Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Do you know how odd these statistics are :>) Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Do you know how odd these statistics are :>) Cheers!
You mean the ones regarding Homewood's household income? I was shocked by that, too. Homewood is typically one of the wealthier areas of town. In fact home prices are higher on a square foot basis than Mountain Brook.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:43 PM

8 posts, read 36,467 times
Threestep, what do you mean by odd?

Also, does the Greystone area have a community feel or is it just a large suburban area? I do know that 280 is one of the hottest areas of town.

CPG...

I'm looking to live in a true community; it sounds like Mountain Brook would be a dream if affordable. Hoover sounds too big to have a true community feel, but let me know if I am wrong. I want to live somewhere that has some character as well. New development is good too, but some old character is preferred also.

Other than that, I want to be within 20 minutes of downtown even though I won't be working there. I also don't want to be near dangerous areas of course, but from what I gather that is mostly around downtown and west. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 PM

Cgc,

If Homewood is so expensive, but also includes enough apartments to drastically skew the income figures, I don't think it is the place for me. Of course, I won't make any decisions until I get to ride around.

Also, if the homes are as expensive psf as Mountain Brook, I don't think I will be able to afford the home size that I want.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Cpg, I just realized those 5 digits are your zip code. So you live in Mountain Brook near Homewood and Vestavia, correct? So this is a wealthy area and Trussville is all by itself? I assumed 459 from Hoover to Trussville was the wealthy area because Vestavia and Mountain Brook are right there too.

So if you had to rank the best suburbs of Birmingham, what are your top 5 in order? Are we talking about the best 5 or am I missing any?

Now, I am just curious as to opinions more than anything. It would just be interesting to know. I won't move somewhere for status, that is just not the kind of person I am. The reason I was looking at incomes is the same reason you would look at a companies' income before you bought the stock--the fundamentals.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz21 View Post

Also, does the Greystone area have a community feel or is it just a large suburban area? I do know that 280 is one of the hottest areas of town.

CPG...

I'm looking to live in a true community; it sounds like Mountain Brook would be a dream if affordable. Hoover sounds too big to have a true community feel, but let me know if I am wrong. I want to live somewhere that has some character as well. New development is good too, but some old character is preferred also.

Other than that, I want to be within 20 minutes of downtown even though I won't be working there. I also don't want to be near dangerous areas of course, but from what I gather that is mostly around downtown and west. Correct me if I am wrong.
Mountain Brook is tightly knit, as are Vestavia and Homewood. I think Homewood is a very nice community with a true community feel. There are parts of Mountain Brook that are old money, and there are parts of MB that are more down to earth, principally in the Overton Road area which is very close to Liberty Park.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,662 times
If only it were a little closer in, Helena sounds like a place that would meet your criteria (small, but nice, and with its own character) and at a lower price than some of the larger places.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:

CPG...

That's a yes and no. Greystone is a bunch of smaller subdivisions developed around two golf courses. There are some communities in which you can walk outside and go over to your neighbors home, but where my parents live, you can't really see the homes of your neighbors.

You could look in Trace Crossings or Riverchase or Ross Bridge. With your budget, you could get a pretty nice house in Trace.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Cpg, I just realized those 5 digits are your zip code. So you live in Mountain Brook near Homewood and Vestavia, correct? So this is a wealthy area and Trussville is all by itself? I assumed 459 from Hoover to Trussville was the wealthy area because Vestavia and Mountain Brook are right there too.

So if you had to rank the best suburbs of Birmingham, what are your top 5 in order? Are we talking about the best 5 or am I missing any?

Now, I am just curious as to opinions more than anything. It would just be interesting to know. I won't move somewhere for status, that is just not the kind of person I am. The reason I was looking at incomes is the same reason you would look at a companies' income before you bought the stock--the fundamentals.
Trussville is a little isolated on the northeast corner of town.

My five preferred areas of Birmingham?

1. Mountain Brook
2. Homewood
3. Forest Park (Southside of Bham, but the schools are terrible, so you have to use private schools)
4. Vestavia.
5. Greystone
6. Trussville

Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 23,259 times
JZ,

If schools are the most important, the best public schools are probably:

1. Mountain Brook
2. Homewood
3. Vestavia Hills
4. Trussville / Hoover
5. Oak Mountain (within Shelby Co schools) probably

I have lived in Homewood, Shelby County, and Trussville. I liked all three. You have been given good, impartial advice. I think you can't go wrong with any of your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area