Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 8,115 times

Advertisements

Hello. I work for a board game manufacturer in Cincinnati, Ohio. We are making games about several U.S. cities and Birmingham will be of the cities! The game will be called Birmingham-Opoly. I am researching the cities for the game spaces & here is what I have come up with so far to represent Birmingham. The following places may be placed around the game board on a similar layout as a Monopoly game board.

Here are the possible spaces:

Birmingham International Airport
Black Warrior River
Alabama Farmer's Market
Riverchase Galleria
Oak Mountain State Park
The Bright Star
Alabama Adventure Theme Park
Five Points South
Birmingham Zoo
Regions Park
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
Talladega Superspeedway
Kelly Ingram Park
McWane Science Center
Birmingham Museum of Art
Alabama Theatre
Birmingham Botanical Gardens
Civil Rights District
Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens
Wachovia Tower
The Vulcan Statue

Would you add/delete/change any of the above places? Is one of the above places called something different by locals? Any major landmark of Birmingham missing? What are the 2 most important landmarks of Birmingham?

The game will make reference to 4 well known streets. The streets chosen so far are:

Pinson Valley Parkway
Valley Road
University Boulevard
Lakeshore Parkway

Any of the above you would change/add?

The game will also make reference to 2 famous festivals. The festivals chosen so far are:

City Stages Music Festival
Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival

Would you change/add the chosen festivals?

Thank you in advance for your time & opinions. Your opinions help us hear a broad range of feedback and provide accurate game content about Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:45 PM

23 posts, read 121,343 times
Sounds interesting...
Put Sloss Furnaces and Rickwood Field on there for sure.

As far as streets, the most notable in this town is probably HWY 280...don't know if you can use that though. 20th Street, Highway 31, Arkadelphia Road, or Green Springs Highway would probably be better than Pinson Parkway or Valley Avenue....Just opinions...

Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Barber Motor Speedway should be on there without a doubt. I'd also thrown in Oak Mountain State Park and Tannehill.

I'd eliminate Wachovia Tower, because Wachovia bought hometown Southtrust and isn't well-liked here.

Also, if you're looking for a ritzier address than the Bright Star, I'd consider Highlands Bar and Grill. Also, Dreamland Bar-B-Q is an iconic landmark at this point.

I think Highland Avenue is a historic street that deserves a place, much more than Pinson Parkway or Valley Avenue. Pinson Parkway is kind of seedy and just ho-hum, and Valley Avenue is just unplanned suburbia.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 AM

10 posts, read 36,370 times
The Summit is a wonderful upscale shopping center that is definitely notable. Also Birmingham Southern College or Samford College. Brookwood Medical Center and St. Vincents Medical Center and UAB Medical Center are also the major hospitals in the area.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,450 times
Birmingham, can be a great city if the people of this region, stop thinking narrow minded. In order for Birmingham, to move to the forefront or be compared with the rest of the southeastern cities, it MOST become more diverse. We need to leave the 60's, in the history books and think about the future.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 AM

23 posts, read 116,366 times
Highlands Avenue for sure-- Pinson Parkway???? Whaaaa???
Highlands Bar and Grill made the list for the best restaurants in the U.S. An institution.
Sloss Furnace used to be part of the life force of this town
I had to laugh when someone suggested Brookwood Medical Center, yeah, OK. But the UAB Medical Center is internationally known for certain specialties and research.
20th Street
RED MOUNTAIN- used to have a museum- a unique geological example due to the variety of rock layers and its unusual tilt. "Red" due to all the iron ore that made Birmingham a steel town years ago. Now the largest employer (or one of) is UAB.
Rufner Mountain State Park is within the city limits
The Irondale Cafe is the original inspiration for the restaurant in Fanny Flaggs 'Fried Green Tomatoes'
Wish I could say the Birmingham Train Station, but the idiots tore it down. You might take a look at Morris Avenue, but it isn't what it used to be.... is it?
BTW, I think you mean Lakeshore DRIVE (?)

Last edited by 1size2smll; 09-11-2008 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 AM

23 posts, read 116,366 times
The Carver Theatre is near The Alabama Theatre. Carver was the 'Blacks Only' theatre

Old 09-11-2008, 01:43 PM

629 posts, read 3,589,446 times
Leave the Bright Star, it's the most well known Restaurant in the area(and oldest)

I would consider adding the Bessemer Super Hwy.........also known as hwy 11....it runs all the way to Tuscaloosa and and north to Tenn. Before we had interstates that was the main hwy through B'ham

don't forget Tannehill State Park

Old 09-29-2008, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 35,061 times
I agree with most everyone else, you really need to do a bit more research, sorry. You have things in that list such as Wachovia Tower who by the way were just bought out and Pinson Valley Pkwy is far from a landmark road and left out places like "The Dreamland BBQ", which is known by everyone in our town, a true landmark if there ever was one. I really like the idea, but I'd call and talk to some of the local city governments or some of us common folk around town, just get a phone book, start dialing numbers and asking questions and you'll get all the answers you want. We won't mind the call once you say what you're doing, we might be a lot of things but most of all we are very hospitable. How bout the Pelham Civic Center, one of only 2 places in the state for ice hockey and yes my son plays there, " My little goalie stud" and home of the Alabam Frozen Tide SEC hockey , several of the above mentioned by other people are deffinent adds, Hwy 31 runs completely from one end of town to the other, Hwy 280, I-459, Rickwood field, the Hoover Met, our local minor league baseball team, University of Alabama Crimson Tide Football who are currently #2 in the nation just west of town in Tuscaloosa, the Bass Masters Classic is held at Logan Martin Lake, Barbers Motor Speedway in Irondale and the list can go on. I understand you only have so much room but with several of our really big landmarks missing it might not do that well in the stores. Keep us apprised of how it's going, oddly enough my 10 yo son just walked in the living room with a monopoly game under his arm so I gotta go get whipped again, I swear he's a little Donald Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area