U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > SoFLGal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

Fun things to do with the kids

Great post !! on Fun things to do with the kids. ALL the fun games shared by you is just amazing. We all perform these activities with kids once in our life.
  2. Old Comment

Fun things to do with the kids

6 Things You Can Do With Your Baby For Learning Through Play:

1. Rhymes and Songs
    Babies love to be talked to, musical and rhythmic sounds are easier and soothing for him rather than normal speech. According to research, rhythmic songs and games encourage early speech. Do not miss a chance to sing a soothing lullaby to your baby.
    1. Simple Games
    Peek-a-boo is one of the oldest and the best games one can play with the babies. Babies find this game endlessly amusing when you hide your face with your hands or a towel or scarf and peeks out at him by saying ‘peek-a-boo’. They develop a sense of humor at an early age.

3) Rolling a ball is again a game loved by all children and the best example of learning through play. When your baby is able to sit without support, roll a colorful, large and softball towards him. He’ll learn to push it back and a real game will start improving his senses.
    1. Feed Senses and Curiosity
    Everything is new and interesting for your baby. He will try to hold everything which you will give him. A baby explores the world through his senses. Try to keep him in a sitting position so that he can see around. Leave small and safe toys within his reach. He will love to hear the noise that toys make and handle them.

The kitchen is the best source of interesting toys for your babies such as plastic cups, ladles, spoons, spatulas, lids or egg cartons. Let your baby create his own music with them. Make sure he does it under an adult supervision only.
    1. Toys and Books
    Choosing toys wisely could help to enhance fine motor skills, mental development, and hand-eye coordination. Toys should be soft, attractive and simple. Mobile toys hanging 25cm above a cot or pram would hold his interest. Noisy toys such as rattles, musical toys are fun for the young babies.
    1. Physical Play
    Young babies love to play rocking games, bouncing and swinging with you. These help him to be aware of his movement skills. He will learn to balance and coordinate as well as walking and crawling.

Source: www.wondeparenting.com
  3. Old Comment

West coast vs. east coast of Florida

Is Sarasota a good/safe place to raise a family?

Hi, I have been seeing recurring themses about Sarasota being a great place to live, but what is it like to raise a family ? Are there a lot of young parents and things for kids to do? What is the school system like?

Also, I am a social worker with a master's degree and my husband would like to find a job in the law enforcement field. Would it be easy to find jobs for us there?

Last question is...how close will we be from the beach depending on where we live and what are the prices for the homes?

Any input would be greatly appreciated
    Posted 01-06-2018 at 01:39 PM by Makin the move Makin the move is offline
  4. Old Comment

Nokomis vs. Venice

احلى ميس
  5. Old Comment

Sarasota County High Schools

Do you know anything about Venice schools? Englewood schools?
    Posted 09-07-2016 at 05:07 PM by karenkellywriter karenkellywriter is offline
  6. Old Comment

What I love about Sarasota/Charlotte and Manatee county's

Dear SoFlogal,
    Thank you so very much for all your informative feedback!! We are planning a road trip soon in search of a retirement/relocation home, starting in the Hilton Head area and ending up in Sarasota. The road trip ends on the east coast of Florida where family lives. Thanks again!! I will keep you posted!!!
  7. Old Comment
  8. Old Comment
  9. Old Comment

Beachfront in SW FL

Prices vary

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic4266 View Comment
    Prices?
    Prices vary greatly depending on if the property is beachfront or bayfront.

If it's on the water there are many things to take into consideration--does it have a dock? If, so what is it made of? Trex Deck? Concrete? Wood? What is the condition of the dock? Does it have a seawall, riprap, nothing? What is the condition? Does it have a boat lift? If so, how many pounds? How deep is the water? How wide is the canal? Is the property on sailboat water (no bridges is more valuable)? Or are there bridges, if so what are the heights? How long is the trip out to "open water"? The shorter trip, the better and more valuable the property is. These are just a few things to consider when evaluating the water and location portion of the home.

Then you take a look at the home itself. If it is a flood zone, (which if it's on the water, it most likely would be), you'd need an elevation cert to have your insurance provider give a quote for flood insurance.

There are other things to consider when evaluating the home itself like the age of the home. Is the home concrete block, wood, etc? How close the home is to a natural body of water or fire hydrant. If the roof is hip or gable or a combo of two? Does it have hurricane shutters or impact glass? Is the garage door Miami-Dade compliant? How is the roof tied down? Those are just a few things that the insurance companies look at.

So, when you ask for prices, there are a lot of factors to consider.

If you have a specific price range or area in mind I can work with you on that if you'd like to contact me.

Shannon Moore, Broker/Owner
    Green Lion Realty
    941-276-8142
    twomoores19@comcast.net
    www.GreenLionRealty.com
    www.TropicalFloridaProperty.com
  10. Old Comment
  11. Old Comment

Interesting Florida Facts—

Hi Southern FL Girl:
    We are in need of some advice. Our family is relocating from Winter Springs, FL to Broward Co. for work in Miami Lakes.
    The real estate market is doing well but buying right away seems too impulsive.
    A safe area with excellent middle schools is our priority. we have considered Weston, Parkland, and Pembroke Pines based on advice and school ratings.
    What can you tell us about quality of life, schools, and affordability and comparable cities to ones I've listed?

