Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 08:56 PM

15 posts, read 66,841 times

Advertisements

Relocating very soon to Hoover,AL area. What are some suggestions for pre-schools/moms day out? Also, any really good suggestions for mom groups/play groups? I'm from the mid-west and would love to meet other moms that have relocated into the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM

32 posts, read 132,106 times
Hi - I am currently living in Hoover, right outside of Birmingham. We are preparing to move to GA - what area are you coming from? Anyway I have a three year old that goes to Riverchase United Methodist Day School, and he LOVES it and I have only good things to say about the preschool, his teacher and the entire place are wonderful. Really have had a great experience with this area all around, I am sad to leave - I have only been here since last summer. Good luck, please let me know if you need more help!

Day School

Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM

Your situation sound similar to mine. We have only lived in GA since last April. Job issues, so now we are Birmingham bound. Where are you moving in GA? We are in Ringgold which is only 20 minutes from downtown Chattanooga. I'm sad to leave too. We love the Aquarium and usually go a couple times a month. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion. We haven't sold our home but decided to rent and get our lives started in AL.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 AM

We are moving to Locust Grove area - hubby will actually be working in Juliette. I am glad in a way to hear you are sad to leave, as I am experiencing a lot of negativity about GA on these boards! You are going to love it here!
The south suburbs of Birmingham are wonderful and the area is so pretty (mountains) Do you already know what area of Hoover you are coming to?
I also belong to a moms group at a Catholic Church, and they have been a saving grace to me. They also have a preschool as well as a private elementary school -- Let me know if you want more info about them. It is a wonderful group of women that meet every Friday and then have different playgroups, mom's night out etc. during the week.
I am originally from Illinois and we still own our home there and rent it out. We are in an apartment here and are looking forward to getting back into a house.
I just reread your post and saw that you are from Midwest, how funny we really do have a lot in common. I am wishing you the best and will be happy to try and answer any more questions for you.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:11 AM

Also, I just remembered you saying you loved the aquarium - Birmingham Zoo is close to Hoover and a great place to go. We got a family pass and the kids love it.

Birmingham Zoo - Home

Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 AM

Yes, I would love more information on the mom's group. Is it a private group? Also, how religious? I was raised Catholic but prefer a group that is open minded. Some mom's groups can be up tight and not so relaxed. I'm looking for the right fit. Since your from the mid-west it gives me hope that I will like the area. Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:31 PM

172 posts, read 609,527 times
I'm an on location child photographer, so I know there are lots of groups in B'ham. Check out Birmingham Parent Magazine

Old 02-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Well I am not Catholic and they are very accepting of me. It is a great group of women, here is the link to the group =)

Contract All | Expand All (http://princeofpeace-hoover.org/ministries.htm - broken link)
(you may have to scroll down and click on MOMS group)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area