Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:10 PM

12 posts, read 57,923 times

Advertisements

How do I know the difference when I'm looking at them (Bessemer Area). What are the zip codes for the areas?

I really like what I see in the Helena area. I'm even considering a townhouse untill I can afford more house. My objective is to find an area that can grow with my family. Right now we only have a single income untill my husband finishes school. I'd like to be in an area with good schools (even if we are not in our ideal home right now) so that as the income grows my kid won't have to change school systems and friends.......

Are there any nice apartment complexes or houses for rent in the area, a 3 bedroom for no more than 900 would be ideal.

Last edited by seriously_me2; 05-17-2008 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 06:13 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,766 times
A good Realtor will be able to let you know the good areas.

You can find some nice townhome in the Calera/Helena/Pelham area that will fit your needs.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-18-2008 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: no dm messages please

Old 05-17-2008, 06:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Try these listings in Vestavia, a really good school system.

Listing Search Results (http://www.realtysouth.com/Listing/ListingSearchResults.aspx?Search=c4dc2b20-64fa-466c-a110-5c3cc8fe8922&SearchType=geographic&ListingType=1&L istingDistrictTypeID=&FirstLetter=&Sort=6 - broken link)

Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 PM

12 posts, read 57,923 times
Thanks for the feed back.

cpg35223 I need at least a 3 bedroom. I did search msn and I do see some nice townhouses in my price range.

Backagain -- I didn't notice I even had a message until now Thanks for all your help!!! I think Helena is good fit.

Hoover looks like a good area too. They have a rating of 9 on greatschools.com. I was considering a townhouse for a few years. I guess my concern is if Iwill be able to sale it since there are so many on the market.

Can anyone give me an address to use as a point of reference for the USPS distributiona and processing center. I'm trying to get a feel for distance between communities and the job.

Last edited by seriously_me2; 05-17-2008 at 08:26 PM..

Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,435 times
The distribution center I believe is on West Oxmoor in Homewood. You can find a 3-1 (sometimes a 3-2) in West Homewood for 200K. Homewood schools, in my opinion are great. My children are not school age but do work in education sales so I have visited many of the high schools in central and northern Alabama. You can use zip code 35209 as a map point.

Let me know if you have other questions. Hope things work out for your family to move to Birmingham.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:00 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
I don't want to deter you from Hoover, but I would maybe find a residence that is zoned for Spain Park because it is my understanding that Hoover High is overcrowded or is on the verge of becoming overcrowded again.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:46 AM

You really can not go wrong in Helena as it was Money Magazine's top 10 city to live in.

As far as schools, check out the following websites, they should help.

ALSDE - Education Directory/Reports (http://www.alsde.edu/html/reports_menu.asp - broken link)
SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link)
GreatSchools.net

Monday, Ill call the Post Office and get you the address to the distributiona and processing center.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriously_me2 View Post

I've been searching the posts and Bessemer seems to be an area that most say I should stay away from.
seriously_me2 can now tell you the difference between the Bessemer area and downtown Bessemer, two completely different worlds, as she has now seen for herself.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:20 PM

46 posts, read 232,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Again View Post
seriously_me2 can now tell you the difference between the Bessemer area and downtown Bessemer, two completely different worlds, as she has now seen for herself.
Please be advised....BESSEMER HAS POOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS....ALL OF THEM. If you intend to send your daughters to public school, Bessermer (any part of Bessemer) is the last place you want to live. It is a nice place to live (many parts of it), but not if education is your concern. McCalla is also a great area in which to live, but the schools are lacking there as well.

It may take some serious looking to find a home in that price range in Hoover, Vestavia, or Homewood, but these areas have great schools. You may want to try renting first in order to get a feel for the area. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,013 times
Back Again, Thanx for the heads up about Bessemer. I am hoping to move there this year and now know to avoid the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area