Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

if you are looking at trying to live near where you are going to work, you may want to stay with Vestavia Hills, Liberty Park or Homewood which are all very upscale areas with good schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 PM

7 posts, read 23,271 times
Trussville by all means!! I have lived in all three... take my advice, stay away from the other ones!! The schools in Trussville are great, and the people are actually friendly... a very quaint little town, although growth is making traffic a little on the crazy side...

Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 35,116 times
Smile Depends on your likes..

You are correct, Mountain Brook is a very nice area with a very high price tag and can be a little socially closed if you get my drift, some would disagree but I've been around B'ham most all my life and it doesn't apply to all but it does apply, sorry truth is truth. Trussville is nice but as someone has said, it'll take you 30-40 mins easy if you have to drive in the rush traffic, not so bad if your commute is in the off times but it is a rapidly growing area so thats only gonna get worse. My wife works at Liberty Park also and we live in the Bluff Park area of Hoover and it takes her 15-20 mins to get to work in traffic, neighborhoods are very quiet, really good schools and most everyone in our neighborhood is middle income, Vestavia is just the other side of the interstate from us and is the same way, very nice with homes available from the high hundreds to low 200's and most are rather nice, if you go into the newer areas of these 2 city though you can expect that to easily double or more. Just my opinion but I'd stay away from Homewood, yes there are some nice areas but the prices in those are blowing up and the apartment areas are rather high crime, "trust me", I lived there for a couple years and don't even like shopping there now, one of the only places I've ever had a break in. Anything on 280 is really expensive unless you luck up and find a really good deal and the traffic can be a re-occuring nightmare during rush hours but it is nice. All in all, the the older sections of Vestavia and Hoover would be ideal, especially if you have children who are into sports since these schools participate in many sports, my 10 yo son plays little leage ice hockey in Pelham which is 15 mins away, after 20 years in the area it's the only place I'd live. Go with a bigger real estate agency who have homes all around town and most would gladly lay out the traffic situations and schools for you. Where we are in Bluff Park I can be anywhere I want to go in less than 30 mins and have any thing I want to do from shopping, movies, restr, church, etc only minutes away and the Hoover schools are great. Just my opinion and I'm rather picky too, especially when it comes to my son. Hoover has a very large police Dept and Fire Dept also, response times to anywhere is generally only several mins, my house it's only like 4. Hope it helps.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 PM

28 posts, read 120,419 times
If you want to be close to work, stick with Mtn. Brook (near the High School and Brookwood Forest elem. for affordability) and then Cahaba Heights (which is Vestavia).

My ranking for location and school system would be:

1. Mtn Brook
2. Vestavia
3. Homewood
4. Hoover (but like already stated, on the Greystone side so you can take the back roads).
5. Trussville-traffic is awful

Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 26,231 times
Default alabamapal

Shades Valley High School was rated Number 1 in the nation a few years ago. Why not consder that community. There are some really great
homes in your price range off Old Leeds Rd and other parts of Irondale
Good Luck.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,991,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamapal View Post
Shades Valley High School was rated Number 1 in the nation a few years ago. Why not consder that community. There are some really great
homes in your price range off Old Leeds Rd and other parts of Irondale
Good Luck.
Well, the Bacceaulaureate (sp?) school there was. It's a different thing from Shades Valley proper.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,332,340 times
And, not to take away anything from the Jefferson County International Baccalaureate school, but those rankings are useless.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 15,007 times
Rating:

1. Mountain Brook- best school, no "cookie cutter/pre-built/demo" homes, beautiful, living here will probably secure the most "connections, good athletics, has snobs as well as good people
2. Vestavia- definitely much better school than Homewood the scores speak for themselves/while Mountain Brook has old money, Vestavia is more nouveau riche/great sense of community/good athletics/full of "cookie cutter/pre-built/demo" homes just like trussville
3.Homewood- comparing the school to Mountain Brook it is very old and gross. Going there to sit through basketball games has revealed the condition of the school/There are so nice parts, though, like Hollywood, Homewood/ Decent School
4.Trussville- gets the rep fro being redneck/hick, no homes with character, and certainly the school does not touch Mountain Brook or Vestavia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area