Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Welcome To Case's Column
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Welcome To Case's Column

Let me say a big welcome to all of you for joining me here. I'm going to call these blog meetings Case's Column. I wanted to use "Corner", but that was already taken. Since 2008, it's been a real privilege to come on here and share some of my life with you, and it's a big world where we live.

In these blogs, I'll just speak whatever is on my mind, but we will be playing within the rules here. I may pick a particular topic, point out an event, or shoot the breeze. I'm a little bit of an essayist at times, so I'll just speak what's on my mind, and I might tell a story or two. Or, I might spew out an opinion or three. There will be some serious moments, some tender, some poignant, but there will also be those moments that you'll just bust out laughing. But, hopefully, everything will be in good fun here. And, of course, there's a place below for your comments and thoughts as we go along here. So feel free to join me for the ride -- I sure as heck hope I'm doing this right and not making any mistakes.

Thanks for taking your time in reading Case's Column. Hopefully, you'll enjoy being entertained by it as much as I've enjoyed putting these writings together. And thanks for the time you spend in City-Data.com, where it's great to be alive!

Regards,

case44

1. Old Comment
  2. Old Comment

Baseball Needs To Give Up On Retiring Uniform Numbers

I think you're on to something here. Paying tribute to great players is one thing, but sooner or later, teams are going to run out of numbers. What's wrong with new players on, say, the Yankees if a rookie wants to wear Yogi Berra's old number? They ought to have a chance at that.
  3. Old Comment

Uncle Mike Sees That His Playing Days Are Over

Brantley was one of the greatest to ever pick up a bat. What he did for your Astros was nothing short of amazing. Imagine if he'd stayed healthy.
  4. Old Comment

Case's Thought For The Day: Relationship Advice (As It Were)

Well, in any event, you'll get a reaction.
  5. Old Comment
  6. Old Comment

What If We Just Skip February And Go Right Into March?

I’ve heard of lake effect snow next to the small playa lakes in Lubbock, so Lake Ray Hubbard (for example) producing that wouldn’t seem that surprising.
  7. Old Comment

What If We Just Skip February And Go Right Into March?

You won't believe this, but my local area meteorologists were talking about lake effect snow actually happening in North Texas. First time I've heard this, but we do have several lakes in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Now, as I mentioned upstairs, that stuff usually happens in the Great Lakes states, but you never see it anywhere else. And that snow this area got overnight into this morning was just simply that.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas...ke-effect-snow
  8. Old Comment

You Can't Trust A Dishonest Government

It'd be nice to have transparency and integrity in our government again. We need Trump today, folks, and not wait until next year.
  9. Old Comment

Case's Faves For Steaks: You'll Want To Know These Places

Las Brisas is still there in Lubbock off 114th Street, just haven’t been in a while.
  10. Old Comment

You Can't Trust A Dishonest Government

This caption on YouTube basically sez it all. This is what today's Democrats do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMBVA9FxmY
  11. Old Comment

The Sports World Just Needs To Let Go Of The Houston Astros' Cheating Scandal

I don’t want to say that similar things will happen with the Astros, but Philadelphia Eagles fans had to endure the repercussions of booing a guy in a Santa outfit (some say he was inebriated) 40 years after the incident. Closer to home, Oklahoma fans still occasionally bring up the ending to the 2005 Texas Tech football game (Henderson was over the goal line as ruled, in my view).

Anyway, my guess is that all of those things, plus the Astros’ stuff, will still be brought up, but the younger generations will (eventually) get bored of the discussion.
  12. Old Comment

Singing The Car Wash Blues: Pay More, Get Less

Inflation is apparently not just limited to food, housing, and gasoline. Car washes these days want Fort Knox.
  13. Old Comment

Scattershooting / Counting The Blessings We Still Have

Loved where you put that alligator. Your timing is just impeccable.
  14. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shoe01 View Comment
    An H-E-B Grocery in the H-E-B part of D/FW sounds like an old Seinfeld episode.

Lots of new stuff to see in both places where you’re considering a visit.

A location in Euless (the E portion of Hurst-Euless-Bedford) had been bought by H-E-B. I expect they'll build there in the next couple of years. Stay tuned.
  15. Old Comment

An H-E-B Grocery in the H-E-B part of D/FW sounds like an old Seinfeld episode.

Lots of new stuff to see in both places where you’re considering a visit.
  16. Old Comment

Your Writer Is Still Trying To Digest A Texas Rangers Miracle

Growing up in TX, I thought that the World Series was something that teams in other states won, or even reached. The Rangers were handicapped for the reasons you mentioned, while the Astros couldn’t get consistent crowds in its cookie cutter stadium (as cutting-edge as it was for its time). Then the Astrodome was probably made worse by the expansion that the other tenant’s owner requested.

The replacement ballpark was/is a lot better, but the original title sponsor fiasco, along with the slow development of the area around the current Minute Maid Park, probably got it off to a less-than-ideal start.

Now, things are great at both places.
  17. Old Comment

I-69 Update: NE And SW, Houston Is Ready To Add More Miles

Still waiting for the changes to get posted in full view, as well as online.
  18. Old Comment

Astros vs. Rangers: The Silver Boot 2023 And Keeping Fingers Crossed

In retrospect, Houston did win the Silver Boot in the 2023 regular season. The thing was, they came up short in the ALCS when the post-Silver Boot battle had a little reprise. The Astros fell short, but the Texas Rangers actually rose up and got their revenge.

And, by now, you know the rest of the story. The Rangers would cruise through the World Series and actually win it! The Miracle in Arlington. Now, a real rivalry is on.
  19. Old Comment

The Latest Find In Lubbock: An El Paso Institution Makes Inroads

Haven’t seen it talked about on the premium site I subscribe to, X, or elsewhere, but could have easily missed it. It seems like new restaurants open there with some frequency, as illustrated by the Lubbock in the Loop site. That said, hope it is successful.
    Updated 12-16-2023 at 04:01 AM by shoe01
  20. Old Comment

The Latest Find In Lubbock: An El Paso Institution Makes Inroads

Lubbock will be on my bucket list for either next year or the next one, but Corralito could be on my curious list to, at least, do a little nibbling.