Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM

14 posts, read 33,527 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any input about Guin, Al. I have a friend there in the public housing on Rowell Rd. I am thinking about relocating with children (from Cleveland) and she suggests I start out there because the cost of living is cheap. Any input??? By the way, I have three children--two girls and a boy all under the age of 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
I've heard of Guin and been through it - tiny town - but don't know much about it. But I do know that it's not that close to Birmingham.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
The only thing I know about Guin is that it was flattened by a twister in 1974. Now, if you like the quiet life, I'm fairly confident that you'll get it there, given that it's about 60-70 miles from Birmingham, and an equal distance from Tupelo.

Here are some websites:

Guin, Alabama's official website

Guin, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 AM

384 posts, read 1,580,818 times
I wonder which is better, Guin or nearby Gu-Win ?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
There are a couple of manufactured housing plants there and IIRC a closed or semi-closed chemical plant. The drive from Guin to Birmingham is surprisingly long and tedious, although that should eventually improve once construction on a major roadway is complete. Until then, the road from Jasper down to the west end of B'ham is a long traffic filled surface street mess.

Gu-Win took its name from the Guin - Winfield Drive-In Theatre. When the town incorporated, the drive-in owner already had spent big bucks on his marquee, the area was commonly recognized by that name, and he had clout. I think it is probably the only town in the country named after a drive-in. The drive-in was closed for a few years, but was open the last time we drove through. I think the name might have been changed.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,868 times
I live in Guin and have since 1977 its a nice place to raise a family friendly people, quiet not a lot going on. I have two kids that play in the park & rec sports they learn about sportsmanship and met other kids from surrounding town they play. we have had state champs in girls fastpitch softball in p&r we have soccer,baseball,softball,basketball, football all in park & rec, and the best pool in several counties. the high school has several sports programs also both the elem. and high school have great teachers. if you are looking for a place to raise kids where you don't have to worry about them Guin is the place for you, and we would love to have you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area