Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:26 PM

346 posts, read 1,779,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Birmingham looks boring.
And we like that - keeps people out:>) at least the ones who do not bother to look a bit furhter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I just got a tip that Birmingham, AL is the place to be. I got this tip from a friend who sat next to a guy on an airplane. He lives there, and he says that it offers the best of everything and medical and tech are moving in.

Can somebody please confirm any of this? I'm a 43 year old single professional woman with an Internet business. I'm currently stuck on a treadmill in Los Angeles and trying like hell to find a better place to live.

All suggestions, advice, and other information greatly welcomed.

Artie

I recently moved here with my wife so she can attend UAB medical. So far, it is great. Cost of living is below average and quality is above average. Social scene: Pretty good. The downtown tries to be hip, not nearly as hip as LA, but it tries and does well with its own little style. I'm originally from New Orleans, so I am used to a city with a lot to offer and I feel comfortable here in BHam.

Also, you say you are in Internet business. Well, BHam is creeping into high tech here.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 63,834 times
Default Glenn Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I just got a tip that Birmingham, AL is the place to be. I got this tip from a friend who sat next to a guy on an airplane. He lives there, and he says that it offers the best of everything and medical and tech are moving in.

Can somebody please confirm any of this? I'm a 43 year old single professional woman with an Internet business. I'm currently stuck on a treadmill in Los Angeles and trying like hell to find a better place to live.

All suggestions, advice, and other information greatly welcomed.

Artie
first i am a stockbroker and the phones are ringing and give me a break on grammer and spelling ,i was born in bham and traveled everywhere Bham is home to uab one of the top rated hospitals in the us.mt brook al is the best area on or the richest per capita citys in the us nice homes you will find cheap compared to la....lots of culture great resturants 4 hours to the gulf,3 hours to mountians 2 hours to atlanta 2 hours from huntsville one of the fastest growing tech towns in the usw,,,,,,look it up on the internet Birmingham is the only place i would live!!!!
Moderator cut: removed personal & business contact info

Last edited by Figment 07; 05-08-2007 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Soliciting/promoting business not allowed in the forums

Old 11-05-2007, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,935 times
Default Hello

Birmingham is the greatest city in the world in my opinion. There is a high number of violent crimes but were working on that. It's a very safe place to live there are certain areas that are prone to crime but that's any city. I just hope you don't let that keep you from coming here.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,832 times
If you don't like friendly people, don't move here! I don't acually live in Birmingham but I have worked there for 17yrs. I love it. If you can stay out of the political aspects of the city and just live your life you will love it also. The city government is as corrupt as the Medillin Drug Cartel was. It's gonna get worse now with "Leisure Suit" Larry Langford at the helm!

I have lived in central Alabama my whole life and never wish to live anywhere else!

Check out McCalla, Bessemer, Hoover, Vestavia, Trussville or Gardendale!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 30,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
If you don't like friendly people, don't move here! I don't acually live in Birmingham but I have worked there for 17yrs. I love it. If you can stay out of the political aspects of the city and just live your life you will love it also. The city government is as corrupt as the Medillin Drug Cartel was. It's gonna get worse now with "Leisure Suit" Larry Langford at the helm!

I have lived in central Alabama my whole life and never wish to live anywhere else!

Check out McCalla, Bessemer, Hoover, Vestavia, Trussville or Gardendale!
In defense of Birmingham, the entire county leaves much to be desired politically. And truth be told, if we use federal convictions as a barometer of corruption, Jefferson County pulls far ahead of Birmingham in those regards.

In the past two decades (perhaps even three), the city of Birmingham has not had one single conviction of a mayor or councilor. And as for Larry Langford, he is Birmingham's mayor-elect that was formerly a county commissioner - so, make your own conclusions.

But not to derail this thread... Birmingham is a wonderful city with some of the best people, food, scenery, shopping, and cultural activities that you'll find south of the Mason-Dixon.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 PM

182 posts, read 901,126 times
Dang it! Seeeee I knew that the word would get out about Birmingham!
In a few years we'll have another Orange county on our hands.

I moved here from the LA area nearly 2 years ago and love it here. This place met all my criteria. Inexpensive, close enough to the coast/beach to go for the day/weekend and mild winters.

With the exception of the humidity in the summer (july & aug), the temperatures here are very similiar to what you will see in the Pasadena, CA area.

If you're not a 20-something who just has to go clubbin' every night of the week until 5:00am then you would do just fine in Birmingham as far as entertainment goes, IMO.

While it may be a slightly longer trip to the beach from Bham vs LA it is WELL worth it in my opinion. The beaches in the gulf and the Atlantic kick the pants off the Pacific!

I have not really found much lacking here other than a Trader Joe's and a Nordstom but I can drive over to Atlanta for those if need be. While the alcohol rules can be annoying it's not enough for me to swear the place off.

While there are no mountains like in there are in CA, it's very lush and beautiful here.

Now don't tell anyone else!

Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,894 times
Unhappy don't move here if you are single

i have lived in bham a little over two years after graduating from college. love my friends and close enough to my family. but the young scene in birmingham is pretty couples with strollers. you will have to hunt and dig for the young singles. i'm 25 and have a huge group of friends and am honestly one of the only single normal people i think in town. if you are a 40 something and single and care to find men who also are and are of quality. IT IS NOT THE PLACE YOU NEED TO BE. it's a beautiful place and friendly enough and surely growing but not for the unmarried.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 PM

182 posts, read 901,126 times
brenncc, if you haven't already, you should try an Art on the Rocks function at the museum some time. MEAT MARKET! But in a good way. I've never seen so many young, pretty people crammed into one place in Birmingham!

There are several restaurants/bars that I've noticed have quite the singles scene going on as well. Cocina Superior after 7:00pm seems to be one of them.

I know of some other places for the over 40 crowd but I try to avoid them. My BF is 47 and the single over 40 ladies stare/drool at him like a pork chop when we darken those doors.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Bham View Post
brenncc, if you haven't already, you should try an Art on the Rocks function at the museum some time. MEAT MARKET! But in a good way. I've never seen so many young, pretty people crammed into one place in Birmingham!

There are several restaurants/bars that I've noticed have quite the singles scene going on as well. Cocina Superior after 7:00pm seems to be one of them.
Another one is The Tavern at the Summit....go there at about 6 pm and you will see tons of singles crammed into the bar looking for Mr. Goodbar...I went in there with my wife and little one and frankly we needed to leave...

Also try Bottega's patio and casual side....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area