11,000 people! Lol!
Listen, all of the major growth we've seen in the past 10 years has been in the city center dude!
I consider myself pretty good at mathematics, but something isn't adding up!
I added up all the census tracts populations and it, in fact, does add up.

As for what areas have been booming with growth over the last 10 years? Hoover, especially the western side, Trussville, Chelsea and some other areas in Shelby County...

And yeah, that is backed up on the census.

There's not some huge conspiracy against Birmingham. It's not like Census workers know how to estimate no-responses in every place except Birmingham. I'm guessing if some of you cheerleaders left your bubble and explored the other 80-85 neighborhoods of Birmingham, you would see hundreds if not thousands of properties that have have fallen into disrepair and/or abandonment.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:03 AM

22 posts, read 14,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I added up all the census tracts populations and it, in fact, does add up.

As for what areas have been booming with growth over the last 10 years? Hoover, especially the western side, Trussville, Chelsea and some other areas in Shelby County...

And yeah, that is backed up on the census.

There's not some huge conspiracy against Birmingham. It's not like Census workers know how to estimate no-responses in every place except Birmingham. I'm guessing if some of you cheerleaders left your bubble and explored the other 80-85 neighborhoods of Birmingham, you would see hundreds if not thousands of properties that have have fallen into disrepair and/or abandonment.
Agreed, makes sense. Why is it hard to believe/accept that The City of Birmingham lost 11k ? I mean people are fleeing many other cities in the nation - from CA,NY, IL etc

Old 08-26-2021, 08:26 AM

450 posts, read 336,480 times
A good bit of those new apartments in Parkside are focused on UAB students. Do students living in those apartments during the school year get counted in Birmingham's population or are their parents including them in their household wherever the parents live? I bet it's the second one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area