Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > jbgusa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

Coronavirus in Massachusetts

People just need to revolt against the alleged powers that be. We can't take the media or the government seriously anymore, and we all know that this "latest outbreak" is not even about COVID in the first place.
  2. Old Comment

Fodder for future posts and reviews

Covid was a well used disaster. How did all of the countries know to do the same thing at the same time? And the vaccines! What a mess that turned out to be. The cure is worse than the disease. No one can deny that this was a political hard ball. The survivoribility of covid as very very high....look at the numbers and it will tell you all you need to know. Now we have a bunch of people running around with strained immune systems and God save us if something really serious gets out. Oh, and did you notice that saying that covid was a lab leak for 2 years got you thrown off social media? Now even the FBI director is getting on the lab leak bandwagon. People please open your eyes and see what is going on around you. It is in your face now...
  3. Old Comment

Did Sumptuary Laws in 18th Century England, Morph in Puritantism and Modern Self-Abnegation?

Covid Lab Leak, WW II, Biafra - When the World Does Nothing Until It's Too Late

Did Sumptuary Laws in 18th Century England, Morph in Puritantism and Modern Self-Abnegation

That is my response to your post, on the forum. Please try to answer there. Thank you

On the Podhoretz (not posted on Forum)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DillonBlanch
    Hi, I can confirm that Norman Podhoretz's book, "Why Are Jews Liberals?", explores the historical and cultural factors that may contribute to Jewish political beliefs and affiliations. It is certainly possible that some Jewish traditions and values, such as those related to charity, hospitality, and social justice, could align with liberal political principles. Additionally, the historical experiences of Jews, including discrimination and persecution, may influence their political views and loyalties. It is important to remember that political beliefs are complex and multifaceted, and are influenced by a variety of factors beyond just religion or culture.
    That is certainly true, but changing loyalties is like turning around a battleship; easier said than done.
  4. Old Comment

Covid Lab Leak, WW II, Biafra - When the World Does Nothing Until It's Too Late

Hi.

It is true that history is littered with missed opportunities and failures to act in the face of crises. There have been many instances where the international community has failed to intervene to prevent conflict or atrocities, or where nations have failed to take action to protect their own interests. However, it is important to remember that these failures are not inevitable, and that progress has been made in some areas. For example, the United Nations has helped to prevent many conflicts and has provided humanitarian assistance to millions of people around the world. The international community has also taken steps to address issues like climate change and human rights abuses. While there is still much work to be done, it is important to acknowledge the progress that has been made and to continue striving for a better future.
  5. Old Comment

Did Sumptuary Laws in 18th Century England, Morph in Puritantism and Modern Self-Abnegation?

Hi.
    There is a complex historical relationship between sumptuary laws, Puritanism, and modern self-abnegation, but it is not accurate to say that one directly morphed into the other.
    Sumptuary laws were a set of regulations that aimed to regulate people's dress and behavior, based on their social status. These laws were widespread in medieval and early modern Europe, including England in the 16th and 17th centuries. The laws were intended to reinforce social hierarchies by restricting people's consumption of certain goods and services, including clothing, food, and entertainment.
    Puritanism, on the other hand, was a religious movement that emerged in the 16th and 17th centuries, particularly in England and North America. Puritans believed in a strict interpretation of the Bible and emphasized personal piety, morality, and discipline. While some Puritans supported sumptuary laws as a means of promoting modesty and discouraging extravagance, others rejected them as an infringement on personal freedom and an unnecessary distraction from spiritual concerns.
    Modern self-abnegation, or the practice of denying oneself certain pleasures or luxuries, is a more recent phenomenon that is not directly linked to sumptuary laws or Puritanism. It may be influenced by religious or philosophical beliefs, or by personal choices related to health, environmentalism, or minimalism.
    In summary, while there are historical connections between sumptuary laws, Puritanism, and modern self-abnegation, these are distinct and complex phenomena that cannot be simplified into a direct morphing or causal relationship.
  6. Old Comment

Why are Jews Liberals and Democrats?

