Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Blondebaerde
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

ON: Is it true that most companies won't hire an obese person?

Posted 09-08-2014 at 01:55 PM by Blondebaerde
Updated 12-15-2014 at 03:56 PM by Blondebaerde

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I heard a lot of people say that companies won't hire someone who is obese because they think they are lazy workers and their health insurance will cost too much
We can talk about biases all we want. Depending on school of thought, some say open discussion makes it worse, not better. Depends who you ask, and about what race (condition, gender, age: you name it).

My company has a great medical plan and basically foots the bill for people to be active. There are very...
Big Data
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

ON: Lack of Common Sense and Lovable Dunces

Posted 09-02-2014 at 12:15 PM by Blondebaerde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
We recently hired two new people in my department. One is competent, but the other lacks basic common sense. I had not had the opportunity to meet him in person until last week and was just surprised at how much of an airhead/ditz he is.

He had asked a lot of repetitive and simple questions before I met him, but he doesn't have another colleague who has done this role at the same site, so I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt, but was just disturbed by the lack of basic knowledge
Big Data
Posted in Uncategorized
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Is lazyness and incompentence common at your employer?

Posted 08-26-2014 at 12:56 PM by Blondebaerde
Updated 08-28-2014 at 10:07 PM by Blondebaerde

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Looking back at the places I have worked in the past it was amazing they stayed in business. So many people were lazy, inept and generally worthless but kept working there. Lots of mistakes, things that did not get done, outdated processes, poor use of technology and bad hires.

How are things at places you worked? If you were CEO and looking at firing people would you have a hard time finding people to fire?
Wow, that's great. Speaks volumes to the HR and recruiting...
Big Data
Posted in Uncategorized
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

ON: the Oso Landslide (3/22/14) and 'Why'

Posted 03-27-2014 at 04:56 PM by Blondebaerde
Updated 06-15-2014 at 08:51 AM by Blondebaerde

I have an undergraduate degree in Geology (Western Michigan University), but have not worked in the field since approximately 1997. Until that time, I collected soil samples (cores), worked with mineralized rock formations (primarily metamorphics, some sedimentary), and measured /monitored the flow of various contaminants in water tables.

Geomorphology is a required undergraduate course, and typically in Michigan involves the close study of glacial remnants. The Great Lakes are...
Big Data
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

ON: Not Having Children in Modern American Society

Posted 03-25-2014 at 04:58 PM by Blondebaerde
Updated 07-28-2014 at 08:23 AM by Blondebaerde

The numbers don't add up for having children in modern American society, raised to an upper middle class standard. Of my peers with children, almost all have both parents working. In one case, the mother does not work (to raise the children) because of the coldly-rational decision that two kids at top-end daycare is about $3,800/month. More than most mortgages in the Seattle area. Not much less than she'd net, if working as an IT admin, her previous vocation. Others, come to think of it, have...
Big Data
Posted in Uncategorized