Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > LookinForMayberry
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Places, People, and Things Noted During our travels since leaving WA in September '08, I've noted things about different places, and then forgotten them. Maybe this is a place to keep them, to remember.
Old

Humility and Respect Raises US to a Higher Level

Posted 08-17-2011 at 06:46 AM by LookinForMayberry

Though not a Christian Scientist, I've enjoyed the Monitor's articles frequently enough that I like to follow their RSS feeds to see what their take is on situations.

This article captured me for its subtitle, and scanning down through its words I came across this quote that embodies what I've learned so deeply in these past few years: "...the message God imparts to human consciousness is 'Remember that you – and everyone else – are my spiritual image and likeness, actually...
Old

What ARE They THINKING???

Posted 07-13-2011 at 05:35 PM by LookinForMayberry

This week on my way to work, I heard a Republican politician tell a journalist that with 9% unemployment, they were NOT going to agree to raise taxes to avoid raising the debt ceiling. Do they think the taxes would be leveraged on the unemployed?

I have not heard about any tax increase, only a revenue increase from REMOVE tax BREAKs from those with incomes in our highest 3% economic level. Those people are NOT unemployed, and they are not going to stop creating jobs, or take away jobs...
Old

Dad

Posted 06-18-2011 at 09:22 AM by LookinForMayberry
Updated 06-18-2011 at 09:47 AM by Marka

We didn't know each other well. He was 21 when he married Mom, and learned from her rooting around for his birth certificate (needed for his service with the National Guard) that his Mom was actually his aunt. (Seems Grandma never found just the right time to tell him her sister had died when he was just six months old, and his dad wasn't equipped to care for his new son.)

Maybe learning he was adopted made it easier to consent to letting Mom have her way in adopting me, after they'd...
Old

A Murder of Crows

Posted 05-21-2011 at 06:05 PM by LookinForMayberry

Bigun and I were out for our Saturday morning walk around the neighborhood when we saw a cluster of crows fly across our path, squawking and cawing like banshees. We stood and watched as they tumbled to the ground about fifty yards away. One at their center trying to escape the others -- maybe seven in all, clustered around it and beating it with their wings and beaks.

"Hey," I shouted. "Stop that!" We trotted over, Bigun in the lead, anxious to get in on whatever...
Old

Doctor My Eyes ... Cannot See the Sky

Posted 04-23-2011 at 09:34 AM by LookinForMayberry

Jackson Browne's lyrics hit the charts in '72, my sophomore year in high school, when the world took on new meanings in my life -- as they do all young at that age.

I've lost that fresh perspective, and as it started to slip away, the lyrics took on even greater meanings, broader and deeper. Truly, I have to wonder, as others have "woken from their dreams" of a better world, "is it too late for me"?

Because I still want a better world for all of us,...