Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate from college with a degree in accounting and I was wondering what the market is like in Birmingham right now ? I live near Atlanta and the market is horrible here right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 AM

261 posts, read 738,705 times
It's not so hot in B'ham, either, unless you have 2 - 3 yrs. experience, preferably with Big 4. One of my kids is job hunting in central & northern AL and is having no luck, despite being an honors grad. Sorry.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,067 times
Tax season will be coming up the beginning of 2009, if you don't have anything by then bet you can get on doing taxes with someone and build some experience and maybe things will improve, you are in an excellent field, hang in there.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
It's tough all over but, relatively speaking, it's better in Birmingham. Unemployment rates are a good 1.5% lower than the rest of the country, and markedly lower than Atlanta. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:14 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,677 times
Matt

Try www.AL.COM

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 AM

111 posts, read 257,571 times
The accounting firms in Birmingham are circling the wagons right now and are being cautious about hiring because of the uncertainty in the economy. Somebody above mentioned tax season, but most of them have already hired for 2009. This is typically the time of year when accountants move around in search of other opportunities (to create the openings you're seeking), but a lot of them are staying put this year because they don't want to be at the bottom of the totem pole at a new firm if layoffs come.

As for new graduates, the local offices typically hire through their university recruiting at the state and local universities. In Birmingham alone you have three universities (UAB, Samford and Birmingham Southern) with reputable accounting programs cranking out graduates, plus students coming back home from Auburn, Alabama and the various other state schools. That's not to say you're completely shut out, but you need to understand that you'll be competing with people who have already been participating in the recruiting process at least since August, and in some cases since the spring.

Also, are you aware that the requirements to sit for the CPA exam in Alabama are more stringent than those in Georgia? You specifically must have 9 hours of financial accounting, 6 hours of audit, 6 hours of tax, 3 hours of cost accounting, 3 hours of governmental/non-profit accounting (yes, governmental is required) and six hours of electives. In addition, you must have 3 hours of business law and 27 hours of general business classes. Extra accounting classes do not apply toward that general business total, so if you take three accounting electives the state only recognizes two. Quite a few kids from Alabama go to school out of state, then move back thinking they're going to work in Birmingham, only to discover that they don't qualify for the CPA exam and, as a result, aren't attractive candidates for the local offices of the accounting firms who want you working 60 hour weeks instead of sitting in class. When I took governmental accounting, at least a third of the class were transient students from other universities trying to finish up their CPA requirements.

You probably have more opportunities in Atlanta. But then, it never hurts to try anyway. The worst that could happen is that nobody hires you.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 PM

45 posts, read 126,875 times
I work for Compass Bank and we are always hiring. However, you may not get a job as an accountant but it will be in the financial arena. Private message me if you are interested.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,267 times
If your grades are good (GPA 3.5+), you have a good resume, and interview well, there are opportunites for you in Birmingham. If you haven't already gotten feedback on your resume through career services at your university, do that. Your resume is very important; perfect it. Send a resume and cover letter out to all of the accounting firms in the phone directory. You may be able to get a list from the AICPA or PCAOB websites also. Follow up with a call a week later and ask for an interview. Finding a job is a job within itself and requires work and dedication. You probably know that, but some people don't. (FYI: Don't tell them you want to move to B'ham because you can't find a job in Atlanta. You want them to think you are a great catch and can get a job anywhere.) Consider applying for the Master of Accounting program at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB); it is a great program that will open doors for you.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 AM

20 posts, read 69,827 times
I'm graduating in the summer with a Master's in Physics from UAB, and I'm concerned about job prospects as well. Does anyone know of a company I might find work at either in Birmingham, or the Southeast in general?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyzzydud View Post
I'm graduating in the summer with a Master's in Physics from UAB, and I'm concerned about job prospects as well. Does anyone know of a company I might find work at either in Birmingham, or the Southeast in general?
Go to Huntsville. Birmingham just isn't a physics kind of town, unless you go to Southern Research Institute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area