Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,351 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am attempting to find an early Sunday morning church service to attend. I grew up in a non-denominational church but it was pretty close to Church of Christ so I am looking for something similar. I have nothing against a 'contemporary' service but just prefer a traditional one. However, I work in the nursery at a church in Vestavia on Sunday mornings starting at 9:45, which is why I'm looking for an early morning service, preferably in the same area.
I am not picky about denominations so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Well, St. Mary's on the Highland's, an Episcopal church, has a 7:30 a.m. service that's about as traditional as you get, using the liturgy from the 1928 Book of Common Prayer. Depends on if you prefer a liturgical approach or not of course.

Welcome ::St. Mary's On The Highlands::

Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 PM

754 posts, read 1,915,954 times
There is a non-denominational church in the area that has a traditional feel to the sermons. The pastor was Baptist (I beleive) - ex West Point Cadet too.. Mountain Top - very close when you cut through the backroads to the Rocky Ridge business area of Vestavia. They have an early service.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 PM

153 posts, read 300,808 times
Briarwood would be a consideration. It's a very large church, but definitely traditional. Harry Reeder is a wonderful pastor/teacher. I'm not positive they would have an early service, but it's worth checking out.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,793,301 times
The only denominations that are traditional in the actual meaning of that within a Christian framework are the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic.

Something you're used to is another matter.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:38 PM

Yeah, those d*** protestant/reformed people! They call themselves Christians??? lol

OP was asking about church services, not a denomination--worship style, not a belief system. But I'm pretty sure you knew that.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:47 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
The only denominations that are traditional in the actual meaning of that within a Christian framework are the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic.

Something you're used to is another matter.
Actually, after Vatican II, not much about Catholic masses are traditional. The Episcopal church has done a better job of preserving the liturgy.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:44 AM

Briarwood's early service is at 8am according to the website.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:48 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,793,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, after Vatican II, not much about Catholic masses are traditional. The Episcopal church has done a better job of preserving the liturgy.

Episcopalions are over the map in their style- though I agree their High parishes might well well have preserved the form better, RC's have changed the form a good deal but the traditions dating from the 1st-2nd centuries remain in their essence.Orthodox have eclipsed everyone in both regards.

No implication was made as to who is or is not Christian in any manner as only God knows such things.
That said, it is difficult to see how 30K demoninations serve a purpose.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

No implication was made as to who is or is not Christian in any manner as only God knows such things.
That said, it is difficult to see how 30K demoninations serve a purpose.
It was a joke. I'll use more smileys next time.

I think the fact that there are so many denominations just reflects our desperately flawed human condition. Points all the more to our need for a saviour in Jesus Christ. I risk becoming unbearably spiritually prideful if I think of it in any other terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area