Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz21 View Post
Cpg, I just realized those 5 digits are your zip code. So you live in Mountain Brook near Homewood and Vestavia, correct? So this is a wealthy area and Trussville is all by itself? I assumed 459 from Hoover to Trussville was the wealthy area because Vestavia and Mountain Brook are right there too.

So if you had to rank the best suburbs of Birmingham, what are your top 5 in order? Are we talking about the best 5 or am I missing any?

Now, I am just curious as to opinions more than anything. It would just be interesting to know. I won't move somewhere for status, that is just not the kind of person I am. The reason I was looking at incomes is the same reason you would look at a companies' income before you bought the stock--the fundamentals.
Right. Now, we can probably narrow down the range a little more for you with some more information. After all, from Trussville to MB to Homewood, Vestavia, Hoover, and Greystone makes up a pretty wide swath, both geographically and in terms of character. Yet each of these areas will have a similar footprint in terms of overall household income. Each will have some outstanding points to them and some drawbacks. And while my preferences are one thing, you may have different priorities.

Working in Liberty Park means you'll be going against rush hour traffic, so that's less of an issue that if you were living in Greystone and slogging downtown everyday.

So, here's some questions for you and let's see if we can narrow down for you:

1) Do you like to be near lots of locally owned restaurants, galleries and other entertainment venues, or is that of less concern for you?

2) Do you like being in a relatively dense area with shopping, etc., within easy reach or do you prefer wide open spaces?

3) Do you mind driving more than 20-30 minutes to get to the office and back?

4) What other activities do you enjoy and do a lot of?

5) Do you like living in a relatively new house or an older historical house?

6) Do you have to fly out of town a lot with your job?

7) Do your children have any special educational needs?

8) How important is it to belong to a faith community, and what is your preference? (The reason I ask is that, for example, many observant Jews need to walk to temple on Sabbah. In fact, two new synagogues have been built near us so that younger families can afford housing. Until my doctor mentioned this in passing, I just had never considered how that might affect somebody's choices).

9) Do your children have any particular avocations?

After all, Birmingham is really dozens and dozens of little neighborhoods, each one of which may be suited for one kind of interest and wholly unsuited for another. Seriously, we made friends with a couple who moved to Greystone from Seattle who, at a party, mourned that there were no good restaurants in Birmingham, only chain restaurants. As it turns out, they were dedicated foodies, and had never ventured to Southside to sample places such as Highlands, Hot & Hot, Bottega, Little Savannah, and about twenty other great places. A couple of months later, they were delighted to issue an unequivocal retraction--they just had no idea that part of town existed.

So, since you're a poster who seems really concerned about making the right choice, help us out with a little bit more detail about you and your interests. We're happy to help.

PS: I just went back and reread one of your posts. If you want to be within 20 minutes of downtown, I feel that would eliminate Greystone during the week and most of Trussville. I could be wrong regarding Trussville, however.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-13-2008 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:18 AM

45 posts, read 126,875 times
I have only been in Birmingham for 6 months. However, I have to say that I agree with you in regards to a "community" feel. That is what we had in Atlanta.
Trussville is awesome! The schools are awesome. However, I am not sure even looking at census numbers that you are going to get the upper middle class feel you desire. We have spent quite a bit of time there and we get more of a middle class feel. We also noticed the people there are quite "country and rural".

However, Homewood is a whole different level. It is communitiy oriented but EVERYONE I have met there are upper middle class and the schools ROCK! The downside I have seen is the type of house you get for the money. Most homes are older than my parents! However, they have some new subdivisons.

Hoover and Vestavia are great but I would not recommend.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:39 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Right. Now, we can probably narrow down the range a little more for you with some more information. After all, from Trussville to MB to Homewood, Vestavia, Hoover, and Greystone makes up a pretty wide swath, both geographically and in terms of character. Yet each of these areas will have a similar footprint in terms of overall household income. Each will have some outstanding points to them and some drawbacks. And while my preferences are one thing, you may have different priorities.

Working in Liberty Park means you'll be going against rush hour traffic, so that's less of an issue that if you were living in Greystone and slogging downtown everyday.

So, here's some questions for you and let's see if we can narrow down for you:

1) Do you like to be near lots of locally owned restaurants, galleries and other entertainment venues, or is that of less concern for you?

2) Do you like being in a relatively dense area with shopping, etc., within easy reach or do you prefer wide open spaces?

3) Do you mind driving more than 20-30 minutes to get to the office and back?

4) What other activities do you enjoy and do a lot of?

