Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 10:27 AM

2,460 posts, read 2,275,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Why is Birmingham always bragging? I agree that Birmingham is pretty. It just seems like Birmingham is constantly shouting how perfect it is, in a way I haven't noticed with other cities except maybe Louisville.
I understand the sentiment, but to be fair Birmingham has been fighting a poor image on the national stage for decades. People that have only heard about the city will know rely on a singular event or era in history to define its reputation. So to some extent, we have only ourselves to put the good news out there since few others will. I agree it is over the top from some, but frankly I'll take that over pessimism. It does need to be tempered with realism though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 12:04 PM

562 posts, read 580,543 times
I think biggest thing to point out is that downtown is transitioning from a "effort recipient" to an "effort provider" in a sense for growth (not sure the best way to describe it). In the past, the best neighborhoods were generally the ones along Red Mountain, next to Homewood and Mountain Brook. Downtown has started getting its own "nice area spillover" effect (I don't like phrasing it this way) in Lakeview and Avondale. There's been a push to get Norwood to turn around for some time, and now Norwood and Smithfield are getting some sizable investment (in some key areas, like infrastructure or needed retail like grocery stores). Titusville is the pretty much the next notable big area after that. Just fix the railroad tracks around it blocking it from UAB, and it'll probably do better without much other effort (already has a decent reputation unlike a lot of neighborhoods more west, just on the poorer side).

For a long time, East Lake and Woodlawn were the only other places I heard that much level of effort for turning around (and much more grassroots, like Norwood had been), with notable on the ground movement noticed (not just talk). Ensley has been another with talk, but hadn't seen that talk translate to much success on the ground in that timeframe. Personally, I'd like to see more growth in the Finley area, as it already has three iconic Birmingham places (Alabama Farmer's Market, Niki's West and Eagle's), but not much else of anything up there (It'd be awesome to see something renovate and use the Finley Roundhouse).

Old 10-14-2023, 01:24 PM

959 posts, read 872,543 times
I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm gonna keep bragging! Why? Because I can!

Stay tuned!

Old 10-17-2023, 12:33 PM

685 posts, read 532,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm gonna keep bragging! Why? Because I can!

Stay tuned!
We know.

This is just speculation but I'm willing to bet Birmingham is the only city on here that pays members to post. Is city-data.com the homepage at City Hall?

Old 10-17-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Why is Birmingham always bragging? I agree that Birmingham is pretty. It just seems like Birmingham is constantly shouting how perfect it is, in a way I haven't noticed with other cities except maybe Louisville.
Being a Birmingham resident and former Homer myself I think I can honestly say it's because we are jealous of our neighbors and we wish so bad to be in the national conversation with Nashville and Atlanta primarily, then other midsize faster growing metros to a lesser degree. Birmingham residents cannot stand the fact that Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Nashville, ATL, and Tampa are growing like wildfire and get all the attention. They can't stand that other cities are first to get the latest/newest trends and we're left behind 10 years or so.

When I was in school, I hated my Nashville and Atlanta friends because they were always talking about what Birmingham DIDN'T have. I blew it off as fluff but after visiting more and even moving away, that's real! I, as do many, had the feeling of "why have I wasted so much time in Birmingham?"

It's great for many!!! But no it's not an "instagram-able" city. No bachelorette parties come to Bham. No famous people relocate to Bham. You won't see much glitz and glamour. What gets attention? Sparkle and shine! Celebrities. Top name brand shopping. Exotic cars. If a Lamborghini rolls through Birmingham, people stop and take selfies with it.

Because of this, Bham tends to have a complex and want to brag about everything possible.

It's great for those of us who don't care about those things! But this board and many are obsessed with being more prominent on the national scene.

Old 10-17-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I understand the sentiment, but to be fair Birmingham has been fighting a poor image on the national stage for decades. People that have only heard about the city will know rely on a singular event or era in history to define its reputation. So to some extent, we have only ourselves to put the good news out there since few others will. I agree it is over the top from some, but frankly I'll take that over pessimism. It does need to be tempered with realism though.
I don't think this has as much weight as you're giving it. What happened in the 60's is not in the front of mind for anyone today looking to move. There are many reasons not to move to Birmingham but namely, lack of good jobs and lack of entertainment COMPARATIVELY.

This isn't me hatin! That's truly how it feels to have to move from a dynamic, fast-growing and nationally renowned metro to a comparatively sleepy Bham.. Sorry that's just the way it feels and you agree, you just can't admit it. It's considered a step backwards.

We were told that Covid was going to spur Birmingham's population, don't think that happened. Maybe the new real estate price boom and migration will help over the next 50 years...

What i mean is, some hisorically low cost of living metros are now increasing to CA/NY prices (aka Texas cities, Atlanta, Nashville etc). Birmingham is becoming a better value proposition. So that could spur growth in the future as those other metros become insanely expensive.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:20 AM

959 posts, read 872,543 times
The beautiful new Macaroni Lofts development is complete in Downtown Birmingham, and ready for move in! Details in article below!

https://bhamnow.com/2023/10/20/macar...now-available/

Old 10-27-2023, 10:34 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,020,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Being a Birmingham resident and former Homer myself I think I can honestly say it's because we are jealous of our neighbors and we wish so bad to be in the national conversation with Nashville and Atlanta primarily, then other midsize faster growing metros to a lesser degree. Birmingham residents cannot stand the fact that Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Nashville, ATL, and Tampa are growing like wildfire and get all the attention. They can't stand that other cities are first to get the latest/newest trends and we're left behind 10 years or so.

When I was in school, I hated my Nashville and Atlanta friends because they were always talking about what Birmingham DIDN'T have. I blew it off as fluff but after visiting more and even moving away, that's real! I, as do many, had the feeling of "why have I wasted so much time in Birmingham?"

It's great for many!!! But no it's not an "instagram-able" city. No bachelorette parties come to Bham. No famous people relocate to Bham. You won't see much glitz and glamour. What gets attention? Sparkle and shine! Celebrities. Top name brand shopping. Exotic cars. If a Lamborghini rolls through Birmingham, people stop and take selfies with it.

Because of this, Bham tends to have a complex and want to brag about everything possible.

It's great for those of us who don't care about those things! But this board and many are obsessed with being more prominent on the national scene.
Preach.

Old 10-27-2023, 06:20 PM

5,016 posts, read 9,245,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
This had to do with the New Orleans metro losing a major parrish (St. Tammany) to fall below 1 million. Not Birmingham somehow skyrocketing up the charts. In turn, we'll be passed soon enough by Grand Rapids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm encouraged by the multifamily growth I see downtown, and that number will surely continue to rise and likely outpace the rest of the metro. And I do think Birmingham continues to fly under the radar.

I'd be curious how the 11,000 downtown population quoted stacks up to peers like Memphis, GR, Oklahoma City, Louisville, etc. Clearly UAB continues to drive growth in the city, with that population ballooning to 17,000 when school is in session.

Woa !!! When did Nola fall below 1 million !?! They better hope Red Stick residents don't get a hold of that info.

Old 10-31-2023, 02:30 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,158,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Perfect? No.
Awesome? Definitely!
What’s really awesome about Birmingham is the lack of potholes and smooth roadways. Definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area