Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 AM

16 posts, read 60,090 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from Montgomery to B'ham in the next year. We are looking to get away from the crime here. We have been to B'ham plenty over the years that we have been here, in fact some of our doctors are in B'ham. We really like the Hoover area. How would the commute be for my husband. He would still work in Montgomery and commute everyday. There are times he has to go to B'ham with his job and come back in the same day. I thought about Mountain Brook, but I feel that would be a little out of the way in the morning time. Any suggestions. We have children. Daugher in high school and son in elementary. Just looking for fresh ideas. We really don't want to spend over 400k for a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola4 View Post
We are considering moving from Montgomery to B'ham in the next year. We are looking to get away from the crime here. We have been to B'ham plenty over the years that we have been here, in fact some of our doctors are in B'ham. We really like the Hoover area. How would the commute be for my husband. He would still work in Montgomery and commute everyday. There are times he has to go to B'ham with his job and come back in the same day. I thought about Mountain Brook, but I feel that would be a little out of the way in the morning time. Any suggestions. We have children. Daugher in high school and son in elementary. Just looking for fresh ideas. We really don't want to spend over 400k for a home.
400K gets your a pretty nice home in Mountain Brook, especially in today's market. I would suggest the section of MB near Cahaba Heights. From there, it's about an hour and ten minutes to Montgomery (I've made that drive millions on times).

Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 AM

That is great. Do you have any websites or links for that area for me to look around?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Birmingham Real Estate - Birmingham Homes - Relocation has a pretty extensive database, incorporating almost all the area's MLS listings. Right now, there's excess inventory on the market to the point that I'm seeing some "Make Offer" signs up.

Mountain Brooks are really great. We moved into the district two years ago and were apprehensive about the stories we heard about snobby kids, etc. I think if you pick the right elementary school, you really avoid all that. Our kids were in Brookwood Forest and loved it and made plenty of friends immediately. That area is closest to I-459, a definite asset for your commuting hubby, and is incredibly convenient to the high school and the shopping at the Summit. You miss a little of the bonhomie of Crestline, but I'm guessing that social climbing isn't your thing, anyway.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 AM

My daughter is at Montgomery Academy now and my son is at Green Gate. The price for private school is horrible. But that is what you have to do here, due to the terrible public school system. We pay 11,000 a year just for my daughter. It is crazy. I will do a little research on the area that you have suggested. Thank you.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 AM

350 posts, read 1,313,086 times
Viola, check out the following websites, they should help.

ALSDE - Education Directory/Reports (http://www.alsde.edu/html/reports_menu.asp - broken link)
SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link)
GreatSchools.net

Old 05-29-2008, 09:16 AM

I appreciate all the informtion.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 AM

763 posts, read 3,836,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola4 View Post
That is great. Do you have any websites or links for that area for me to look around?
My best advice would be to visit the Shelby County School System HQ and make in-depth inquiries regarding their schools.

SCBOE School Directory

As a generality, they are good/very good and what you need is a combination of a very good school district, coupled with the shortest practical drive distance/time to Montgomery. I'd examine schools first and then choose neighborhood from that selection. Shelby County has extremely low crime virtually everywhere....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area