5) Do you like living in a relatively new house or an older historical house?

6) Do you have to fly out of town a lot with your job?

7) Do your children have any special educational needs?

8) How important is it to belong to a faith community, and what is your preference? (The reason I ask is that, for example, many observant Jews need to walk to temple on Sabbah. In fact, two new synagogues have been built near us so that younger families can afford housing. Until my doctor mentioned this in passing, I just had never considered how that might affect somebody's choices).

9) Do your children have any particular avocations?

After all, Birmingham is really dozens and dozens of little neighborhoods, each one of which may be suited for one kind of interest and wholly unsuited for another. Seriously, we made friends with a couple who moved to Greystone from Seattle who, at a party, mourned that there were no good restaurants in Birmingham, only chain restaurants. As it turns out, they were dedicated foodies, and had never ventured to Southside to sample places such as Highlands, Hot & Hot, Bottega, Little Savannah, and about twenty other great places. A couple of months later, they were delighted to issue an unequivocal retraction--they just had no idea that part of town existed.

So, since you're a poster who seems really concerned about making the right choice, help us out with a little bit more detail about you and your interests. We're happy to help.

PS: I just went back and reread one of your posts. If you want to be within 20 minutes of downtown, I feel that would eliminate Greystone during the week and most of Trussville. I could be wrong regarding Trussville, however.

I'm not allowed to gove you anymore rep, but I would if I could.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:14 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,805 times
I can say it is beautiful in Hoover/Ross Bridge having visited there--the subdivisions are amazing -- very pretty. The people we saw outside looked happy to be there...

I liked Homewood--Mountain Brook--didn't seem snobby at all, and there's a Whole Foods nearby and the Summit has good shopping.

If you have children, schools are definitely a consideration. Have you researched teh schools? Are you planning on visiting them in person? Nothing can sell a school/give you an idea about what the school is like better than seeing it in action.

That's what we did when we checked out Huntsville/Madison. We visited the schools, went on tours, and our 13 year old helped narrow it down (she is the one that has to go there so she better feel empowered about where it is!).

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 23,274 times
Tamelao,

I disagree about everyone being upper-middle in Homewood. I have met young people who want a lifestyle but are living week-to-week. I have met other poeple who are also clearly middle class. I do agree that Trussville is country compared to Homewood, but Trussville is stilll growing whereas Homewood is really not. Homewood is always unchanged on the growth statistics whereas Trussville is growing in all facets. Trussville also doesn't have apartments in the city limits (which explains the huge gap in income levels between the two cities).

Overall, I like both cities. It really just depends on what you are looking for.

By the way, I hear Trussville now has, arguably, the nicest high school in the entire state of Alabama. Homewood's scores are a bit higher than Trussville's, but not by much. Trusssville's school system and entire community is just hasn't been relevant for as long. Trussville was a nothing town until the past decade really.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I'm not allowed to gove you anymore rep, but I would if I could.
Why thank you. You know, I think I should get my real estate license.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 PM

45 posts, read 126,875 times
bhm03,

Thank you for you insight. I was merely giving my experience in the last 6 months of being here. Which is why I stated I was brand new.

This is why we did nto buy a house right off the bat. We chose to wait a while to get to know Birmingham.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,037 times
Default Just relocate to Birmingham

Hello,

I just relocated for work to Birmingham from South Florida, on very short notice. Been here exactly 3 days and have had no time to look where to set up residence. Currently my company has me staying in Trussville, which is 9 minutes from work on centerpoint. I'm here by myself and was wondering where some of the best places to live that wouldn't have too much traffic going to and from work. I've had a few suggestions...Trussville, Inverness, Hoover, Vestavia Hills, etc... I am looking to rent something for now, would prefer to rent a house but an apartment or studio is fine as well. I just want to be in a good area and an area where there is something to do day and night on my limited time off! LOL! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrsteven View Post
Hello,

I just relocated for work to Birmingham from South Florida, on very short notice. Been here exactly 3 days and have had no time to look where to set up residence. Currently my company has me staying in Trussville, which is 9 minutes from work on centerpoint. I'm here by myself and was wondering where some of the best places to live that wouldn't have too much traffic going to and from work. I've had a few suggestions...Trussville, Inverness, Hoover, Vestavia Hills, etc... I am looking to rent something for now, would prefer to rent a house but an apartment or studio is fine as well. I just want to be in a good area and an area where there is something to do day and night on my limited time off! LOL! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Hi, Jack. Go to post #21 on this thread and answer those questions. I bet we can find something for you.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,037 times
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area