Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,411 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Pelham and are considering building a new home. My husband works downtown and needs to be closer rather than farther away, Pelham for him is as far as he wants to be. We do not want to stay in Pelham, and we do not want to live down 280. Preferably, we both want to be in Vestavia/ Homewood/ Forest Park areas, but we both know finding a property to build around there would be tricky. If we move closer to town we will probably end up renovating. We also have to consider school systems as kids will probably be in the picture in a couple of years. Wherever we end up, we want to stay there for a while. Can anyone help me decide where I should start looking? I haven't lived here for long so I still don't know everything there is to know about this town, any opinions are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,098,751 times
Mountain Brook, Vestavia and Homewood would be your ideal locations, particularly is you're trying to balance a reasonable commute time, a nice lifestyle and good schools or the kids. Bluff Park in Hoover would also prove a great place as well. I would say Trussville, but I think the lack of city planning there is beginning to catch up with them. I know that, right now, with all the foreclosures, there are properties and homes in those communities that are relative bargains. I would go to realtytrac.com to hunt those down.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,175 times
We moved from PA four years ago and found a great area called Historic Redmont right outside of English Village which has an amazing bakery and beautiful anitque shops and a great newstand all within walking distnace. The taxes are much lower than Mountain Brook or Homewood but families send their chidlren primarily to private schools. This works out well for transferees because these schools are much more in line with quality of education from out of state- so the private school tuition is a better investmen,IMO, than the higher tax for what is 'considered' better schooling. We have our home on the market (just because of job transfer) and have reduced the price by more than 30% becasue of market condition so now is a great time for you to be looking because soon prices in these areas will be going back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area