Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 06:33 PM

10,513 posts, read 7,107,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
Random Business guy giving feedback after visiting.

He generally talks about how Bham should've made a more festive area around the arena during March Madness. That said, he still gave the area a B-. Accessibility was straightforward, the people were friendly, and his family found plenty to do.

The big general takeaway I would have would be that Birmingham should really get better at advertising what's here. I guess the guest was pretty lucky he picked well from the things mentioned on the handout his hotel gave him.

Shoehorning a bit here, but this is part of why I'd like a stronger public transit system (even if were a single line between the airport to the train station, it'd be enough). Then there'd be a natural physical spot to put info for visitors to go to. Even in the age of the internet, this is still useful. Birmingham's got a lot of fun stuff to do, but you pretty have to know where you want to go beforehand. Even for locals, it can be a bit hard to know what's going on.

When we went to the event, we remarked on how there was next to nothing going on outside. I mean, we have this amazing space under the interstate tailor made for that kind of event support and there was next to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 08:03 AM

467 posts, read 347,547 times
The BBA just named Steve Ammons, from the Jefferson County Commission, its new president. Ammons is resigning his commission seat to take the job. It seems like he's done a decent job leading economic development & regional cooperation efforts for the county plus has relationships with business leaders. Hopefully he does a great job.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:33 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,262,501 times
definitely seems like valid criticism. while the world games had its share of problems, i did like that the area around the BJCC / Stadium / CityWalk felt pretty activated most of the time. it gives people a reason to stick around as well.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
definitely seems like valid criticism. while the world games had its share of problems, i did like that the area around the BJCC / Stadium / CityWalk felt pretty activated most of the time. it gives people a reason to stick around as well.

Well, I think we'll learn from that.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:03 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,200,440 times
2050 Birmingham Regional Transportation Plan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/coadsa5nge...30414.pdf?dl=0

Didn't know this before browsing this document information, but plans (nothing is concrete) is to add auxilary lanes to I-65 between Oxmoor and Greensprings and replace the Valley Ave bridge that cross 65.

Last edited by mcalumni01; 05-19-2023 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-20-2023, 09:13 AM

890 posts, read 613,786 times
Just a little BTW, was doing some quick math and found out the Bureau of Labor Statistics still uses Walker County as part of the Birmingham Metropolitan area labor statistics

Old 05-20-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Just a little BTW, was doing some quick math and found out the Bureau of Labor Statistics still uses Walker County as part of the Birmingham Metropolitan area labor statistics

Probably because of how many commute into the city now on I-22. You can literally reach downtown Birmingham from Jasper faster than you can from Alabaster with lower odds of heavy traffic. In fact, I would lay even odds that Walker gets sucked back into the Birmingham metro area after the 2030 census.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:30 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,262,501 times
it is odd that walker county (especially with its access to Smith Lake and now I-22) hasn't attracted the type of suburban population that shelby and st clair counties have

Old 05-21-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
it is odd that walker county (especially with its access to Smith Lake and now I-22) hasn't attracted the type of suburban population that shelby and st clair counties have

Until you get to Jasper, the terrain kind of sucks for subdivisions.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:50 PM

552 posts, read 572,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Until you get to Jasper, the terrain kind of sucks for subdivisions.
On top of that, Birmingham proper owns a good chunk of empty land in that direction. Northern Smithfield Estates and Hooper City are practically wilderness, and not in the it's-bend-abandoned sort of way, but rather the there-was-never-development-there-in-the-first-place sort. St. Clair & Shelby are way closer to development than Walker is. Even then, St. Clair's is pretty miniscule and really only rather recently joined in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area