U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,898,955 times

Advertisements

If you live down the street from work a Hybrid would make perfect sense, especially if you're not driving very far...heck, if you never take the car on a road trip, you'd be set with a Chevy Volt, or Nissan Leaf. I had seriously considered the Buick LaCrosse as our next car, but then I learned it had 12 cubic feet of cargo space (my 06' Jetta had 16 cubic feet). We've got a growing family, and as such, needed some decent trunk space, and the "passive hybrid" design of the Buick's wasn't lending much for that. I wanted a Passat Diesel, but the dealer wouldn't "deal" so we ended up with a VW Jetta TDI from a different dealership. Given my commute, the hybrid option really wouldn't save me a whole lot. For short jaunts, or grocery getting it'd be fantastic, but for my daily 20 mile highway commute to work, I'd be using the gas engine the whole time, returning ok mileage, and be dealing with an underpowered and overweight car. With the diesel I'm only getting 35 mpg while driving around on city streets, but can hit 60+ mpg when cruising on the highway. My most recent road trip netted 51 MPG overall, which is rediculously amazing as far as I'm concerned....the downer, you have to fill up with the truckers on the interstate...and that can be somewhat awkward.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:28 PM

4,500 posts, read 10,996,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
NOX emissions from passenger diesels aren't really an issue here because they're required to meet the same emissions standards as petrol engines. That's a big part of why you see so few diesel-powered passenger cars here -- it's hard to make the economic case for them after spending even more money jumping through regulatory hurdles that are higher here than in Europe.

As for diesels versus hybrids in city driving... I'd still take the diesel. They have so much low-end torque that you barely have to tap the accelerator with your big toe to get 'em moving from a stop, so as long as you'e not jackrabbiting from stoplight to stoplight the real-world disparity between city and highway fuel economy isn't as drastic as for petrols.
Oh, don't get me wrong, from the drivers perspective the diesel wins every time, and that's my opinion having driven both, several times, I was speaking specifically about the pollution to the local environment off a diesel vs. a hybrid, there's really no competition, in a dense city environment the hybrid will be more (locally) environmentally friendly.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 AM

2,025 posts, read 3,522,817 times
welcome and overdue. The European diesel cars are not in the least like the crappy GM diesels that have killed the market for decades. They scoot nicely and get great mileage.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 AM

4,691 posts, read 8,937,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
now if we can just get the american automakers to build new diesels for their cars.
They already Build them, just need them in the US. My last overseas vacation (Ireland Oct 2011) had me in a Ford Focus diesel for 15 days. Drove in a similar fashion to my '01 Jetta TDI and was at least as efficient, if not more so, when it came to fuel use. If they put that same engine in the new Fusion (I like the styling), they might succeed in making me eat crow and break my anti-US vehicle buying habits. But they won't, so I'm 100% safe.

It's BMW, so I understand the whole "more power" thing, they're trying to maintain an image. I just wish VW would DROP that whole mentality and shift back into economy mode. The Jetta doesn't NEED 140hp, as they proved with the MKIV line of cars, and I would GLADLY take a 36% increase in fuel economy over that same difference in power (the MKIV Jettas put down 90hp to the ground, and had that 36% increase in fuel economy over the current "barely better than a gasser" crop ~ it's the main reason we haven't bought a new car).

Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM

4,500 posts, read 10,996,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
They already Build them, just need them in the US. My last overseas vacation (Ireland Oct 2011) had me in a Ford Focus diesel for 15 days. Drove in a similar fashion to my '01 Jetta TDI and was at least as efficient, if not more so, when it came to fuel use. If they put that same engine in the new Fusion (I like the styling), they might succeed in making me eat crow and break my anti-US vehicle buying habits. But they won't, so I'm 100% safe.

It's BMW, so I understand the whole "more power" thing, they're trying to maintain an image. I just wish VW would DROP that whole mentality and shift back into economy mode. The Jetta doesn't NEED 140hp, as they proved with the MKIV line of cars, and I would GLADLY take a 36% increase in fuel economy over that same difference in power (the MKIV Jettas put down 90hp to the ground, and had that 36% increase in fuel economy over the current "barely better than a gasser" crop ~ it's the main reason we haven't bought a new car).
The great thing about the BMW engine is that you bet the best of both, incredible MPG as well as good power, which is why it won engine of the year three times in a row in Europe.

In Europe, you can actually buy a detuned version of this 180hp engine that has 136hp, it gets no better MPG figures, in fact they're a little worse.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,083,838 times
I can't believe the accountants in Munich would even consider bringing over the diesel 4 to the States. Considering how much of a premium they charged for their last diesel on the 3-series I doubt they'd sell more than a handful. People who want the MPG advantages of diesel are price-sensitive and asking them to shell out another $4k on top of an overly inflated $40k~44k for a compact car is crazy. It's no wonder Audi is eating their lunch and steadily gaining ground in the luxury market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI