Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > jbgusa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

Do we even believe in ourselves, or not? (Capital punishment or true life without parole not happening)

Posted 04-20-2022 at 10:23 AM by jbgusa

4-22-2022

This morning's paper contains this article, Michelle Alyssa Go murder: Alleged NYC subway shover mentally unfit for trial. Here you have an obviously deranged criminal who, for whatever reason, shoved a person of major value to society on the tracks in the path of an upcoming train. I know, I know, there's a presumption of innocence. Here, the defense, if there is one, is likely to be insanity. Can someone tell me what social value is served by this charade of keeping this...
Contrarian and Free Thinker
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Russia Never Really Part of West - From Potemkin to Pugachev to Holodomer & Onwards

Posted 04-19-2022 at 04:53 PM by jbgusa

The Asiatic/Oriental nature of the Russian people, from the steppes on eastward, did not really ever go away. Russia never really joined the West. See, e.g. The Orientalist: Solving the Mystery of a Strange and Dangerous Life was about Lev Nussenbaum, a Jewish author from Baku, Azerbeijan, and books written by him, including Blood and Oil in the Orient: My childhood in Baku and my hair-raising escape through the Caucasus and Stalin: The Career Of A Fanatic by Essad Bey a/k/a Lev Nussenbaum,...
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

The Case for the Nuclear Option

Posted 03-22-2022 at 03:12 PM by jbgusa

The Case for the Nuclear Option

The excellent analysis by Edward Luttwak in the August 1982 issue of Commentary Magazine (link), (which I will send a PDF copy of upon DM request) makes a case for a vital nuclear option in the Ukraine War (special military option) and indeed illustrates it. Ukraine is not a perfect country by any means but it is certainly better than Russia as controlled by Putin. Our response should be effective, and not limited to the "coordinated cries of...
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Were the French and American Revolutions Interconnected?

Posted 03-17-2022 at 03:35 PM by jbgusa
Updated 03-17-2022 at 04:29 PM by jbgusa

I just finished reading The Great Upheaval: America and the Birth of the Modern World, 1788-1800 by Jay Winik.

The Great Upheaval focuses on the American and French Revolutions and the bloody final days of Catherine the Great, Czarina of Russia. The author makes the argument that despite slow and sporadic communication over large distances, these events were heavily interconnected. It is well-known that during the 1790's many American leaders, particularly Federalists,...
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Russian Migrant Identity Struggle-‘I Don’t Want to Be Called Russian Anymore

Posted 03-05-2022 at 08:23 AM by jbgusa
Updated 03-05-2022 at 11:18 AM by jbgusa

Russian Migrant Identity Struggle-‘I Don’t Want to... and
Russian Immigrant Identity Struggle - ‘I Don’t Want to Be Called Russian Anymore'

‘I Don’t Want to Be Called Russian Anymore’: Anxious Soviet Diaspora Rethinks Identity; (link), excerpts below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
“I am really concerned that there could be animosity toward members of the Russian-speaking community,” said Mr. Levin, who is still haunted by the hostility he faced as a Jew in the former Soviet
Posted in Uncategorized