Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,173 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocation to the Birmingham area, most likely Hoover. I have a two year old and a four year old and I stay at home with them for now. I am hoping to find out some information on recommended preschools in the area, good neighborhoods for kids and dogs and if anyone has any mom's groups they can recommend. We are looking at houses around $250,000.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,997 times
There are a few developments in Hoover that have homes in that price range that I know of. (Note: "new" means under 10 years old)
Lake Cyrus (new homes, most are more expensive)
Deer Valley (new homes, great starters)
Ross Bridge (brand new, these are hard to find... expensive, but neat area!)
Bluff Park (older homes)
Russet Woods (old to new homes)

These are all great walk-your-dog and let the kids-play-in-the-front-yard kind of places. Ross Bridge is a little more "sophisticated" but I know a bunch of kids who live there. All of these are on the west side of Birmingham which has a lot of new development going on, including a new Target shopping center (though the other one - the Galleria - is 2 miles from these areas), and a proposed hospital. None are far from the interstate so commuting is good.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,173 times
That is great info. I really appreciate it! Did you mean to East of Birmingham, instead of to the West?

Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 PM

23 posts, read 122,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8agli View Post
Did you mean to East of Birmingham, instead of to the West?
nope....they meant to the south....southwest possibly.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,677 times
I think they meant West Hoover

Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,997 times
I did mean West Hoover. Sorry.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 AM

754 posts, read 1,922,482 times
In that price range, you are probably better off to look into the Bluff Park area if you want a family home. You can also get a newer town home in that range. Bluff Park has great schools and a lot of stay at home moms so finding a moms group shouldn't be a problem. I am not as much familar with the preschools in that area.

Oh, and stay off the bluff - thats Shades Crest and any other road that is major throughfare. The houses are mostly too close to that busy road and so a hazard to your childrens play time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area