Hi, I can confirm that Norman Podhoretz's book, "Why Are Jews Liberals?", explores the historical and cultural factors that may contribute to Jewish political beliefs and affiliations. It is certainly possible that some Jewish traditions and values, such as those related to charity, hospitality, and social justice, could align with liberal political principles. Additionally, the historical experiences of Jews, including discrimination and persecution, may influence their political views and loyalties. It is important to remember that political beliefs are complex and multifaceted, and are influenced by a variety of factors beyond just religion or culture.
  7. Old Comment

Why are Jews Liberals and Democrats?

Roosevelt, a democrat, entered the US into WWII, to fight against the Japanese and Nazis. The US troops were an important part of freeing Jews from the Concentration Camps, and ending WWII.
  8. Old Comment

Streets of London

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]Hi, there my name is samar i really enjoy your content i hope you will also enjoy my content i wirte about [buy smtp online <a herf="https://smtpget.com/smtp-service-provider/">buy smtp online</a>
    Posted 09-20-2022 at 11:06 PM by smtp service provider smtp service provider is offline
  9. Old Comment
    Posted 04-19-2022 at 10:14 PM by Maks from Ukraine Maks from Ukraine is offline
  10. Old Comment

The Case for the Nuclear Option

I like the [B]nuclear [/B]options. We should have them on the table always.
  11. Old Comment

Posts from elsewhere for reuse

I was embarrassed and belittled at work for my weight until I tried this https://shrinke.me/dHGOgP
  12. Old Comment

Should The Age Of Consent Be Higher, Lower Or Remain As It Is

Hi people, I watched a video that changed me dramatically, I want you to watch this and change your life for better https://shrinke.me/uwRAne4
  13. Old Comment

Moderator reports starting 1-2-2020

Apparently, not an intelligent one....
  14. Old Comment

Nonviolence doesn't always work

Sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it does. I'ts up to g-d to decide
  15. Old Comment

Do Relationships Make for Happiness? (I believe so)

Indeed, some people just use relationships for their own purposes and both are satisfied with such a "family". They are basically unhappy people.
    Posted 09-03-2020 at 12:03 PM by martin.t.grand martin.t.grand is offline
  16. Old Comment

My Two Fathers

Thanks for your story! Fathers are so important in children's lives, even if they are not their own blood!
    Posted 09-03-2020 at 11:24 AM by martin.t.grand martin.t.grand is offline
  17. Old Comment
  18. Old Comment
  19. Old Comment

How Should Violent Street Criminals be Handled?

An eye for an eye? Wasn't that meant as a limitation?

Violent Street Criminals? We can't charge & prosecute them as normal? & the whole point of trial & incarceration (if found guilty) was to try to rehabilitate the offender. Perhaps if we took up that emphasis again, & quit trying to make money (private prisons as investments, factories whose entire work force are incarcerated, & paid miserable sums) off the inmates - we might be able to come up with treatment that leads to better outcomes for the prisoners & for the society @ large - when the prisoner is released.

@ some point, we might even be able to inculcate personality changes (implant ethics, as it were - although that in itself would probably count as violence - of a sort - I think). Would that be justifiable? Probably not ethically - but as self-defense? We'll have to see just how desperate we - as a society - get, before we can definitively answer that question.
  20. Old Comment

No to Proposed Cell Phone Ban While Walking!

Well, I would have been up a creek in March when I came to NYC (first time ever!) with my 4 youngest kids (ages 15-22).

You know, here in Colorado Springs we are at the foot of one of America’s most famous 14’ers; Pikes Peak. The mountains are to the west.

But I got a bit turned around in Times Square our first night there & had to follow the tracker app on my phone to get back to the hotel. I asked plenty of police for directions & they just sent me in a circle.

I really think that’s a bit much but there is a lot of ‘for your own good’ sentiment out there right now.