Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 60,549 times

Advertisements

My husband just found out that he was being transferred to Birmingham, so here we come! We currently live outside Philadelphia and have at the most 1 month to get all of our things down the Birmingham. Sounds like such a wonderful situation doesn't it!? I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping I can get quick responses. We want to live in a nice area on the outskirts of Birmingham. He will have to commute to the International Airport daily so we need to stay around that area. Being that we know NOTHING about the area please help!!!! Do you have any suggestions on nice locations that we could move. We are looking to rent for now. (Don't know how long we will be there!) I've heard good things about Homewood, Vistavia Hills, Mountain Brook, and Hoover but who knows! We are used to traffic being that we are coming from Philadelphia, but would like to try to avoid it as much as possible! If you have any suggestions or hints for us PLEASE let me know! Thanks!!!

Kristin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,948,549 times
Really, from Homewood, Mountain Brook, and Vestavia, you can make it to the airport in 20-30 minutes--less, depending on what time of day he leaves. The only terrible commute times are from Highway 280 and I-65 past the I459 area. Hoover is good, but he will have a much longer commute time to the airport. These areas, also have an exceptional quality of life, with convenience to shopping, etc., really fantastic schools, etc.

Also, what factors besides a shorter commute are important to you? Recreation? Schools? Hobbies? We can help you narrow down things a bit and maybe identify some places in town to concentrate on.

Right now, with real estate not being particularly strong, you can find rental opportunities that would not normally exist. I would suggest, al.com - Everything Alabama (The Birmingham News' website) for classified ads on those area, then check against MapQuest. Then come back and ask our advice. We try our best to help!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM

He's used to driving an hour and a half commute each way now so anything under and hour will feel like heaven! He also works nights so hopefully that would cut down on the traffic.

On the other hand I'm a teacher and will have to face the morning and evening rush hour! I've been researching different schools in the area and they all seem pretty good. There are quite a few openings in Trussville City and Jefferson County. Do I want to stay away from these areas or are they alright?

Some of the places that i've found that look nice are: The Park at Rocky Ridge near Hoover, Colonial Village at Iverness near Jefferson and Shelby, Kenley in the same location, Wildforect between Homewood and Vestavia Hills, Lake Heather Reserve near Meadowbrook, and Colonial Grand at Liberty Park in Vestavia Hills. I know there are quite a few. If you have any information or suggestions for me please let me know. I REALLY appreciate any extra help!!!

THANKS!!!

Kristin

Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmstrait View Post
He's used to driving an hour and a half commute each way now so anything under and hour will feel like heaven! He also works nights so hopefully that would cut down on the traffic.

On the other hand I'm a teacher and will have to face the morning and evening rush hour! I've been researching different schools in the area and they all seem pretty good. There are quite a few openings in Trussville City and Jefferson County. Do I want to stay away from these areas or are they alright?

Some of the places that i've found that look nice are: The Park at Rocky Ridge near Hoover, Colonial Village at Iverness near Jefferson and Shelby, Kenley in the same location, Wildforect between Homewood and Vestavia Hills, Lake Heather Reserve near Meadowbrook, and Colonial Grand at Liberty Park in Vestavia Hills. I know there are quite a few. If you have any information or suggestions for me please let me know. I REALLY appreciate any extra help!!!

THANKS!!!

Kristin
These are apartment/condo complexes, right?

Lake Heather Reserve and Colonial Grand would be nice parts of town. I would avoid apartments in Hoover, due chiefly to the huge influx of Latinos into the market (Not a problem in itself, but there have been crime problems in the Hoover apartment complexes).

As far as schools are concerned, Trussville has a good school system. If you lived in Liberty Park, it would be a very easy drive up 459 to Trussville (eight miles or so). Jefferson County schools are a mixed bag, with some extremely good high schools (The International Baccalaureate school was named Best High School in the Country) and some so-so ones. To be honest, I'm not up to snuff on the JeffCo schools, so you're kind of on your own with those.

As far as commute is concerned, your hubby will probably have no more than a 45 minute commute from anywhere in town. However, Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Vestavia will mean an even shorter commute, as long as he avoids peak rush hours.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:36 PM

384 posts, read 1,574,449 times
You might want to check out the Gardendale area - kind of small, but with a lot of new growth, and should be a smooth commute in.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Talking Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and tips on the Birmingham Area. I flew down last week and found a nice little apartment complex off of 280 in Inverness. I love to shop so that seemed like the perfect fit for me! Birmingham was wonderful and I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. Every person I came in contact with was so friendly! We didnt want to fly back to Philly! Thanks again.

Kristin

Old 08-16-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and tips on the Birmingham Area. I flew down last week and found a nice little apartment complex off of 280 in Inverness. I love to shop so that seemed like the perfect fit for me! Birmingham was wonderful and I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. Every person I came in contact with was so friendly! We didnt want to fly back to Philly! Thanks again.

Kristin
Hey, we're glad you enjoyed your visit. When you move down, please check back with us for suggestions on things to do, etc. etc. I hope you can tell that we're always glad to help.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 AM

807 posts, read 3,174,059 times
Quote:

Kristin
A lot of us already knew that! Folks from Birmingham??

Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,328,123 times
I'm glad you had a great time. I lived in Philly (well the burbs) until May, when we moved to Jersey. However, Birmingham is always going to be home. I miss people that say 'excuse me'.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 PM

23,935 posts, read 10,293,440 times
You are very close to me. Let me know if you hae any questions.
280 is not as bad as its reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area