Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 36,293 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Birmingham and I am going to be working in the Liberty Park area. I've done my research and I think I've narrowed my search down to Vestavia or Trussville. I have found homes (online only) that I would like to look at in both cities; these homes are in the 375-425k range. It looks as though I can buy a slightly better home in Trussville for the money, but the incomes and home value statistics are pretty close.

I have included Hoover in my search, but the sheer size of the place turns me off a bit.

I want to live in an upper-middle atmosphere with good schools. I refuse to pay the premium for Mountain Brook, and it seems as though Vestavia, Trussville, and Hoover are the nicest upper-middle suburbs (based on statistics). Let me know if I'm missing anything that statistics can't tell me.

Can anyone tell me additional information about schools or anything else I need to know? I am aware that Vestavia probably has the best school system of the three but that Trussville and Hoover have great school systems as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Why wouldn't you move to Mountain Brook at that price point?

Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM

I can get a much better home in Trussville or Vestavia for the price.

Also, I have done my research and it is clear that Mountain Brook is much wealthier than the rest of the suburbs. That isn't the atmosphere I want to be in. I

Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Fair enough. If that's the case, then I'd say that, for sheer quality of life, Homewood and Vestavia are where you want to be. The schools in Homewood are quite good, too.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Quality of life?

Can you give me an explanation? You added in Homewood and removed Trussville. What is it about Trussville that you don't like? Also, what is so great about Homewood? I don't want to put too much emphasis on income, but Homewood's income figures were far below the cities I was looking at.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz21 View Post
Can you give me an explanation? You added in Homewood and removed Trussville. What is it about Trussville that you don't like? Also, what is so great about Homewood? I don't want to put too much emphasis on income, but Homewood's income figures were far below the cities I was looking at.
Well, it's really not a slam on Trussville. Trussville is new, solidly middle class, has some great areas and their schools are pretty good. While there's an older downtown, the large majority of it is new construction, etc. etc. There are some nice new shopping centers. My worry about Trussville is that its growth is largely uncontrolled and may become a nightmare in the coming years. Spend time in traffic on Highway 11, Trussville's main drag, at rush hour, add three-five years of heavy growth, and I think you get the idea--particularly if you commute to Liberty Park. Now, there are people on this forum who live in Trussville and love it and may object to my opinion. But opinion is what you're looking for.

However, Homewood's income numbers that you're referring to are highly misleading due to the high concentration of apartments in one section of town. The rest of Homewood is very nice, and it's a very livable part of town that's close in to downtown with nice shopping areas, older upscale scenic neighborhoods, and graceful streets. It's almost exclusively made up of professionals, which fits the kind of upper-middle class demographics that appeal to you. While your commute is roughly equal distance to Liberty Park from Trussville, it's against rush hour flow. Homewood is also more convenient to a lot more of Birmingham's amenities, from the more upscale shopping, the restaurant/entertainment districts, the zoo, concert halls, etc. etc. The schools are also excellent. It's a pretty charming place.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,326,585 times
I'm from Hoover, but I'd say you should probably take my advice with a little caution since I haven't actually lived there since 2003. Other than a couple of visits, I haven't stayed for an extended period of time. Actually, I'm visiting at the end of the month!

Anyway, my parents live in Hoover, in Greystone. Because you have reservations about the size of Hoover, I doubt you'd want to live in Greystone. It's a pretty big development. From where my parents live, it takes about 15 minutes to get to The Summit and about 30 or so to get to the Galleria (as in Riverchase).

Greystone does have it's own Elementary and it's great. Both of my brothers attend school there and I hear nothing but good things about the school. I think most of Greystone is now zoned for Spain Park High School, but I'm not sure because when I started high school, there was only Hoover High. Either way, you have two of the best high schools in the state. Depending on your children's plan for college, the IB program at Hoover High might be worth a look.

Another great place to look in Hoover might be Ross Bridge. It's a little closer to the shopping and Birmingham than Greystone.

Maybe after I get back home and drive around a bit, I could be of more help.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I'm from Hoover, but I'd say you should probably take my advice with a little caution since I haven't actually lived there since 2003. Other than a couple of visits, I haven't stayed for an extended period of time. Actually, I'm visiting at the end of the month!

Anyway, my parents live in Hoover, in Greystone. Because you have reservations about the size of Hoover, I doubt you'd want to live in Greystone. It's a pretty big development. From where my parents live, it takes about 15 minutes to get to The Summit and about 30 or so to get to the Galleria (as in Riverchase).

Greystone does have it's own Elementary and it's great. Both of my brothers attend school there and I hear nothing but good things about the school. I think most of Greystone is now zoned for Spain Park High School, but I'm not sure because when I started high school, there was only Hoover High. Either way, you have two of the best high schools in the state. Depending on your children's plan for college, the IB program at Hoover High might be worth a look.

Another great place to look in Hoover might be Ross Bridge. It's a little closer to the shopping and Birmingham than Greystone.

Maybe after I get back home and drive around a bit, I could be of more help.
Greystone might be a good place for the OP. Typically, I'm a little nervous suggesting the area ONLY because of the terrible traffic along 280. However, because the OP is driving to Liberty Park, he/she would be able to enjoy a pleasant drive to work along 119 to Grants Mill Road to Sicard Hollow Road.

However, having the misfortune to drive it both ways to downtown at Rush Hour, I'd balk if that were my commute. Life's too short to spend two hours daily in stop-and-go traffic.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 PM

23,876 posts, read 10,251,883 times
Greystone is not one big subdivision. My Better Half works in Liberty Park. The back route of 41 and Grants Mills Road is a good alternative.
The school is two miles, Publix/Fresh Market/WallMart/Brunos ... all around three/four miles

Old 09-12-2008, 03:08 PM

Jz, we're happy to help you narrow things down further. What are your interests? What do you enjoy doing with family and friends? This will be critical to making a good recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area