Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > emeraldsky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

too many peppermint patties and the CD allure

I've been on CD for a couple of months but have my blog at another location. Ah and I have a new CD blog too
  2. Old Comment

3 years, wow, that is dedication FedupWNY. I was doing so good at not being addicted to CD anymore, for about 3 weeks I think... now I am all but given up for lost.
  3. Old Comment

the island of Terceira and 1st kisses

Thanks for sharing that kristynwy. I love to hear "how we met" stories. It's neat you were friends for so long.

My husband's 1st kiss was the night he asked me to marry him. And that did mean a lot to me. I was 21 and he was 23. (And then he was a crazy kissing maniac from that point on... )

I have to admit I don't regret the other kisses I had in my life though. I'm just grateful I waited when it came to the important stuff...
  4. Old Comment

Mt. Rushmore

We did! We had family visiting from Denver so we showed them the sights... that Bear Country USA was incredible. We were laughing so hard at one point I was crying. One bear coming up behind us, another not getting out of the way in front (just waddling along...) it was hilarious. So cool really. And those babies... did you see that little runt, the light brown one? Too adorable. And I really love the reptile gardens. It was raining when we went though so the very old turtles were hiding and we didn't get to see the snake show or them feed the gators. We'll have to go back. So much to do in the Rapid City area... Glad you got to go too.

Okay, people... I'll give you more time on that quiz... till next Wednesday... It's really not that hard. I know you can get 2 of the presidents at least...
  5. Old Comment

My favorite roll recipe (cinnamon rolls too)

njmike, yeah, I wish I could have handed out samples with the recipe

kaykay, you can do it. Just try it. I had to teach myself how to make bread and I'm not so talented with cooking/baking either. But it can be done!

kristynwy, if you do get a chance to try the recipe, tell me how it goes - sometimes I'll make 24 rolls, 12 cinnamon rolls (so you can have both)
  6. Old Comment

That is such a sweet story!
    My first kiss was my husband... believe it our not... We were best buddies for a while(several years) before we became romantically involved... We used to go on walks through the woods on his parent's acreage in Oregon(foothills of the cascades outside of Silverton) and at night we would lay down and stare at the stars together... He was quite the gentleman... and then we only could see each other during the summer's cause he lived in Louisiana at the time... But his parents owned the property my parents rented a place on, as well as property right next door... But we kept in contact very well long distance.

We held hands a lot but did not kiss... We were kind of old fashioned as well as shy and we believed at the time if we weren't going to get married we didn't want to be kissing someone else's spouse haha. I really admired that in him and he did in me also... But we didn't look down on others that chose to, just was something we did...

So my first kiss was at a beach on the Oregon Coast where my husband proposed to me I was 19 at the time
  7. Old Comment

Yum! I will have to try to make these! If I do I will let you know how they turn out
  8. Old Comment

Mt. Rushmore

Beautiful shots! We went to Mt. Rushmore about this same time, although we went Memorial Day Weekend...

Did you go to the Reptile Museum or Bear Country while you were in the area? I love those two places! So much fun

Sounds like a fun weekend!
  9. Old Comment

I'm sure they're excellent and if I weren't so cooking/baking challenged, I'd try my hand at them!
    Updated 06-24-2008 at 12:29 PM by kaykay
  10. Old Comment

Can I get some mailed to me???? I just got very hungry.
    Posted 06-24-2008 at 08:06 AM by East Coast Wanderer East Coast Wanderer is offline
  11. Old Comment

A better bird ending

AAAwww, I love this story..Thank you..Even the birds of the air have the instinct to protect their young at any cost..
  12. Old Comment

Anne's diary and the Holocaust

Summering, that was inspiring to read...

Clay Lady (I hope you're doing well) I'm glad you brought that up. I was thinking of slavery too when I wrote the above, that huge injustice on our own soil, but had thought I'd already written too much to go on. It is mind boggling to think anyone could ever think it okay to own another human being. And sadly there is slavery going on today in other capacities. Those Jim Crow laws, etc. were a sad, sorry extension of that practice.
  13. Old Comment

work doesn't always feel like work

I remember when my kids were young and we all worked together they thought it was fun..When they became adolescents they changed their minds
  14. Old Comment

Oh, that is too cute, the kindergarten kiss. (I think that counts.)
    I've heard chocolate (to aide breakouts) and braces are a viable option to ward off that first-kiss encounter, for awhile at least.
    I know, I'm hoping my just turned 10yr old is a long ways off from kissing. (Funny how our perspective changes once we're parents.)
    For now, I'm just trying my best to teach him how to respect girls. I've seen him open doors for girls at the school when I drop him off (way to go son!) and scramble to help a girl when she fell... he also has an appointment with an orthodontist in August and I anticipate he'll be in braces for awhile...
  15. Old Comment

Knowledge is good.

I think it is good to read and remember the horrors of the Holocaust. I believe it helps to open your heart to all the injustice in our world. Sharing the story with your children helps to open discussions that you may not have any other way.

In America we have the sad history of slavery that was at first out in the open based on the need for cheap labor. After the Civil War the need for cheap labor began a hidden slavery of sorts. Blacks (in the South) were charged with made up charges - jailed - then they were used for various hard labor jobs that the jailers were paid for their work - not the workers. Blacks were given poor educational opportunities in a effort to control them. This was a commen practice until the late sixties.

Knowledge is the only way to be free.
  16. Old Comment

my first day of kindergarten and I got in trouble for kissing a girl on the bus on the way home...oh you said real kiss.
    That would be the summer after the 7th grade, I was 13, almost 14 and we had our first real boy/girl party. My oldest daughter is gonna be 13 next year..Im really, really thinking way, way older is better-lol
  17. Old Comment

Not much of a chocolate eater, but CD is the first I do to when I get up and the last before going to sleep every night. I am so happy I found this place.

Coming from a 3 year blogger, it's great that the new blogs feature is catching on.
  18. Old Comment

It's the combination of peppermint and CHOCOLATE
    Posted 06-20-2008 at 06:09 PM by East Coast Wanderer East Coast Wanderer is offline
  19. Old Comment

Oh, that's funny blue... takes away from the moment, huh.

As a mom now, I think older is better too...
  20. Old Comment

We had to read the diary of Anne Frank many times in school. She was a brave, spunky girl.
    The horror of that time is very mindboggling........
    I would have shot myself, before shooting another person, gosh forbid,........group of people. Who has a soul that can allow that? Just seeing one train "full" of people would have made me a traitor to that country......because I would have run pennyless, lost, and with no food.........looking to the other side ( US ) for help.
    A story that was a true story, and I also do not remember the name, is one where the American soldiers and the German soldiers happen upon a cabin at Christmas time. Each group sitting on one side of the table while the owners cooked the Christmas Eve meal.
    Their eyes told much......Looking at each other in a friendly way.......knowing they were at war and were enemies. Both sides leaving the cabin the next day.