Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 44,009 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Charlotte to Birmingham, AL in August 09. I was offered a job and accepted it - the jobs location is Pellam. I am originally from Seattle, Wa. I currently live in a upper middle class diverse - but mostly white neighborhood and have a daughter that has a slight learning disability and ultimately I am seeking to re-locate in area that is comparable to where we are living and a school district that will accomodate my daughters needs. I have no clue - where to look - I've heard of Hoover, AL. Am I on the right track? Any help will be appreciated. I am finding my search and wanting to be exact to be stressful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:08 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,410 times
Upper to Middle class black people live where ever they can afford

Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I think Hoover is an excellent choice for you. Mind you, Hoover sprawls all over the place, and has a well-funded school system which, in turns, means well-funded special needs programs. I also think that you'll find the right mix of diversity. If you choose Hoover, I would offer that the area close to Highway 31/I-65 is the right match for you for sheer convenience. Hoover stretches all the way over to Highway 280, which means a much longer commute.

Vestavia and Mountain Brook are also excellent choices for special needs children in this area. The level of the diversity isn't as high in those cities, especially Mountain Brook. At the same time, it's nowhere like the way it used to be a generation ago. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised no matter what suburb you choose.

Feel free to ask us any questions you see fit. We're always glad to be of help.

Last edited by cpg35223; 07-18-2009 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 06:37 AM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
I'm not too familiar with the Birmingham area, but I tend to hear a lot of good things about vestevia hills and Hoover as someone note earlier.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think Hoover is an excellent choice for you. Mind you, Hoover sprawls all over the place, and has a well-funded school system which, in turns, means well-funded special needs programs. I also think that you'll find the right mix of diversity. If you choose Hoover, I would offer that the area close to Highway 31/I-65 is the right match for you for sheer convenience. Hoover stretches all the way over to Highway 280, which means a much longer commute.

Vestavia and Mountain Brook are also excellent choices for special needs children in this area. The level of the diversity isn't as high in those cities, especially Mountain Brook. At the same time, it's nowhere like the way it used to be a generation ago. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised no matter what suburb you choose.

Feel free to ask us any questions you see fit. We're always glad to be of help.
Are there actually African American kids in MB schools now? I know was the only one when I was at MB elementary and junior high and I'm not even fully African American, lol.

Last edited by pennquaker09; 07-19-2009 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Are there actually African American kids in MB schools now? I know was the only one when I was at MB elementary and junior high and I'm not even fully African American, lol.
About a dozen or so, all told. Yeah, I know it's not perfect, but it's progress.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 AM

5 posts, read 28,201 times
I can tell you the number of black students in Vestavia and Mountain Brook are both inflated compared to the number of black people with children living in the area. Many of the students are bussed in to fill "needed" spots in the high schools. Literally fit all non white/asian people onto two pages of my yearbook and can count maybe three that were living in the area at the time.

They may have changed their policies on filling "needed" spots since I was in high school.

Last edited by hexkaster; 07-23-2009 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: *fixed a spelling error with edit

Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexkaster View Post
I can tell you the number of black students in Vestavia and Mountain Brook are both inflated compared to the number of black people with children living in the area. Many of the students are bussed in to fill "needed" spots in the high schools. Literally fit all non white/asian people onto two pages of my yearbook and can count maybe three that were living in the area at the time.

They may have changed their policies on filling "needed" spots since I was in high school.
Actually, your information about Mountain Brook is utterly wrong. No students are bussed into the Mountain Brook school system. The black students who are there are the children of high-income professionals, just like the white students. In fact, one of the families lives down the street from us, having moved here three years ago from out west. At a neighborhood party, she and I had a conversation about the challenges of being in an almost entirely-white school system. She said, "Really, we haven't had the first problem."

Old 07-23-2009, 06:40 AM

6 posts, read 44,009 times
Thanks so much for the information. I am seeking diversity and high end living - so it looks like Hoover may be my best bet. I am looking forward to the move and hope my daughter will adjust well - in fact, me too.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
hexcaster -- are you referring to Vestavia? If so, you're talking about the kids who live in the "historically black" Oxmoor Valley area just over the mountain from Vestavia. That area is zoned either Birmingham or Jefferson County. For years there was a consent decree that had those kids attending Vestavia. But within the last couple years I believe there was a resolution of some kind made to phase that out so that only current enrollees under that decree and their siblings will go to Vestavia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area