Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2023, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,600 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I looked through threads about Where to live in BIRMINGHAM that were at least 5 years old...I know, just in the past 2 years, RENTS have increased in a lot of places in the country. Not to make it too complicated, I want to move to Birmingham or its whereabouts because it "seems" affordable.

I'd like any real advice on best (safest) cities or apt complexes to RENT IN or NEAR Birmingham that are like in the $800 a month range. Though in my 40's as a single female, I've had to spend a lot of time taking care of elderly parents in FL (I'm so glad to get out of Florida) so I'm way behind financially and need good cheap rent because I'll be working to keep myself above water. It would be great to be around 30-40 year olds and such. I feel like I've aged having lived around retirees.

Would appreciate reliable advice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 06:01 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Hey there. Rents are indeed affordable compared to other cities. That being said, $800 is going to be tough and not wind up in some sketch part of town. That's not to discourage you, because there are bargains to be found. But you'll need to to drive around with Craigslist on your phone and see what passes the sniff test.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,600 times
Thanks for ur reply.

Frankly, I delved again into apartment searching this week for Birmingham, AL. And, I swear, it looks like rent went up AGAIN. It's now at least $900 a month for a decent hole in the wall. I figure by the time I ACTUALLY get out of FL, it'll hit $1000 a month, too much above my range.

These are prices I was seeing for Phoenix AZ three years ago...now they've gotten close to at least $1500 a month, which is a big forget-it.

At this point, I think I'm giving up on Birmingham. I mean if it was a Phoenix AZ that is brimming over with jobs, on top of a regular job, I may have considered it, but I'm not gonna struggle just to live in a city with limited resources...That's the whole problem with FL! Too many cities where you're going to struggle for everything.

I noticed there's no thread on Montgomery, AL. Ironically that seems to have the cheapest rent right now, anyway. The number of "cheaper" rent cities has definitely shrunk since like 6 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: