Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,866 times

Advertisements

I thought at first it would feature something like a pair of small rear doors like the Mazda RX-8, something I could (sort of) deal with. Well it doesn't - it's just a conventional sedan, albeit quite nice looking....but it still doesn't have the special vibe the actual 6 series coupes usually exhibited.

So, to me this sedan looks to be simply the product of their marketing department to capitalize on the 6 series coupe's history. Kinda like slapping the Chips Ahoy name on all those varieties that include all kinds of weird stuff the tasty original never included, so they aren't actually Chips Ahoy cookies (O.K. not the closest analogy but whatever ).

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Audi A7, CLS550, Passat CC, Sonata, Fusion... it joins a laundry list of sedans with coupe-like styling sacrificing a bit of practicality for a bit of style. Personally, I like them, especially the A7 which gives up nothing and gains some cargo space all while looking a bit more interesting than your run of the mill A6 which is understated even for me. I guess since the 6 series was never anything special to me I don't see anything wrong with taking its name. It's not like it's a model with any venerable history.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
I havnt seen the new 6 series(and I am too lazy to google it), but I would imagine its along the same lines of the Benz CLS; that they call a 4 door coupe.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
I thought at first it would feature something like a pair of small rear doors like the Mazda RX-8, something I could (sort of) deal with. Well it doesn't - it's just a conventional sedan, albeit quite nice looking....but it still doesn't have the special vibe the actual 6 series coupes usually exhibited.

So, to me this sedan looks to be simply the product of their marketing department to capitalize on the 6 series coupe's history. Kinda like slapping the Chips Ahoy name on all those varieties that include all kinds of weird stuff the tasty original never included, so they aren't actually Chips Ahoy cookies (O.K. not the closest analogy but whatever ).

Opinions?
Have you looked at the direct competition?

The 4-door coupe segment are not dominated by RX-8 type vehicles, they fall into a different market, the 4-door coupes are large, often luxurious sedans with a more coupe like window/door line, but nevertheless full size 4 door sedans.

What they do is put more emphasis on the styling, sometimes sacrificing features like interior space and head space.

I would say that it hits the market spot on, and is an exciting new entry into a market Mercedes had almost by itself for a long time.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post

Opinions?
Actually I'd say it's more like BMW finally getting in on the "luxury sedan with coupe lines" game Mercedes started a decade ago with the CLS. And they're not the only ones -- see Audi A7 and Jaguar XJ. Basically the 6 Gran Coupe is just a 7-series with sleeker lines.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I think BMW dropped the ball here. Why turn a fabulous coupe into a 4 door when every other car in their lineup offers a sedan? They should have kept the 6 series a coupe. People who bought a 6 series bought it because it WAS a coupe.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Actually, the coupe designation comes due to having less-than-sedan rear interior volumes, not door count. Remember, there used to be 2 door sedans as well as 2 door coupes, and interior volume is what determined the difference, not door count.

A great visual example is this from 1932:

Coupe:

Sedan:

Or moving up to 1963...

Coupe:

Sedan:

This is now going the other way with 4 door cars, that have coupe rear volumes. Like the 6er Grand Coupe or the Passat CC.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Actually, the coupe designation comes due to having less-than-sedan rear interior volumes, not door count. Remember, there used to be 2 door sedans as well as 2 door coupes, and interior volume is what determined the difference, not door count.

A great visual example is this from 1932:

Coupe:

Sedan:

Or moving up to 1963...

Coupe:

Sedan:

This is now going the other way with 4 door cars, that have coupe rear volumes. Like the 6er Grand Coupe or the Passat CC.
I just dont see why anyone who is in the market for a BMW sedan would choose the smaller interior of the gran coupe over a true sedan such as the 5 series.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:20 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I just dont see why anyone who is in the market for a BMW sedan would choose the smaller interior of the gran coupe over a true sedan such as the 5 series.
Because the difference is actually small (and only in the rear seat area) and the Gran Coupe looks quite a bit better. In my opinion it's what the 5 series should have been from the start.

I love the nose of this thing:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....-coupe-628.jpg

http://uncrate.com/p/2011/12/bmw-6-s...n-coupe-xl.jpg

Last edited by TheViking85; 06-25-2012 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I think BMW dropped the ball here. Why turn a fabulous coupe into a 4 door when every other car in their lineup offers a sedan? They should have kept the 6 series a coupe. People who bought a 6 series bought it because it WAS a coupe.
And they can still buy the coupe if they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI