Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 02:47 PM

38 posts, read 108,429 times

Advertisements

I know Alabama has a history of gold production. I want to move to an area that has recreational gold panning / prospecting available. It would have to be on public land because I don't own land, nor know anyone who does. I am seriously looking at moving to a Western state. Still, I know Alabama's gold history and it is a closer / cheaper move. I am curious about relocating in the Heflin area. The only thing really holding me back about moving anywhere in the South is the heat & humidity. I'm 40 years old and have always lived in the Memphis, TN metro area where it's very hot and humid. Moving out west negates the humidity a great deal. I know a more mountainious location, say above 1000 - 1500 feet, will not be as humid either, thus the thought of moving to Alabama even though it gets really hot & humid.

I do not want to live in a big city...something with 30,000 people or smaller would be good. I grew up in a town of 4,000 and that would be ideal. I work doing AP & AR -Office management, so I don't have to live in a certain area to get work. I'd like to live in a smaller town and commute to a larger city if need be. I'd be renting an apartment for myself. I am divorced with no kids and panning / prospecting is my major weekend hobby when I have access.

The Talladega National Forest has some gold in the streams, and panning is allowed, but not sure about using a dredge or highbanker? I have read Cleburne county was a big producer as well. I got into gold panning in an area that historically had no gold, but managed to find some, and it was really enjoyable and "de-stressed me". I know moving to an area where I can actually find gold would be a bonus. I've heard the Alabama gold belt is in the east central part of the state and runs basically north of Montgomery to about Birmingham. I know Georiga might have more gold and is a good place to prospect, but I do not want to be close to Atlanta. Too big and crowded, just like Memphis where I am now.

Thanks for any ideas -suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 07:19 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
There were some of the original settlers around here that found small amounts in local streams, but not enough to make it worthwhile. We are at 800' and about the only part of AL that gets much higher is Lookout Mountain area, in the northeast section of the state.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
The husband's Boy Scout troop went panning for gold in the Mount Cheaha area a few weeks ago. I don't know if they found anything, but apparently that area is known for gold panning...it was news to me, and I've been in Alabama for 45+ years!

Don't know about using other methods to find gold. You would also be fairly close to the Villa Rica, Ga., area, which is the site of the first Georgia "gold rush" and got its name from the amount of gold found there.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM

38 posts, read 108,429 times
Well, I've read several sources online that gold was more prominant in Alabama than these descriptions. Anyone else?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 7,061 times
My Family and I live in Oxford AL. We have been panning in Heflin and the Talladega National forest. Have not found anything yet. Alot of Mica which I thought was gold lol. But still alot of fun and stess releiver.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,951 times
My family lives in the Talladega area. I am very interested in panning for gold in TNF, but not until it gets warm.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,873 times
My two boys and I are also interested in panning for gold. I have been looking at the possibility of driving over to Alabama to spend a week or so but don't know where to go. I do know that there is public land available to pan on, but I'm not sure where to go. How would I find out which land is available, and which land does someone have a claim on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area