Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,933 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be attending UAB Grad school in the fall, and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on areas to live. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm 22 yo, and plan on staying in Birmingham for 2-3 years most likely. I have never been to Birmingham, and I plan on going down in a few weeks to apartment-hunt.

Here's what I'm trying to look for:

-1 BR apartment for under $750/ month
-Close to UAB (10 min drive at most)

Are there safe areas to live near the school (even within walking distance)? I would like to be near the school, restaurants, and night-life, yet still be able to walk my dog in the neighborhood and feel comfortable.

Any neighborhood suggestions would be helpful, or individual apartment complexes would be great as well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
It's possible to live within a 15 minute walk if you like: Southside. Also very close is avondale/forest park or downtown

Old 03-02-2010, 11:32 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Yeah, as Bluebeard said, I would go with Southside. Forest Park/Avondale is a fantastic neighborhood but it's gonna be a bit pricey. Southside won't be dirt cheap either, but it will be more affordable than Forest Park. Depending on where you live in Southside, you could pull off walking to school. I would say try looking around the area by Dreamland BBQ (11th-14th Ave S area). It is a pretty good little neighborhood where several of my friends have lived while in college at UAB. Here's a little Google map of the area I'm talking about:

birmingham, al - Google Maps

Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM

270 posts, read 531,519 times
Very easy to find that price range. Highland Park, Southside, Forest Park as mentioned.

go to any of these 3 sites for dozens of apts in that area.

Birmingham Alabama Apartments by Birmingham-Apartment.com

Engel Residential, Multi-Family Property Management Company

Select My Space: Apartments, Condos & Houses for rent in Birmingham

Old 04-24-2011, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,870 times
Default Best Place to Live In Birmingham

Historical Highland Park is the best place to live in Birmingham. It's close to downtown, UAB, Mountain Brook, coffee shops, night life, a public golf club, public tennis courts, the library, Ruffner Mountain, and you won't be stuck in traffic for 45 minutes! There are romantic sidewalks to stroll along. A dog park to meet your neighbors. You can walk to the theater. One of the parks has outdoor festivities in the summer, including outdoor music. Then there's Doo Dah Day and the Vulcan run/marathon that goes through the neighborhood. There's mountain biking behind Altamont High School- a great place for night rides! The zoo and botanical gardens are less than 2 miles away. Your neighbors are open minded and friendly. The condos and apartments for rent in the area are gorgeous and typically have hardwood floors and high ceilings, very chic. It's absolutely the best place to live and play in Birmingham!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area