Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:52 PM

10 posts, read 20,165 times

Advertisements

From my research, and your price range, you could live in a townhouse behind the summit and be in the middle of it all. Downtown would work as well, but the summit area is classy. Its a nice town with a lot of cute parts to it. I believe Trussville/Alabaster/Helena/and Pelham will be to far out for your taste. If you have dogs I heard Homewood is a cozy area, but not like being in the city either. I would drive down summit blvd and look to see whats for rent back there. good luck!

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:09 PM

18 posts, read 78,721 times
I think you want the summit area somwhere off 280, i live in hoover, it's nice, but kinda conservative for a black man (as i am) but my neighbors are decent people to me.
The only true club spots here is the comedy club, we may venture to the southside for some clubbing, but truthfully, i never found much clubbing or nightlife available in downtown atlanta (the same is true of birmingham, where there really isn't much nightlife). My girlfirend and i spend many weekends in memphis or nashville.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,021 times
Default Relocating to B'Ham from SoCal

Hi,

I am relocating to Birmingham from Los Angeles with my fiance (born and raised in B'ham). I know very little about the city and am interested in getting information on the job market, places to live and churches (I am non-denominationl, probably closest to pentecostal).

My fiance is already there and working but I still need employment (Marketing, Direct Mail Advertising, Print Production) and do not want to make the move until I have been able to secure a job.

Any advice given will be GREATLY appreciated

Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,352,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmart2366 View Post
Hi,

I am relocating to Birmingham from Los Angeles with my fiance (born and raised in B'ham). I know very little about the city and am interested in getting information on the job market, places to live and churches (I am non-denominationl, probably closest to pentecostal).

My fiance is already there and working but I still need employment (Marketing, Direct Mail Advertising, Print Production) and do not want to make the move until I have been able to secure a job.

lmart, The Birmingham News' classified section is online: www.al.com. Sometimes you have to just make appointments and go meet the HR people, even if they tell you they're not hiring. People tend to hire somebody they know, so if you've already met them it could help.

As far as a church...there are a LOT of churches to choose from! In addition to non-denominational, you might want to check out Southern Baptist churches with contemporary services. There is a lot of variation among even Southern Baptist churches...check out their Web sites and visit.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,991,004 times
Quote:
Hi,

Hi. Marketing guy here. Give me a little more on your background, and I'll steer you in a direction.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM

24,075 posts, read 10,405,583 times
Quote:
Hi,

That is not enough information to base answers on. Unless you are in a high demand and or sr. management position please do not expect relocation. It will probably be easier for you to come to BHam and search in market. Send me info by PM if you want to. Otherwise - congratulations - you picked a great place to move to.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 21,868 times
Default Moving to Birmingham

Hello-

I have been offered a position at the Birmingham VA Medical Center. I and my fiance will be re-locating from St. Cloud MN sometime late this summer. We are well past 40 in age- no kids- and between the two of us have lived in large cities like San Diego, Memphis, Philadelphia as well as small towns such as Sun Valley ID...

What we seek is an apartment/townhome 1+ bedroom close to VA hospital in a reasonably safe area of town (he has very expensive music instruments and will be hopefully looking for gigs soon after arrival) Currently our combined salary is in the 36,000 per yr range so can't afford much more than 650 per month rent- with luck perhaps buy a house within a year.

Any suggestions on what properties to investigate for rental in our price range as well as neighborhoods to consider would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjblues View Post
Hello-

I have been offered a position at the Birmingham VA Medical Center. I and my fiance will be re-locating from St. Cloud MN sometime late this summer. We are well past 40 in age- no kids- and between the two of us have lived in large cities like San Diego, Memphis, Philadelphia as well as small towns such as Sun Valley ID...

What we seek is an apartment/townhome 1+ bedroom close to VA hospital in a reasonably safe area of town (he has very expensive music instruments and will be hopefully looking for gigs soon after arrival) Currently our combined salary is in the 36,000 per yr range so can't afford much more than 650 per month rent- with luck perhaps buy a house within a year.

Any suggestions on what properties to investigate for rental in our price range as well as neighborhoods to consider would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Southside, easily. Preferably in the neighborhoods along Highland Avenue.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,581,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Southside, easily. Preferably in the neighborhoods along Highland Avenue.
Southside and downtown both fit the bill perfectly.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Southside and downtown both fit the bill perfectly.
You know, I never really think about downtown, even though it has a lot going for it nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area