Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 AM

12 posts, read 29,472 times

Advertisements

We have made an offer on a house in Springville. The street is Pinedale rd. and the house is the first at the highway 11 side. Farther down this road, there is a pretty depressed area.
The house is a very good deal. It's perfect for us in so many ways.

I noticed that the elderly seller has a big guard dog and a security system. Is that just because she's 74, or should we reconsider the area? We have small children and we were willing to commute because "area" is the most important criterea for us, and overall, Springville is by far better on their crime numbers than our former dwellings.

It's such a big decision. Does anyone here know the Springville neighborhoods well?
Thank you so much for your help!
Clare (closing in a few days on the house we sold)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 01:03 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clareb View Post
We have made an offer on a house in Springville. The street is Pinedale rd. and the house is the first at the highway 11 side. Farther down this road, there is a pretty depressed area.
The house is a very good deal. It's perfect for us in so many ways.

I noticed that the elderly seller has a big guard dog and a security system. Is that just because she's 74, or should we reconsider the area? We have small children and we were willing to commute because "area" is the most important criterea for us, and overall, Springville is by far better on their crime numbers than our former dwellings.

It's such a big decision. Does anyone here know the Springville neighborhoods well?
Thank you so much for your help!
Clare (closing in a few days on the house we sold)

Not being your realtor, I can not give you any advice on your choice, but if you have an offer and if it has not been accepted yet, you better pull it FAST(if you want out) as once they accept your offer, it will be harder to get out of the deal.

You should ask that question of your Realtor. They should be able to look up police records in that area for you. Or just go out on a nice weekend, which will be in short supply soon, and talk to the neighbors.

Best of luck!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Again View Post
if you have an offer and if it has not been accepted yet, you better pull it FAST(if you want out) as once they accept your offer, it will be harder to get out of the deal.

just go out on a nice weekend, which will be in short supply soon, and talk to the neighbors.

Best of luck!
I'm glad that someone has replied.
We did place a number of contingencies into the offer as a way out, so we have many, including a personal inspection to our unspecified standards within the next 12 days.

Nice weekends in short supply? Oh, I see. The weather is growing colder...We did meet one neighbor who is a local pastor and he and his wife were very sweet. They sold us a Cocker Spaniel puppy.
Thank you,
Clare

Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I'm glad that someone has replied.
We did place a number of contingencies into the offer as a way out, so we have many, including a personal inspection to our unspecified standards within the next 12 days.

Nice weekends in short supply? Oh, I see. The weather is growing colder...We did meet one neighbor who is a local pastor and he and his wife were very sweet. They sold us a Cocker Spaniel puppy.
Thank you,
Clare
Just wondering what the Pastor had to say about the neighborhood.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:20 AM

He said that he made an offer on the house that we are pursuing, (it has 10 acres that he wanted), but the seller turned him down. He didn't mention the amount and we didn't reveal our amount, either.

His house was closer down toward the depressed end of the road and I was hesitant to really spell out my concerns, but they said they had lived there quite a while and really liked Springville.
There are a couple of other neighbors I could speak with at the highway 11 end of the road. It's a very good idea.
Clare

Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 AM

You must be talking about 5541 Pinedale Road.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Yeah, that's it. Is that a bad neighborhood?
Clare

Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. Is that a bad neighborhood?
Clare
This is the best I can do, CLICK HERE

Old 11-10-2008, 02:40 PM

Thank you for all of that, but I think the pursuit is over.

We offered, she counter-offered wanting $2000 more.
We are debt free and we're going to stay that way.
We said, take our offer or this is goodbye.
I guess she lost her deal over $2000 , but we didn't have it to give and we are not going to borrow.

Oh well, there are other houses out there.
Thank you for trying to help,
Clare

Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all of that, but I think the pursuit is over.

We offered, she counter-offered wanting $2000 more.
We are debt free and we're going to stay that way.
We said, take our offer or this is goodbye.
I guess she lost her deal over $2000 , but we didn't have it to give and we are not going to borrow.

Oh well, there are other houses out there.
Thank you for trying to help,
Clare
The report I sent you is the same report your Realtor can do for you. On your next offer, ask for a Community Report first.

Good Luck!

PS If you don't mind, can I ask what the offer was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area