Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 AM

36 posts, read 191,701 times

Advertisements

What is the weather like throughout the year in Birmingham, visited around 2 weeks ago and lots of rain and when I look at the weather.com, looks like the rain is still going on. Is rain typical for the late summer? What are your springs, winters and fall like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:43 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,042 times
we have great weather- rain and storms in the late afternoon is summer is typical all over southeast. Fall and spring are nice- winters have been warmer each year-

Old 08-08-2008, 12:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Really, there are two hot months out of the year: July and August. September is warm but manageable. October and November are great (Getting a little rainy towards Thanksgiving), and December alternates between being cold and mild.

January and February are really the two cold months. Of course, course, cold is a relative thing, depending on where you're from. Average high temperature for January is in the low 50s (I think). That being said, you can get some really cold snaps, depending how far South the Alberta Clipper gets.

We have not had much snow of late. This year, we actually got a half-inch. Before that, we had gone seven years without appreciable snowfall. In typical weather patterns, we get snow every two or three years. On the downside, if we get a big snow, we do get lots of power outages. And in 1993, I had two feet outside my front door. You can only imagine the chaos that broke out. So snow days in Birmingham are like some floating holiday. Everybody gets liquored up with the neighbors, stays warm inside, and the maternity wards fill up about 40 weeks later.

Spring is March, April, May, and most of June. It's pretty much heaven on earth.

As far as major storms, a hurricane will come barreling up through the Gulf every two or three years, but usually they weaken a great deal before reaching Birmingham, sparing us major problems. Tornados are not unusual from November through mid-May. Your vulnerability will depend on what side of town you're on. Most of the twisters hit in the western suburbs and north of town. In my memory, only two have hit the southern part of town. Don't ask me why it's that way. It just is.

Rain is typically 50-60 inches a year, although we had a bad drought in 2006-7. It's just now getting back to normal precipitation here.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:35 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,669 times
We actually could use more rain. Maybe you got "lucky" (depending on your point of view) and were in that one area that gets the rain, the one that always skips my neighborhood.

It's the humidity that will get you here. Dripping wet with sweat after stepping outside of the house on some days. But it's beautiful with all the hills and when the leaves turn in the fall.....well, that is my favorite time of year. Spring with all its promise and greenery is a close second, but fall is my favorite.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:49 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,397 times
June, July, and August are typically very hot. I think July is probably the rainiest summer month. September, October, November tend to be mild and sunny with little rain. December, January, February can get very cold, but there can also be alot of mild days as well. And usually there is alot of rain in the winter with an occasional light snowfall.March, April, May tend to be alot like the fall, except more rain. It can be stormy one day, and beautiful the next.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Really, there are two hot months out of the year: July and August. September is warm but manageable. October and November are great (Getting a little rainy towards Thanksgiving), and December alternates between being cold and mild.

January and February are really the two cold months. Of course, course, cold is a relative thing, depending on where you're from. Average high temperature for January is in the low 50s (I think). That being said, you can get some really cold snaps, depending how far South the Alberta Clipper gets.

We have not had much snow of late. This year, we actually got a half-inch. Before that, we had gone seven years without appreciable snowfall. In typical weather patterns, we get snow every two or three years. On the downside, if we get a big snow, we do get lots of power outages. And in 1993, I had two feet outside my front door. You can only imagine the chaos that broke out. So snow days in Birmingham are like some floating holiday. Everybody gets liquored up with the neighbors, stays warm inside, and the maternity wards fill up about 40 weeks later.

Spring is March, April, May, and most of June. It's pretty much heaven on earth.

As far as major storms, a hurricane will come barreling up through the Gulf every two or three years, but usually they weaken a great deal before reaching Birmingham, sparing us major problems. Tornados are not unusual from November through mid-May. Your vulnerability will depend on what side of town you're on. Most of the twisters hit in the western suburbs and north of town. In my memory, only two have hit the southern part of town. Don't ask me why it's that way. It just is.

Rain is typically 50-60 inches a year, although we had a bad drought in 2006-7. It's just now getting back to normal precipitation here.
Sounds great and what I am use to. I am originally from South Carolina and living in Texas. I was a little concerned since the weekend was very dreary and my aunt attended school in Birmingham in the 50's and told me that then they called it the "Smokey City"....thanks for the input

Old 08-09-2008, 03:00 PM

Thanks guys...that's a relief. My husband is from Washington State and when I was visiting Birmingham it was looking a little like Washington with the clouds and the rain...I am sure the falls are beautiful with all the trees and hills, unlike Dallas that has like 1 tree, LOL

Old 08-09-2008, 04:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine1110 View Post
Sounds great and what I am use to. I am originally from South Carolina and living in Texas. I was a little concerned since the weekend was very dreary and my aunt attended school in Birmingham in the 50's and told me that then they called it the "Smokey City"....thanks for the input
Oh, those days are long gone. Birmingham used to have particulate counts in the 500s and even 600s before all the pollution controls. Now, a bad day is when the particulate count is around 50. Of course, in the summer, the air inversion is more prone to trapping smog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: