Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Things that Birmingham, Alabama should have, unified metro government, rapid transit, domed stadium, new convention center, upgrade of parks system, better educational system

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 AM

522 posts, read 846,500 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Wow. That's pretty modest. Here's my list.

1. Some kind of unified metro government. Let everybody have their own school system, but save the taxpayer money by at least combining purchasing, if not fire and police services. When I lived in the city of Birmingham, I found the police to be pretty responsive and efficient. So were their other emergency services.
2. True rapid transit. It's kind of hard to believe, but Birmingham used to have one of the country's finest transit systems, where you could ride from Centerpoint to Bessemer on trollies that, after we shut down our system, continued running in Toronto for decades. It's really going to be critical to our growth.
3. Continued resurgence of our downtown area. Surprisingly, downtown occupancy is now north of 90%, with a growing loft community. As this continues, downtown will continue to stop being a wasteland at night and regain its vitality.
4. A domed stadium/revamped convention center. Sorry, but to attract any number of events, from the SEC championship to conventions to decent bowl games and professional sports teams, we have to have a quality facility in place. We blew 3.5 billion on a sewer that doesn't work. Surely we can scrape up the cash for a 400 million facility amortized over 30 years.
5. Continued upgrade of our parks system. The Red Mountain Park is going to be great with literally miles and miles of jogging and running trails (You'll eventually be able to bike from Vulcan to Helena on the thing), and the Railroad Park downtown will be a terrific venue. I would like more of the city's natural beauty to come out.
6. A decent educational system in Birmingham proper.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

1. Some kind of unified metro government. Let everybody have their own school system, but save the taxpayer money by at least combining purchasing, if not fire and police services. When I lived in the city of Birmingham, I found the police to be pretty responsive and efficient. So were their other emergency services.
2. True rapid transit. It's kind of hard to believe, but Birmingham used to have one of the country's finest transit systems, where you could ride from Centerpoint to Bessemer on trollies that, after we shut down our system, continued running in Toronto for decades. It's really going to be critical to our growth.
3. Continued resurgence of our downtown area. Surprisingly, downtown occupancy is now north of 90%, with a growing loft community. As this continues, downtown will continue to stop being a wasteland at night and regain its vitality.
4. A domed stadium/revamped convention center. Sorry, but to attract any number of events, from the SEC championship to conventions to decent bowl games and professional sports teams, we have to have a quality facility in place. We blew 3.5 billion on a sewer that doesn't work. Surely we can scrape up the cash for a 400 million facility amortized over 30 years.
5. Continued upgrade of our parks system. The Red Mountain Park is going to be great with literally miles and miles of jogging and running trails (You'll eventually be able to bike from Vulcan to Helena on the thing), and the Railroad Park downtown will be a terrific venue. I would like more of the city's natural beauty to come out.
EXCELLENT list. I can't say I think we'll get our money back from the domed stadium (let's face it, ATL is right there), but the rest of the suggestions are great.
I could definitely do without the D&B's and Jillian's.
Personally, I'd like more international presence, restaurants, etc...but I know that's mostly just me missing what I'm used to before I moved here.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
EXCELLENT list. I can't say I think we'll get our money back from the domed stadium (let's face it, ATL is right there), but the rest of the suggestions are great.
I could definitely do without the D&B's and Jillian's.
Personally, I'd like more international presence, restaurants, etc...but I know that's mostly just me missing what I'm used to before I moved here.
Well, if you look at the cost of a $400 million dome amortized over 30 years, it's really only about $20 million or so annually including the interest costs of the bond issue. When you realize that the city reaped close to $9 million in additional lodging and sales taxes from a C-level bowl game in December, then it suddenly isn't that much of a stretch.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,555 times
A new mayor!

Also, I work in Birmingham and pay income tax to Birmingham but I live in Bessemer. I would like to be able VOTE in the Birmingham elections!

IMO, Not being able to vote in a city that I pay taxes to is Taxation without representation!

Can you imagine what a different place Birmingham would be if this were possible? Think about all the people who don't live in the city but work there.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:05 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Quote:

Haha, I know that it is kinda skim...I was actually talking about a retail, restaurants, and enterntainment list. Your list pretty much sums up my list, and I agree that it is a good list. I will add more as I think of it...stuff that's more useful.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Well, if you look at the cost of a $400 million dome amortized over 30 years, it's really only about $20 million or so annually including the interest costs of the bond issue. When you realize that the city reaped close to $9 million in additional lodging and sales taxes from a C-level bowl game in December, then it suddenly isn't that much of a stretch.
Yeah, but i don't like math. so i'm against it.
Just kidding. maybe its a good idea. I'm just skeptical. Especially with the bond deals around here. I believe they've found that cities rarely get a financial benefit from these kinds of things, but I don't know the specifics.

Last edited by bluebeard; 03-12-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
A new mayor!

Also, I work in Birmingham and pay income tax to Birmingham but I live in Bessemer. I would like to be able VOTE in the Birmingham elections!

IMO, Not being able to vote in a city that I pay taxes to is Taxation without representation!

Can you imagine what a different place Birmingham would be if this were possible? Think about all the people who don't live in the city but work there.
Ideally, this and other metro areas would have metro regional gov'ts, so every city and county would cooperate instead of over-competing. but we're a long way off from anything like that happening.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,555 times
aye aye mate! Well said!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times
Quote:

Maybe you can get together with Langford and figure out a way to get all that done, and how to pay for it. I think that these are all things that would be nice if they just suddenly appeared in our Christmas stocking, but I am not convinced of the practicality of it. Another thing I think of is that if downtown becomes gentrified with lofts and martini lounges, what will become of all the facilities and networks that are there to help the homeless and mentally ill? What about affordable housing? If people can't afford to live there, homelessness will increase, and all the metrolites will want the safehavens and centers for homeless and mentally ill people out of their back yards. I agree that downtown should not be a wasteland, and in my opinion there is no excuse for it. I just worry about what will happen to those that are not able to support themselves otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area