Thanks!
  12. Old Comment

Interesting Florida Facts—

[url]www.aventuramaps.com[/url]
    [url]www.bocadirectory.com[/url]
    [url]www.bocamaps.com[/url]
    [url]www.bocawhitepages.com[/url]
    [url]www.buybocahomes.com[/url]
    [url]www.buyhighlandbeach.com[/url]
    [url]www.delray411.com[/url]
    [url]www.delraymap.com[/url]
    [url]www.floridagaydirectory.com[/url]
    [url]www.highlandbeachliving.com[/url]
    [url=http://www.infopalmbeachgardensfl.com]Home[/url]
    [url]www.mapspalmbeach.com[/url]
    [url]www.parklandinfo.com[/url]
    [url]www.realestatedelrayfl.com[/url]
    [url=http://www.westonmaps.com]Home[/url]
    [url=http://www.wiltonmanorsliving.com]Wilton Manors, Ft. Lauderdale Luxury Real Estate[/url]
    [url=http://www.addisonreserveliving.com]Addison Reserve* -* Delray Beach FL Info and Real Estate[/url]
    [url]www.lesjardinboca.com[/url]
    [url]www.toscana411.com[/url]
    [url=http://www.saintandrewsccboca.com]Saint Andrews Boca Country Club Luxury Real Estate[/url]
  13. Old Comment

Sw Florida beachfront and coastal communities

Thanks for the great information on all of these areas. I have vacationed on St. Pete Beach for the last 5 years and fell in love with that area. I am currently looking to relocate and start with renting a house. I am finding most of St. Petersburg is older houses in not great shape, and some not in the safest of neighborhoods. I may extend my search to cover larger area. My plan is to get there and than hit the pavement for a job. Down the road would like to rent a little space and open up a little shop. Florida is a beautiful place!
  14. Old Comment

Sarasota and Charlotee 55+ communities

Hi Dear,
    Am Mercy Nice to meet you at facebook Please contact me with private email (mercymabu966 @ yahoo.in)I have important issue to share with you. I choose private email because i did not access facebook always. Have a nice day.
    Mercy.
  15. Old Comment

What I love about Sarasota/Charlotte and Manatee county's

I love your blog on the Englewood area. A lot of very helpful information. My husband and I would love to move there but haven't found jobs yet. He currently works for the University of Wisconsin in leasing and property management. Do you have any recommendations on companies he could send his resume to? Also, I am wondering about the economy there. How is retail? On a side note there is a full on blizzard going on right now! Get me out of here!
  16. Old Comment

What are CDD fees?

Where can you get training for efficient HOA management in Columbus OH?
  17. Old Comment

Green Lion Realty-Sarasota, Charlotte & Manatee county's

Hi Shannon,
    My name is Angela Marvin, I am the Owner of OrgreenX, LLC which is an Organic 100% Chemcial Free Pest Control Company. I would love to see if we can talk briefly about what we could do for you and your properties. We are dedicated to ensuring a safer and healthy environment for our children, pets and waterways. Please visit our website: [URL="http://www.orgreenx.com"]www.orgreenx.com[/URL]
    Let me know if we can talk. (941)228-1970 or you can call my husband at the office (941) 896-2852 his name is Angel.
  18. Old Comment

What about the Sarasota and Manatee county schools?

Verona Walk - Venice, FL - Looking for information on the community - builder: Taylor Morrison. Would like info on builder quality/warranty work; location, etc. Retirees so no need on school system info. Thanks so much.
  19. Old Comment

What about the Sarasota and Manatee county schools?

Willow Chase - North Venice, FL - Looking for your perspective on this community - builder: DR Horton. Not concerned about school system because we are retired. Would like info on builder quality/warranty work; area location, etc. Thanks so much.
  20. Old Comment

North Port, Florida ~ A Great Place to Call Home!

The town of North Port and their elected officials are very corrupt. I have a problem with my neighbor who’s fence facing me is green with mold and refuses to clean it. I called Code Enforcement and was told that it was my neighbor responsibility to clean it. The next day Code Enforcement sent two people out and they were in compliance and told me that it was my neighbor’s responsibility to clean the fence. That was until they found out that my neighbor was a town employee. They did a 180. I called Linda Yates and she seemed concerned and had Jonathan Lewis the town manager call me. He said they have no code that covers this problem. The following code covers the problem I have. Now I have to get all the crooked officials in town to enforce it and stop taking care of their own. We definitely have a double standard in this town. If anyone else is having problems like this please let me know. We can unite and fight City Hall. We have a code that the town refuses to enforce.

Section 42-24 paragraph A states” Sec. 42-24. - Responsibilities of property owners; penalties for offenses; other remedies property owners who own lots or yards located within the corporate limits of this municipality shall be subject to and included under the provisions of this article and are hereby required to keep such lots cleared of weeds, high grass, brush, debris and any other noxious material of any kind which tend to be breeding places or havens for snakes, rats and vermin of all kinds and character or tend to be breeding places for mosquitoes or which tend to create a fire and health hazard and endanger the lives and property of the citizens of this City or which tend to create a nuisance or other unsightly or unsanitary conditions or, in general appearance and atmosphere, tend to have a decreasing value on the neighboring property and premises.
    Bob Englar 447-3360
    "]benglar@comcast.net"]